Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lyric Review  (Read 16120 times)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 06:18:43 PM »

That's what I found that's why I'm thinking an off board pad that won't mess with the tone but still give you control over the volumn,if that make's any sence.I have not had these issue's with my AnthemSL in my Guild.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »

That's what I found that's why I'm thinking an off board pad that won't mess with the tone but still give you control over the volumn,if that make's any sence.I have not had these issue's with my AnthemSL in my Guild.

Makes perfect sense.  But that's essentially the problem.  You can pad a signal either passively or actively.  Passively will usually affect tone a bit (very little if done right).  An active pad/buffer, while it will preserve tone if done right, is probably not much different than what is in the Para pre-amp, so it's going to be subject to the same clipping problems.  I think the main issue is the fact that we're dealing with 9V power which limits the headroom of the device.  Normally 9V would provide plenty of headroom, but mics can be really hot sometimes.  I don't know this for sure but I would guess that even if you are running the Para off the 48V phantom power, it probably regulates the power down to 9V.  But it could be 12V or 18V or something a little higher so maybe trying phantom power is worth a shot if you haven't yet.  An 18V device will double the headroom (assuming it actually runs internally at 18V).  If you've got a little mixer that runs off AC, I would try and see if that works before spending any money on something.  But even that might not help since the internal bias voltage to the ICs or transistors is what matters and that could easily be no different than a 9v device - it just depends on the design of the unit.

You could also try a good compressor - one that has an input level control - and keep the compression to a minimum.

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 01:37:05 AM »

It experiment is either done on my old Mackie 1642 VLZ Pro or thru my test amp which is a Fender Champ 12.I have tried a compressor but not what I after.There's got to be a way to line level the system down so that any volumn is done at the board.I feel sure if I could cut the out put by 20-30% I could get a good usable signal.I no longer get that resonator effect since moving the mic but I get tone's more contact noise that only disappears when I cut the gain at the board and at the PARA but I end up with almost no signal when  do that,I just want lower the hotness of the system.Keep your brain working and I'll keep mine worker and maybe someone else will chime in. wacko

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »

You could always try the passive route - just run it through a 10K volume pot.

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »

I'm not sure if any signal can come out without the 9v push.Even when I use it straight without the PARA in the mix its still to hot and I can't pull out enough mids with just the board.Still plan on getting an eq pedal to see if that helps.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »

I'm not sure if any signal can come out without the 9v push.Even when I use it straight without the PARA in the mix its still to hot and I can't pull out enough mids with just the board.Still plan on getting an eq pedal to see if that helps.

I meant add the volume pot after the lyric pre-amp.  It's essentially a passive pad.  Passive has the advantage that it can't clip.  But I'm not sure that the built-in volume control isn't just set up the same way.  Are you just running the mic powered by 9V without the electronics straight into the para or board?

Gord

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 04:23:40 PM »

I meant add the volume pot after the lyric pre-amp.  It's essentially a passive pad.  Passive has the advantage that it can't clip.  But I'm not sure that the built-in volume control isn't just set up the same way.  Are you just running the mic powered by 9V without the electronics straight into the para or board?

I hadn't thought of opening the pre-amp jack up to see if theres is some sort of control there,Yep on the 9V only.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 04:48:33 PM »

Rob - after re-reading some of your earlier posts I think I may be on the wrong track.  Is clipping/distortion your problem (that's what I think of when I hear "too hot")?  Or is it just that the pickup sounds overly sensitive and midrangey?  I had been thinking it was clipping, but now I think not.  EQ pedal could help, but the Para should be able to do that.  You could also try backing off the presence control on the Lyric.

Gord

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »

Pickup is overly sensitive and midrangy.I have backed off on the presence control.Like I said there has to be way to dummy down the sensitivity.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »

What about something whacky - like a piece of foam or felt in the cavity between the mic element and the soundboard?  Acoustic damping instead of electronic.

Gord

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 11:55:45 PM »

What about something whacky - like a piece of foam or felt in the cavity between the mic element and the soundboard?  Acoustic damping instead of electronic.

Already did that the mic casing had lots of open space so I foamed that area and lost all that airy sound.The mic head face's the guitar top and I think I might just try covering it.I'll give it a try in the morning and post the results.Thanks for the idea.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2013, 05:18:26 PM »

Well I have installed the paddy double sided tape over the mic and put a denser piece of foam on it.Running thru the PARA I got a fairly usable signal  but I'm sure that pre-amping a pre-amped signal is causing some distortion but I need really think I need the eq'ing for a beter tone control as the neither the test amp nor the board give's enough control.So now I've got to find a nice parametric eq pedal that I can afford as I don't think a graphic will do the job.Any suggestion for an affordable parametric eq???

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »

Well I have installed the paddy double sided tape over the mic and put a denser piece of foam on it.Running thru the PARA I got a fairly usable signal  but I'm sure that pre-amping a pre-amped signal is causing some distortion but I need really think I need the eq'ing for a beter tone control as the neither the test amp nor the board give's enough control.So now I've got to find a nice parametric eq pedal that I can afford as I don't think a graphic will do the job.Any suggestion for an affordable parametric eq???

Rob - have you tried talking to Baggs about this?  If one has to go to those lengths to get a usable signal out of it, then in my opinion it's either really poorly designed or there is something wrong with the one you have.  At what point in time do you just give up and say"this is a piece of junk?"  I applaud your tenacity - I would have thrown in the towel long ago.

Gord

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »

I am a dealer and when I first got it I told my rep about the issue.I'm sure well maybe not real sure that the guy's at Baggs have red this.When I talked to then I was told that a country player in a large band {don't remember his name} use's one thru a Venue with no issue's,the guitarist for Lyle Lovett's band use one again thru a Venue also with no problem.I was told about another guy who bought one while the owner of Baggs was there and had to install a feedback buster of some sort due to monitors being to hot and causing feedback.I sent the first one back because I thought there was a problem and had it replaced.I'm not sure its my place to tell a company how to build its product since they don't seem to have a problem.My job is to take care of my clients that want the system and don't have the money to buy a Venue or get to run there instrument thru a $60-70K digital mixer.Hell I don't know if anyone else is having issue with them that I am.This is the only forum I'm on.I have Little Brothers review which wasn't glowing and nobody but you and I have been posting here.There is a forum member here that doesn't seem to like his.As for why I'm doing this,mostly because for years I have been trying to find a system that sounds like my guitar when I'm sitting in my living room playing.Since it is so really really hard to get people to play thru mic's and since so many want that sound I feel I need to do this,I guess its who I am.I have found a direct box with a cut on it for hot output instruments and I plan on barrowing it from my friend to see if it helps.There are 10 of my clients who really want this to work,so I have no choice.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2013, 02:19:31 AM »

Well tried it thru an Ultrasound DI Plus which is a preamp/DI box which I was told might work.Well "Nope",it has a knob which you can adjust the input gain which I set as low as possible and it has line level out.It has other features that I thought would help with the mids being so hot also with no luck.The unit overall isn't a bad thing just not good for what I need.I'm hoping to get a DI from a friend that has a pad switch and is used to calm hot keyboard signals.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 07:08:46 PM »

Well tried it thru an Ultrasound DI Plus which is a preamp/DI box which I was told might work.Well "Nope",it has a knob which you can adjust the input gain which I set as low as possible and it has line level out.It has other features that I thought would help with the mids being so hot also with no luck.The unit overall isn't a bad thing just not good for what I need.I'm hoping to get a DI from a friend that has a pad switch and is used to calm hot keyboard signals.

I was reading through to see if you had tried this yet.

These can be had relatively cheaply.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 07:14:31 PM »

Scott are you talking about the DI with the cut?

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 04:55:17 AM »

Scott are you talking about the DI with the cut?

Yes,

We keep a load of Behringer powered DI boxes at church and they have a 2 stage PAD on them.  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DI100/  If Behringer is good enough for Sweetwater, it's good enough for me. 

I have had to press these into service for mainly too hot keyboard signals, and I'm also surprised that you are getting so much gain out of the Lyric, but hey - if you know someone with  DI box that has a switchable PAD, it can't hurt trying it.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »

Scott being that the mic is in the guitar it picks everything up all those trapped freq.,plus the mic was way to exposed to air movement {I did solve that problem}.I 've borrowed a Rolls Matchbox DB25 with a 20db and 40db cut.My duo partner use's it the same way you do for hot keyboards.I'm testing it later today after I do some work on my clients stuff.Wish me luck.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2013, 04:35:23 PM »

the ability to reduce the singnal was the solution to all the woe's.The nasty midrange is gone and the signal cut at 20db is a bit more then needed but now I have a very natural sounding guitar.There are still some kinks to work out and I'm pretty sure all I really need is a 10db cut so now the hunt is on for a DI with a 10db cut is on.I'm not playing out until next Friday so the true test is to come.Watch this station for futher review.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: