RS4 Fret Ends Question

Started by 1esotericguy, April 13, 2013, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just got my new RS4.   :guitar  It's a factory fresh guitar from a dealer.  So, the fret ends are beveled nicely and polished.  
My only beef with it is that the fret ends seem a little pronounced.  Has that ladder rung feeling when I run my hand up the neck.  It doesn't seem like fret sprout because the frets are all sitting nicely flush with the outside of the binding.  The frets are just very 'square' on the front profile.  And to be clear: this is not a case of blood drawing, 'cheese grater' fret ends.  I had that once on a low end Gibson.  This is more just a distraction than anything else.  Bought it online, so didn't play before purchase.  It's a slight bummer on an overall good NGD.  

The issue I'm having seems to be the same as what is being addressed in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-Hti5s8LP9A#!

Anyone else notice this on their Larrivee electrics?  
I'm curious if their standard fret profile just isn't compatible with me and my hand.  
My OM03 frets don't feel like this, but it's a Canada factory guitar.  I thought maybe the USA factory might go for a different fret finishing profile.  

Sometime's the plastic binding shrinks a bit,not a big deal but if your not handy have a qualified tech file and rebuff the ends.Or when you go in for your setup in a couple weeks have the round the ends.This use to show up on the acoustics.If your tech doesn't know how to do it I'd be happy to tell the the way to do it.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

i have 4 rs-4 guitars and haven't experienced what you're describing.   sounds like it could be due to shrinkage if the shop you bought it from didn't control humidity.  can you post pics?

My RS-4 doesn't suffer from this, but my RS-2 does somewhat. I haven't had it addressed yet (and I've had the RS-2 for about 2.5 years).  I've also noticed it ever so slightly on my D-03IS - again, haven't had it fixed.

As unclrob said, in the past Larrivee had some issues with this for a brief period - around a year or so, but they dealt with it ... for the most part. Obviously, a few of us have still gotten a guitar that's not "perfect"...and I also think it may be due to the ebony on the fingerboard shrinking/drying out a bit. (My Bakersfield with all maple neck is absolutely perfect!)
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Definately humidify your guitar ..it may be dried out and this would help. try putting a wet sponge in a tupperware dish without the lid, in the case where the cutout is.close the case and set it flat for a couple of days.
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Quote from: fritferret on April 13, 2013, 09:37:32 PM
i have 4 rs-4 guitars and haven't experienced what you're describing.   sounds like it could be due to shrinkage if the shop you bought it from didn't control humidity.  can you post pics?

No problem. Here's some pictures. Sorry, cell phone quality only.
Not sure there's much to see in the pictures.  The frets look quite nice and are burr free.
But they just feel a little too pronounced in my fretting hand palm.

[IMGhttp://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n17/1esotericguy/Random%20Guitar/null-3.jpg[/img]http://

From the looks of it its binding shrinkage.If you can see a slight gap between the binding and the bottom of the fret its shrinkage.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

to the op, i think i see what you're saying.  i actually like my frets like that, because i get just a hair more of usable area on the fret itself.  the frets on my rs-4 guitars aren't quite that square...there's a bit more of an angle at the ends of the fret.

i think this just comes down to a preference thing.  if you think it's a quality control issue, contact larrivee...but honestly, that looks like a nice fret job as far as i can tell.  i can post pics of mine if you want.

My Forum V does that just a little bit.  I chalked it up to the guitar moving from California to the New Mexican desert.  It doesn't bother me too much, but I definitely see what you are saying.
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

Quote from: unclrob on April 14, 2013, 12:11:01 AM
From the looks of it its binding shrinkage.If you can see a slight gap between the binding and the bottom of the fret its shrinkage.

I took a close look today and no gaps. Didn't use a magnifying lens, but it's tidy.  
Edges of all the frets have a tiny champfer on them too. So, they were definitely hit with a file at the factory.
I must just like a rounder fret than how they dress them.  I'm feeling the edge of the bevel going up and down the board.
But not the razor sharp issue that people usually have with fret sprout or shrinkage.  

Quote from: fritferret on April 14, 2013, 11:17:48 AM
to the op, i think i see what you're saying.  i actually like my frets like that, because i get just a hair more of usable area on the fret itself.  the frets on my rs-4 guitars aren't quite that square...there's a bit more of an angle at the ends of the fret.

i think this just comes down to a preference thing.  if you think it's a quality control issue, contact larrivee...but honestly, that looks like a nice fret job as far as i can tell.  i can post pics of mine if you want.

Yeah I'm thinking its a preference thing as well.  I'll probably take it in to a shop eventually and get the ends reshaped or dressed. 
I do think its kind of a weird choice of fret end profile though.  A slightly rounder radius on the bevel edge would likely be more comfy to more people.  This fret end profile makes kind of a not great first impression. If I had bought this one locally instead of mail order, I probably wouldn't have even given it a chance after running my hand down the neck. 

Coincidentally, it's the most in tune guitar I own.  All over the neck this thing sounds great.  Intonates really really well. And less fret buZz than any other guitar I own as well. Almost all notes ring clear with no buzz. It's nuts.

Quote from: 1esotericguy on April 14, 2013, 10:13:05 PM

Coincidentally, it's the most in tune guitar I own.  All over the neck this thing sounds great.  Intonates really really well. And less fret buZz than any other guitar I own as well. Almost all notes ring clear with no buzz. It's nuts.

Yeah, a well cut nut usually has something to do with that, but it's really about an excellent overall build and set-up.  :rolleye:

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 14, 2013, 11:14:08 PM
Yeah, a well cut nut usually has something to do with that, but it's really about an excellent overall build and set-up.  :rolleye:

I assume from the eye roll emoticon that my last post was misunderstood:

I meant that it's nuts that the guitar is so good sounding overall. Period. Like 'in the grand scheme of guitars, this guitar sounds amazing - it's nuts how good this guitar sounds!'

Just a separate comment unrelated to my opinion of the fret end profile.
So yes. I agree with you. It's a well produced product.  

Quote from: 1esotericguy on April 14, 2013, 11:39:35 PM

I assume from the eye roll emoticon that my last post was misunderstood:

I meant that it's nuts that the guitar is so good sounding overall. Period. Like 'in the grand scheme of guitars, this guitar sounds amazing - it's nuts how good this guitar sounds!'

Just a separate comment unrelated to my opinion of the fret end profile.
So yes. I agree with you. It's a well produced product.  

Sorry, the emoticon was because I was just being a little tongue in cheek. A well cut nut DOES have something to do with intonation ... you said it was nuts, I just went for the bait.

I agree, they're great guitars, I love mine!  :bowdown:

Mine is about the same. Did not even feel or notice it until your post.  Does not affect me. I did or still do have an axe where I noticed the nut on a slide but I am not sure which one that is as I have a bit of an assortment. I will have to pull the ladies out an see which one of the lasses is the offender.

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 15, 2013, 01:39:53 AM
Sorry, the emoticon was because I was just being a little tongue in cheek. A well cut nut DOES have something to do with intonation ... you said it was nuts, I just went for the bait.

I agree, they're great guitars, I love mine!  :bowdown:

Ahh - now I get it.  Missed it the first time.   :cheers

Quote from: unclrob on April 13, 2013, 06:37:11 PM
Sometime's the plastic binding shrinks a bit,not a big deal but if your not handy have a qualified tech file and rebuff the ends.Or when you go in for your setup in a couple weeks have the round the ends.This use to show up on the acoustics.If your tech doesn't know how to do it I'd be happy to tell the the way to do it.

Took your advice and dropped it off at the shop.  Fingers crossed.  I'm excited.  This will be my favorite guitar once the fret ends are less square. 

Problem solved. Here are the after pics:

That's how I like to finish fret ends. :thumb
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks