Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your next guitar, a Larrivee or something else?  (Read 8018 times)
nolifebutbmx

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2013, 08:50:53 AM »

kwakatak, great work man! seriously impressive. i looked through your whole build process photos. really well documented. I'm eager to see it done.

seriously, guys, check it out. it will make you wanna build one.

OMV-03r short scale
Grapefruit

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2013, 09:23:36 AM »

kwakatak, great work man! seriously impressive...........seriously, guys, check it out. it will make you wanna build one.

+1

I quite agree. That build is looking great! A self-build is definitely an option. I could see myself being bitten by that particular bug. Must make you feel fantastic to be creating something like that.

G afro

Steady tapping cracks the stone

D-03, L03R-12, Martin 000-15SM
(....and others long gone and either forgotten or fondly missed)
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 02:20:49 PM »

Thanks, guys. It can be a frustrating process though and you don't know what you're gonna get until you put then strings on.

Now if Larrivee would make a jumbo body with a cedar top I'd have proceeded differently... whistling

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
LaminateBoy

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 03:12:05 PM »

I'd really, really like to get an RS-4 with humbuckers, but I also keep thinking about the Bourgeoise I played at the 12th Fret. However, summer is coming and I'm looking at a Honda CRF250L motorcycle which would completely wipe out the toy account.

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster
nolifebutbmx

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2013, 07:46:50 PM »

Kwakatak - i bet they'd do it for you, you should hit up a dealer and figure it out. bet that would be nice.

laminateboy - personally, i'd go with the motorcycle if you already have guitars you love playing. thats what i did last year, haven't regretted it for a second. hard to carry a guitar with you on a bike, though...

OMV-03r short scale
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »

Laminateboy - Motorcycle = more MPG = lower gas consumption at the pump = savings that can be applied to the next guitar. Looks like you have a good selection of guitars to choose from so get the bike. My answer would be different if you only had one guitar and gas was 35 cents a gallon like it was when I had my Honda Super 90 and my 1970 VW Beetle.

I only need a mahogany 6 string to fill the missing gap in my guitars. It will be a custom Martin D-35S (12 fret slope shouldered dread with three piece mahogany back,mahogany sides and tortiseshell binding) to complement (and visually contrast) my other two Martins.

After that, nice to haves would be a pair of Larrivees (Flamed Maple 12 string with venetian cutaway and a Koa Parlor) to complement the two I already have. To my eye and ear, nobody makes a better 12 string (that I can afford) than Larrivee and their L and Parlor body sizes are among the best designs on the market. I don't know where they find their wood supply but my two guitars have exceptional sound, texture and visual appeal.

If and when any of my grandchildren show an interest in playing the guitar, I will have a Little Martin HPL or Baby Taylor for them to cut their teeth on and then upgrade them to a Larrivee for their first guitar. If as Elvis did, I have "left the building" before that happens, my sons will have my guitars to pass along to them.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
placoustic11

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2013, 01:07:50 AM »

Beneteau dreadnaught  cutaway
Oh Yeah!!!!!
bargemule

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »

awaiting my first, which I hope will be an OM-03R to complement my S&P spruce/rosewood dread.

Larrivée OM-03R
Simon & Patrick Pro Rosewood dread
Taylor GS mini Mahogany
Fender American Tele w/Bbender

Your guitar is not really a guitar.
Your guitar is a divining rod. Use it to find spirits in the other world and bring them over.
Captain Beefheart
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2013, 09:47:57 PM »

Something else. An L and a 000 are pretty good taste of Larrivee.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
lmacmil

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2013, 01:24:36 AM »

Had Gibsons for 40+ years and just sold my most recent one which I had for 15 years.  Have a Larrivee (OM-03) and a Taylor.  Next guitar will be a Martin.  I'm not a collector and have concluded that 3 guitars is my max (after having 4 for a year).  Not a believer in multiple guitars of the same brand.
LoMa

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2013, 04:03:42 AM »

Probably a short scale Martin rosewood and Adirondack 000 with 1-3/4" nut and a 2-1/4" string spread at the saddle, and with 1/4" scalloped braces. I want it built as light as Martin will make them. I like variety.

-Larrivee P-05 all quilted mahogany hogtop parlor
-Larrivee Special Edition Rosewood & sitka parlor
-Martin 0-15s slothead hogtop 12 fretter
-Martin 00-28v rosewood & adirondack
-Martin CEO-7 rosewood & adirondack

FOR SALE:
-Larrivee 00-3r short 24-3/4" scale, rosewood binding, Colosi bone nut & saddle. Very lush with overtones! $900 + shi
dneal

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2013, 06:36:33 AM »

My GAS had been in remission for 2 years or so.  I carefully manage it by staying away from guitar forums and not peeking at the classifieds or dealer specials...

Unfortunately, I played and bought a mahogany GS Mini and now have a full-blown outbreak.

An 0-15S is on it's way from Ted, and just looking at the latest batch of customs at Wildwood is killing me!!   crying

Froggy Bottom P12
Collings 001-Mh Custom
Larrivee P-03R
Larrivee OM-03R
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Alvarez-Yairi C116 (1980, with the maple binding)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2013, 03:27:58 PM »

Probably another something from this man, who lives not too far from me, and is considered one of the best in the world.

http://www.grafguitars.com/oskar.html

presently considering  his 40th Aniversary (one only) BR & Engleman, to go with the 1981 early Steel String of his I already own.

Presently I have 6 or 7 Larrivees. from made 1971-2012, and  as just as many hand made Godin guitars from 1980-2012.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Jonesy76

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2013, 04:28:43 PM »

Deposit just made to Wildwood Music for a new Larrivee Custom...........

So the answer to the question is.........

YES..........my next guitar WILL be another Larrivee.  bigrin 

Larrivee Custom LCJ-10-12E 'Baby Dragon' and vine-of-life inlay
Larrivee Custom C-10E 'Ddraig Bach' ('Baby Dragon')
Gibson Les Paul Historic '59
Legra custom-made Les Paul Doubleneck
1967 Shaftesbury LP Black Beauty copy now with Bareknuckle humbuckers and 1959 spec wiring loom.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2013, 04:31:11 PM »

Deposit just made to Wildwood Music for a new Larrivee Custom...........

So the answer to the question is.........

YES..........my next guitar WILL be another Larrivee.  bigrin 
what model and custom additions?

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Jonesy76

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »

what model and custom additions?
Very rare body type, and lots of custom appointments........
I'll spill more when its confirmed.
It is a 12 string though

Larrivee Custom LCJ-10-12E 'Baby Dragon' and vine-of-life inlay
Larrivee Custom C-10E 'Ddraig Bach' ('Baby Dragon')
Gibson Les Paul Historic '59
Legra custom-made Les Paul Doubleneck
1967 Shaftesbury LP Black Beauty copy now with Bareknuckle humbuckers and 1959 spec wiring loom.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2013, 05:33:53 PM »

Very rare body type, and lots of custom appointments........
I'll spill more when its confirmed.
It is a 12 string though
You have got my attention.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2013, 08:43:03 AM »

The last few guitars have been accidental discoveries. I hadn't consciously planned to get any of them and I wasn't looking for a guitar when I found them. I'm not looking now.

If I found a killer deal on an RS4, then maybe. But my expectations about price are completely unrealistic. I still remember when a dealer somewhere was blowing then out at ridiculous prices (No need to taint anyone else's perceptions with the amount. That was a few years ago).  There are a couple of them on Craigslist right now, but they are hundreds of dollars off the mark for me.

Except for a teuffel birdfish it's hard to imagine a guitar that would crack open my wallet.

teuffel birdfish

I played one at a once-in-a-lifetime event about 7 years ago. If I came across one locally, I would snap it up in a heart-beat but I'd want the midi version.  I had a line on one in California a few years ago, but that evaporated.

For acoustics - I'm set until the next surprise.

jammers5

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2013, 12:18:30 PM »

Me? I would like a D03 to match my d03r
whats yours? or are you going with another brand?
Dave

i am not sure i will ever need anything else besides my recently acquired LV-09. I have never owned an acoustic of this quality and can't imagine needing more.

let's see how that statement holds up in the next few years lol.

but seriously, since acquiring high end guitars and amps over middle of the road gear, my GAS has seriously subsided. now when i consider a purchase i ask myself "what will this do that my current guitar/amp won't?"

my LV-09 is such a fantastic guitar, that beat very Taylor Martin and Gibson I tried, that right now i can't imagine "upgrading!"

J5
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »

There's a Gibson small bodied 12 fret that almost jumps up into my lap every time I go to Guitar Center and forces me to play with it for 10 minutes or so. It has a 1 13/16" width neck so I've almost talked myself into making a nut for it with the strings shifted slightly to the treble side. I gave up on a LSV-11 because of the wider neck, but the string spacing trumps that extra 16th of real estate. I'm about to have a surplus of Larrivee OO's as soon as the Larrivee guys get around to finishing my warranty repair so. . .

Larrivee OO-05
Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB
Taylor 322ce
Recording King ROS-16
Various Strats

Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: