FINAL REPORT: NGD my first hollow body soon to have Larrivee pickups

Started by L07 Shooting Star, March 31, 2013, 01:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Tio Kimo on April 04, 2013, 10:59:13 AM
I'm a big semi fan, and this Peavey looks like a great guitar. Love the selector switch on the upper bout and the jack on the rim...both exceptions to the G-brand norm.

Based on my experience with Matts 'buckers in the RS-2, I'd imagine that the slight mellowed tone provided by the airy box would be a wonderful variation on the bite that these have. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

I play a Mangan Nickel set 10,14,20w,28,40,50
as you can see, despite the .010" e string, as a set it comes in a bit beefier than your standard 11's. I love the thick driven mids on my semi....you've got my wheels turning that a set of Matt's pups could be the next step. The beefy mid tone I love with just a tad more edge to it than I'm getting the Sheptones I currently play.....

Damn....and I've been fairly GAS free for a while now....... Thanks a lot L07SS   :tongue:
What semi-hollowbody do you have,  Tio?  I'll whet your appetite a bit more.  In this guitar, the neck pickup has that mellow jazzy tone unique to hollow bodies that I think you are imagining.  I don't know how much of that is due to the fact it's a semi acoustic,  but I will say these pickups sure reproduce that vibe in spades.  The middle position gives a very well balanced sound when played clean, almost like an acoustic guitar.  I'm not so good at describing these tones in words, and descriptions are subjective of course.  All I can say is there was an unmistakeable recognizeable vibe that hit me as soon as I started playing it that put a smile on my face.  At the very least, I think they brought out the full potential of this particular guitar.  I will also say that I thought the GFS pickups sounded real good until I put the Larrivees in.  The improvement is obvious, at least to me.  I've only played a handful of humbucker equipped guitars, though.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Great thread Kurt!!! Enjoyed
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on April 04, 2013, 09:22:11 PM
What semi-hollowbody do you have,  Tio? 

I had missed this. sorry for the delayed reply!

'02 Heritage H535

Your description sounds fantastic. And not at all suprising, given what I've been able to coax from my RS-2. I'd attributed that largely to the quality harness, as I've never found tone controls so effective as they are on that guitar. Perhaps it is indeed Matts p'ups.
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"

That's a real beauty, Tio.  Regarding the rest of the electronics, I took the easy route for now.  I presume the pots and switches in it are all your standard basic made in China stuff.  No doubt,  better electronics would bring it over the top.  Down the road, I might switch out the rest.

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I have previous as far as wiring 335's is concerned so here's my original post on the Bareknuckle pickups forum on how to do it simply.
https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10301.0
Larrivee Custom LCJ-10-12E 'Baby Dragon' and vine-of-life inlay
Larrivee Custom C-10E 'Ddraig Bach' ('Baby Dragon')
Gibson Les Paul Historic '59
Legra custom-made Les Paul Doubleneck
1967 Shaftesbury LP Black Beauty copy now with Bareknuckle humbuckers and 1959 spec wiring loom.

Quote from: Jonesy76 on April 13, 2013, 03:43:31 AM
I have previous as far as wiring 335's is concerned so here's my original post on the Bareknuckle pickups forum on how to do it simply.
https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10301.0

jonesy...MAD PROPS on that rewire job, and on the post, VERY well done. Still have that Washburn? I'm a fan of those as well...Owned a MIJ HB35 for many years, before selling it to finance the one pictured above.

When I did my rewire job, I was able to put the hardware through the bridge p'up route, but it appears you didn't have that option. Raises the stakes quite a bit, I think.

cheers!
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"