Lyric Review

Started by unclrob, March 12, 2013, 12:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been following along with this thread because I put a Lyric in my OM-03 MT. I run it through my Loudbox Mini without anything in between and, I've never been sure of the sound since I bought it in March. The only way I can get it working right is if I lay off on the volume wheel; maybe 1/8 of the way up. Otherwise, it feedsback like crazy regardless whether it's in phase or out.

That leads me to believe the pickup runs really hot to the amp. I was looking for a PARA DI but a Session just came up for sale on kijiji in the area for a great price. I can use that to fix things with the hot signal then address EQ issues afterwards.

I do sort of like the sound; it sounds like my guitar, only, much louder. Except, it has a lower mid "honk" that needs to be toned down. Yes, the Session won't do that, but it will help me add some compression without completely squashing my sound.

Bottom line on the Lyric, it may sound great with no preamp depending on the guitar. Others, like my Hog OM, needs a little help. Regardless, it sounds much better than any UST I've tried. Worth the price? Not sure, I probably would have been better off with a K&K and saved the money.

Thanks for adding to the info.I also talked to the people at K+K a few weeks ago about there archtop pu which was not what my client wanted any way we got on to the subject of there acoustic flattop pu and like the Bagg's they for some reason build there pu on the hot side and also like Baggs the mids are boosted.I ask why and answer was vague.I like them both but wish they would just make them a flat responce to which I got no responce for a couple of seconds then was told they've heard this complaint.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thank unclrob, that actually is very helpful.

I had my OM in at Folkway Music and inquired about my Lyric. They felt the Lyric worked better in smaller bodied guitars while the K&K worked better with larger one's. I thought of selling the Lyric in favour of the K&K but, after reading your post, I really do believe that all pickups need some EQ of some sort. I think I'll look for a Para DI as a lost of people who had the same issues as I/we do seem to be happy after going with that DI.

I installed a Lyric, on the bridge plate of the 1971 Larrivee, as the other system I had wasn't cutting it.

Although I did find some rather annoying frequencies, I inserted a high quality EQ unit with sweepable mids, and it sounded a great deal better.
The Ricky Skaggs review on the pick-up is pretty convincing, but yes I ahve always maintained, (since the very first "Barcus Berry" units hit the market), that
starting with the premise of amplifying an acoustic instrument for INSIDE the guitar was just dumb.

Regardless, in the past few decades, millions of dollars have been spent on just that.
I personally have spent tons of money buying & experimenting with the very same dumb concept, still do..

definition of "insanity"?
Keep doing the same thing, but expecting different results  :crying: :mad: :arrow :wacko: :cop:
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on November 29, 2015, 09:59:17 AMI personally have spent tons of money buying & experimenting with the very same dumb concept, still do..

definition of "insanity"?

Keep doing the same thing, but expecting different results  :crying: :mad: :arrow :wacko: :cop:

Aye.

It's obscenely frustrating (and career-dangerous?) to spend hours of time on the telephone line working with an instrument acoustically, only to discover that the brilliant timbral balance you thought you had achieved is utterly undone by the dimensions of a performance space, under the influence of a few obscure physics equations via the ever-changing mass of beer imbibing patrons, failed crossovers, and humidity . . .

Kevin what EQ did you use?I tried many mid price one's with no luck.I also haven't found a db cut pedal that would allow me to go below 15db I fairly sure that if I could find an adjustable unit.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: skyline on November 29, 2015, 08:26:58 PM
Aye.

It's obscenely frustrating (and career-dangerous?) to spend hours of time on the telephone line working with an instrument acoustically, only to discover that the brilliant timbral balance you thought you had achieved is utterly undone by the dimensions of a performance space, under the influence of a few obscure physics equations via the ever-changing mass of beer imbibing patrons, failed crossovers, and humidity . . .

Yes.

95% of said patrons don't really care how realistically acoustical the guitar sounds and couldn't care less if it sounds truly like the unplugged guitar.  They have no idea how it should sound in the first place.  They just want to hear some music and some good tunes.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I disagree with the above sentiment, well certainly in the venues I play, it's not true.
I am fortunate to play nice places with smart people who have good ears.
Alawys lots of comments on how great m guitar sound is, what kind is it, what kind of gear etc.

plus, I just don't play to drunks any more.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I need as close to the true sound of the guitar for me to enjoy what I do whether the crowd cares or not.

Kevin still need to know what EQ unit you used.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: headsup on December 02, 2015, 09:13:08 AM
I disagree with the above sentiment, well certainly in the venues I play, it's not true.
I am fortunate to play nice places with smart people who have good ears.
Alawys lots of comments on how great m guitar sound is, what kind is it, what kind of gear etc.

plus, I just don't play to drunks any more.

Can't argue with that.  The setting/situation makes a difference, for sure.  Most of my gigs (which, in numbers, are probably miniscule compared to yours and Robs) have been with rock/country cover bands in small-town bars or local dances.

Im dealing with a lot of the same issues you have had it seems unclrob. I installed a lyric in my OM-05 MT back in November and just can't seem to get ride of the handling noise and string squeak while playing. I play in a church setting over a good sized PA and the string squeak is just a distraction.

The question I have is does the anthem (SL or standard) seem to tone down the string squeak and handling noise?

I would consider switching over to one of these if it does.

Thanks,

Dan

PS i have not gone to great lengths to eliminate this issue, but it seems after reading that it can't be eliminated or even handled without a great deal of heartache.
Dan

Dan all my issue's have gone away with the Anthem SL.It has an under the saddle pu for the low end this allow's  me more control over the tone.I do run the guitar thru the PARA pre amp then to the board.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

thanks for the prompt reply. I run everything through a para DI. I'm going to look into getting an anthem. Thanks
Dan

Well, I tried a Session DI and it didn't help; tons of feedback and little control over the tone. So I picked up the PARA DI and used them together. It got a little closer to what i wanted but not nearly enough. I was about to call it quits with the Lyric till I found a deal on a Voicelive Acoustic by TC Helicon; I decided I wanted to sing and I wanted a little harmony. Well, didn't the VoiceLive clear everything right up. The unit has a notch filter and EQ along with BodyRez and, with very little knob turning, I get a nice sound that is literally "my guitar but louder".

I think the problem with the Lyric may well be that the signal is a bit hot coming out of the pickup and it needs to be cut, with the VoiceLive unit seems to be able to do easily.

OK its been 3 years since I've messed with the Lyric I bought back then.I tried the pu in an OM an LS and a jumbo and was never happy with.So today for giggle's and grins I installed it in my Guild dread and guess what it works fine.Yes kids it works as advertized,scary yes but the proof is in the dread.Yes I still need to watch the amount of gain but there are no longer those nasty mid kaos freq. and it sounds almost like the guitar.Well thats the lastest report for now.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I spent my bonus money from a month and a half worth of success at work on a new guitar setup. I'm switching to be primarily an acoustic player over electric. So I snagged a really nice Larrivee OM-02, had an LR Baggs Lyric installed, and stumbled across an LR Baggs Para Di in a pawn shop. Perfect, looks like I'm set. Plus I already have a Marshall AS50D acoustic amp, a Behringer acoustic amp someone left at my house, guitar amps, bass amp, recording rigs.... whatever I may need to find the right sound.

Then I read a bunch of Lyric reviews that aren't complimentary. A lot of them saying it needs eq tweaking, overly sensitive, distorted, feedbacky, etc.

Oh no! did I snag the wrong pickup for this guitar?

On day one of having it all home I spend a lot of time down in my studio dialing in all sorts of settings with the Marshall and Para di in the chain. I was mostly happy, I got good sounds, but not anything that really nailed it. I could hear everything, but there was always too much high, low, mid, or not enough this or that. I was gonna need more tweaking. I was a little afraid that I may have to find a sound that I would just have to settle with.

A few days later I go back down to my studio and take another approach. I plug directly into the most transparent and simple method of amplification I have so I can hear just the way the Lyric impacts the sound. My Behringer kick back bass amp. As a bass amp shaped like a wedge monitor, this thing sucks as a bass amp. It's lifeless. All it does is amplify sound, there's nothing special about it. I've used it for a monitor more often than as a bass amp. So it's the perfect amp for this test. I set the volume on the lyric at about 50%, set the presence control at 50%. Set all the eq knobs on the bass amp at 50%, plugged in... and....

This is the sound. This is it. Stupid simple, you gotta be kidding me. There was so much natural guitar sound coming out of that bass amp.
Feedback? Only if I got too close to the amp.
clipping? Nope.
Super clean, balanced, big sounding. Exactly what I was looking for.

So I plugged it directly into the Marshall acoustic amp, dialed all the eq knobs to 50%, pushed the anti feedback buttons to what sounded best (all out, I think), rolled the reverb up to about 15% (sorry, hippie tendencies assert themselves sometimes), and it was even better. Holy cow.

I can't say enough just how amazing this guitar sounds. It sounds like my guitar, only louder. Exactly what I was looking for.

Ceragan42, that is a very insightful analysis.  The KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle applies here in spades.

Quote from: Ceragan42 on February 13, 2017, 03:48:22 PM
I spent my bonus money from a month and a half worth of success at work on a new guitar setup. I'm switching to be primarily an acoustic player over electric. So I snagged a really nice Larrivee OM-02, had an LR Baggs Lyric installed, and stumbled across an LR Baggs Para Di in a pawn shop. Perfect, looks like I'm set. Plus I already have a Marshall AS50D acoustic amp, a Behringer acoustic amp someone left at my house, guitar amps, bass amp, recording rigs.... whatever I may need to find the right sound.

Then I read a bunch of Lyric reviews that aren't complimentary. A lot of them saying it needs eq tweaking, overly sensitive, distorted, feedbacky, etc.

Oh no! did I snag the wrong pickup for this guitar?

On day one of having it all home I spend a lot of time down in my studio dialing in all sorts of settings with the Marshall and Para di in the chain. I was mostly happy, I got good sounds, but not anything that really nailed it. I could hear everything, but there was always too much high, low, mid, or not enough this or that. I was gonna need more tweaking. I was a little afraid that I may have to find a sound that I would just have to settle with.

A few days later I go back down to my studio and take another approach. I plug directly into the most transparent and simple method of amplification I have so I can hear just the way the Lyric impacts the sound. My Behringer kick back bass amp. As a bass amp shaped like a wedge monitor, this thing sucks as a bass amp. It's lifeless. All it does is amplify sound, there's nothing special about it. I've used it for a monitor more often than as a bass amp. So it's the perfect amp for this test. I set the volume on the lyric at about 50%, set the presence control at 50%. Set all the eq knobs on the bass amp at 50%, plugged in... and....

This is the sound. This is it. Stupid simple, you gotta be kidding me. There was so much natural guitar sound coming out of that bass amp.
Feedback? Only if I got too close to the amp.
clipping? Nope.
Super clean, balanced, big sounding. Exactly what I was looking for.

So I plugged it directly into the Marshall acoustic amp, dialed all the eq knobs to 50%, pushed the anti feedback buttons to what sounded best (all out, I think), rolled the reverb up to about 15% (sorry, hippie tendencies assert themselves sometimes), and it was even better. Holy cow.

I can't say enough just how amazing this guitar sounds. It sounds like my guitar, only louder. Exactly what I was looking for.

Apparently you need to amplify a guitar.

Is it because you are playing to a big room?