Lyric Review

Started by unclrob, March 12, 2013, 12:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob,

I found a couple of Radial DI boxes that have 15 dB pads, but 20 and 40 are way more common.  I didn't find any with just a 10 dB pad.  Here's a comparison of two different Radials and something called an ATTY which has a variable attenuation on it.

Comparison at Sweetwaterhttp://www.sweetwater.com/store/compare.php?items=%28ProDI|Pro48|ATTY%29
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Was checking them out myself.I plan on putting in a call to them Tuesday.For giggle's and insanity I'm thinking of seeing if maybe,if at all possible to make a 10db pad.I'm pretty good with a soldering pen as long as I'm wearing my super dupper magnifier glass's. :roll
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

You mean like this?  

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Close but more like stacking two pair of 250 mag. on the nose. :roll
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Well had a nice rehearsal tonight,well mostley it was to check out a new Shure condenser mic that has had great review's.I can't remember the modal number but its a hand held vocal maybe it was an SM86 or 84,anyway for $300 I wasn't impressed I have use less expensive mic that sounded much much better.Any tonight I ran the Lyric thru the PA for the first time with the DI with the att. set at 20db.I had to run it thru the PARA to bring it up to usable volumn and we figured that whats really going on is that there are freq that need to be calmed down more then the mic being to hot.Still had to keep the presence control back completely off,the mids at about 10 o'clock.Gain was up almost all the way and the volumn on about 1 o'clock.The good news is that we got a beautiful almost natural acoustic guitar tone {about 95%} which has been the goal.Now I'm almost happy with it.I really think I need to find a 10db to 15db cut unit that I may end up building myself.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Well I hate to say this but until I can find,afford or build an variable attenuator I'm throwing in the towel after close to 30 hours.Since I wish to use the guitar at gig's I play on installing a passive Ibeam.I will at some point purchase an Anthem SL for this guitar.

Now my disclaimer:Just because I have had problems with the Lyric doesn't mean that others have had issue's and many seem to have no issue's and find the stock unit perfect for there needs and works fine with there rig's or system's.This is my no means a downing of Bagg's product I have found them to be really great people to deal with and have gone above and beyond in helping me and I'm very happy with all there other products and they are the first pu's I recommend when asked what pu should they use in there acoustic guitars.

Thanks and I hope everyone enjoys reading the adventure. :wave
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Rob - something to try - if you have access to any old volume pedal and any reasonably modern buffered effects pedal (e.g. BOSS) you can use the two of them together with the pedal in bypass mode to give you essentially a buffered volume pedal aka variable attenuator.  Lyric -> pedal -> volume -> board/amp.
Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active

Gord,tried it,the buffering from the pedals doesn't effect the freq kaos that I found to be happening.But don't give up since I haven't givin up yet either,still working on it but its now installed in another guitar so that I can put my OM03PA into gigging use.Its now installed in my 72 Guild D25.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Just noticed that this thread had over 1300 views.I ended it at a bit over 750 view's.Anyone have anything to ad,state,scream at me about,anything to add????
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

ok, I'll bite. Since I installed the Lyric in my OM, it smells up the case with plasticy smell. Now that its in the case more with the planet waves humidifier, it  smells not so nice when taken out of the case. Still sounds great thou .
Life is too short to play crappy guitars....

Larrivee OM-40 RW w. LR Baggs Lyric
Larrivee LV-02
Roland AC-60

Never had a smell issue with the mic/endpin pre-amp.I have just tried backing the gain way down as well as keeping the volumn on the PARA though helps a little bit.Still not there yet but when I can afford an eq pedal maybe I can pull more of the mids kaos out.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: longlaketech on October 28, 2013, 04:04:45 PM
ok, I'll bite. Since I installed the Lyric in my OM, it smells up the case with plasticy smell. Now that its in the case more with the PLANET WAVES HUMIDIFIER,,,,

Hint, flag, clue, possibility, maybe?
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on October 29, 2013, 06:28:14 PM
Hint, flag, clue, possibility, maybe?

Good catch. Heating season hit about the same time as I installed my Lyric. Maybe time to replace the sponge! The Lyric still sounds great o my ears anyway.
Life is too short to play crappy guitars....

Larrivee OM-40 RW w. LR Baggs Lyric
Larrivee LV-02
Roland AC-60

Well I had a chance to play the latest version of the Lyric and ALL the CR*P problems seem to be gone.The pin control that mine had was a presence's control now I was told by the client that its a treble cut and boost.What ever it is it solve the issue's and sounded great.The mic is still a bit on the hot side but very very usable. :wave
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

:+1:    thanks for the update.. I appreciate your opinions and have kept the lyric at arms length.  Can you compare the lyric to a fishman rare earth blend?.....  Bobw

The rare earth has a humbucker style soundhole pu with the mic which is blendable but I have found that soundhole pu's sounded a bit to much like a standard magnetic pu.The Lyric is a mic that is attached to the top and is fairy close to having a mic out front of you.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Interesting posts, Unclrob. I am wondering: have you ever compared the Lyric to the Anthem? They claim the undersaddle transducer adds solidity and punch for the low frequencies, as it records everything below 250 Hz. I've got an Anthem SL myself I find it sounding increadibly well. Never had the chance to compare it to a Lyric though.
Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition
Koch Jupiter 45-C

When I played the Lyric I also pulled out my Anthem SL OM03PA and I have to admit I prefer the Anthem as the bass responce is smoother.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Good to know, thanks!
Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition
Koch Jupiter 45-C

Just don't want to loose this to page 2 since over 5000 have read it.I hope it helps.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks