Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: any way to tell if your bakersfield has the larrivee made pups in it or not?  (Read 1225 times)
fritferret

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:54:09 PM »

i mean without taking off the pickguard.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 03:30:50 PM »

You can get in touch with Larrivee.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 03:35:58 PM »

No not that I know of.

Maybe if ML or Mike KITCHEN chimes in we will get a serial # approximation. If you do contact them maybe ask them for this reference approximation

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
fritferret

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »

No not that I know of.

Maybe if ML or Mike KITCHEN chimes in we will get a serial # approximation. If you do contact them maybe ask them for this reference approximation

thanks!
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 09:59:29 PM »

My personal opinion?

My Larrivee came with the Seymour Duncan pickups in it. When it went back for some warranty work (which was unnecessary in the end), I had Matthew put in a set of his pickups - mine has the mini-humbucker at the neck.

I don't have any recordings of each to do a real side-by-side test, but I think both sets of pickups sound very good...no, make that excellent! Matthew was no doubt going for some specific tones when he designed his own pups for the Bakersfield, but I can't tell any real difference just depending on my memory. The SD ones are also very good (or Matthew would never have used them!). I have the SD bridge in another guitar, and it sounds fantastic. I put the mini-humbucker in my son's Warmoth Tele that I built for him, and he really likes it.

A couple gratuitous pics - my Bakersfield and my son's Tele...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 11:23:08 PM »

At first I couldn't figure out why the plastic bag was taped to the Tele top, then I realized you must have been doing some fret work.

On the close up of the Bakersfield top what are those marks under the finish?

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
TomK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 12:48:17 AM »

I thought all of the Bakersfields had Duncan-made pickups in both the neck and bridge positions. Did something change?
Matthew Larrivee
Admin

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 03:23:17 AM »

i mean without taking off the pickguard.

Yes there is. I do a technique called "Jeweling" to the magnets on the bridge pickup. It gives a very distinctive circular swirl to the magnets on the bridge pup. If you post a picture I can confirm
TomK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 02:14:05 PM »

The poles on mine look like a file went straight across them, so I'd guess Duncan (I don't have a pic handy to post).  Thanks.

Was there an approximate changeover date on the pups?
Matthew Larrivee
Admin

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 03:35:11 PM »

Maybe a year ago? A specific date eludes me but I think it was about a year ago. We are working on the tele neck pickup still but that should be done any day
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 09:47:18 PM »

At first I couldn't figure out why the plastic bag was taped to the Tele top, then I realized you must have been doing some fret work.

On the close up of the Bakersfield top what are those marks under the finish?

Yes, we ordered an all maple Warmoth neck for it while we were making other mods; he wanted to try something different (and slightly different neck profile, too). So I was removing the finish from the frets. I've attached pics from before so you can see the many changes (pickups, pickguard, neck). That's my lefty Warmoth Strat in the same color (Blue Ice Metallic), and that's my son, Nate, trying it out for the first time when I built it for him at high school graduation.

The marks on the Bakersfield are just some of Mother Nature's beautiful birthmarks!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: