Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lyric Review  (Read 16185 times)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2013, 05:08:04 PM »

OK some gigs popped up and I've had a chance to use it live.First though I would like to post the what was said at my shoot out with a bunch of other pu's, and mic's.Each pu was judged on how natural it sounded in the guitar it was installed in due to the fact the the day would of been spent just reinstalling pu's.We used a PA for amplification since that's what everyone performs with.We were also outdoors on a covered porch ed.The PA was my Mackie 1642VLZ-pro run thru a Technical Pro powered cab with a horn and a 12" set about 6' up.The channels were all set flat and each guitar was run both straight into the board and thru a PARA Acoustic D.I..

Anthem SL in a Guild JF30;everyone had the same basic thought,sounded close to the guitar.Kinda electronic but just a little bit.Sounded best run thru a PARA then direct into the PA eq set was treb and mids flat and a tad bit of bass.

K+K Mini in Martin OM21;Run thru the Pa direct all felt it was way to hot and unbalance.Plugged into the PARA smooth everything out and the treb and mids were flat and bass was rolled off.The overall thoughts were that it sounded a tad electronic but again pretty close.

Active Ibeam in a Taylor Grand Concert;Again everyone was happy enough with the sound but it didn't sound good thru the PA,once we added the PARA things got crazy as everyone had a different idea for eq'ing and I won't get into all the different settings as everyone like something different which ended up ending with no one leaning towards a natural tone but tone's that they were happy with

GHS A137 internal single source mic Larrivee OM03PA;Overall the agreed downside was to airey sounding when played direct and run thru the PARA and a feedback buster was added which improved the tone when played direct and thru the pre.Still it had what was described as less airey.With the PARA set at treb about a third back from flat and the mids set two thirds back,bass at just a tad backed off also we turn the presence control all the off it became pretty usable and we all thought that only players would notice the slight airiness but most people would be to busy talking and having for notice.

Lyric in a Larrivee LS10;Here's the Rub everything that went on with the GHS A137 happened with it.I had started out with the Lyric mounted frontside of the bridgeplate which didn't sound good,moved it too the backside of the bridgeplate which was better but not much for the shootout I placed the Lyric between the soundhole and the bridge to the top of the guitar just north of the low "E".Much better responce that in my opinion was due to being placed in a less stiff area.Direct into the PA it really didn't sound very good overly mid rangy.When run thru the PARA we ended up using the same settings as were used on the GHS and had same overall results and opinions as it.

Overall it was agreed that the Lyric is a little too hot and may be better used with an eq of some sort for more overall control and when I get a chance I get a my hands on one I'll update this review.I hope this will help anyone out there who's thinking of getting a Lyric.Myself the rest of March is dead for playing gig's but I do have 5 soundtech gig's   .So more after the month of April and a few gig's playing up against the Anthem SL which is in my Guild JF30 that my duo partner has taken control of.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 02:49:40 AM »

The feedback buster was used and was suggested by Bagg's.There really was no noticable difference with the responce of the Lyric.The GHS A137 needed the Feedback Buster as it picked up the breeze we had that night.The Lyric is also a more focused mic as the mic face's the top were the A137 is suspended inside the body and the sweet spot is more towards the soundhole.I have since begun to experiment a little by adding some foam between the mic and the top which has lighten the hollow sound a bit.

I think I should explain the hollow sound,I just can't figure out any othe way too discribe it or what is causing it.It sounds like a high gain noise or a floor noise.I was told that it was designed to just plug direct into a PA nut two of the more well now players that are using it use the Venue pedal.Most of my clients don't own high end PA's that offer the option of a gain/trim control and PA's that don't offer them just don't have enough preamp wattage.

Overall and 3 gigs later I'm still on the fence about it.This weekend I'll be be playing it thru an Acoustic acoustic guitar amp again which is the amp we tested it thru.One other thing I have yet to have any feedback isuue with the Lyric when the monitor is run hot and I'm close to it.The people I'll be playing with have a habit of playing really loud and I'll be sitting pretty close to it.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 04:14:29 AM »

+1   Thanks Unclrob for taking the time to share this review... good info... 
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »

We used the direct box out of the PARA.I will check out using it with just a direct box and let you know the results.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 05:02:39 PM »

OK that sound finally got to me after playing last night so I'm trying something different.I took the unit apart and covered all the opennings other then the mic that face's the top and so far so good at home.I'll let you know how it does at a gig.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 04:10:44 AM »

Well I sat in with a friend for a couple of sets and no more hollowness.The mic is still a little to hot but plugged into the board without a preamp and it sounded really good.If there are any owners who would like to have more details of what I did please contact me either thru email.pm or give me a call and I'll talk or type you thru it.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 02:14:12 PM »

Well I sat in with a friend for a couple of sets and no more hollowness.The mic is still a little to hot but plugged into the board without a preamp and it sounded really good.If there are any owners who would like to have more details of what I did please contact me either thru email.pm or give me a call and I'll talk or type you thru it.
there's your chance to make a millions, Rob!  Will you Mod my Lyric?  You can beta test me, and overcharge everyone else! :)

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »

Dave PM sent.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 02:18:43 AM »

Well ext Wed. the first time I'll be playing the Lyric at our regular gig.Its been installed in my OM03PA like I said and we see how it preforms.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Tio Kimo

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »

Following this thread with great interest. Thanks UnclRob for taking the time to post about the various mods to the install.

I've got this dread that needs a pickup, and I'm basically using this thread as the "decider" on what avenue to take.

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 04:19:50 PM »

Glad to help anyway I can.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 10:09:39 PM »

Thanks Rob.  Can you comment on the bass response a bit more when you get a chance?  I'm particularly interested in how it compares with the Anthem SL since that's what I have.  With the SL I find that the balance is very good (once properly adjusted) but there is just a hint of the stereotypical undersaddle type sound in the lower registers.  My only reason for getting a Lyric would be to have a more open and natural sounding low end without compromising either the bass extension or the overall neutrality and quality of the mids and high end.

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 07:41:22 PM »

Sounds to me like the PARA was/is the most important link in the chain.
More so than the pick ups.....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 03:53:37 PM »

The Venue has a better swip in its eq's.Just can't afford one,YET.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 03:59:02 AM »

Well tonight was the night and..well......I played two tune's solo and it sounded not bad.When played with my partner in musical crime  it just didn't cut it for me.I plan on barrowing an eq peddle for the next gig in two weeks to see if I can clean it up.One problem I did have is the volumn control wasn't secure enough but I'll take the blame for that though it doesn't fit real well in the first place.Now I'm not downing the system but it does need work its too hot,has way too much mids and in my book a redesign of the mic casing it allow's way to much extra info in which for some it sounds resonatorish or overly airy.The rigging I did took care of a lot of those problems but I figure I'm going to have to do more.Others may feel differently and I'm fairly sure that I have pi**ed off someone with my review's and rigging but I have my clients too take care of.For most people the Anthem SL would be the way to go and for GGBB try backing off on the bass and the mids a little to take care of that stereotypical UTS sound,maybe take more of the UTS out at the control mounted on the control.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »

Seems like a lot of trouble to get a pickup to sound "right."

Haven't bothered with mine lately. I'm playing my other K&K equipped guitars. ;)

Played show a couple weeks ago - fundraiser for a local acoustic concert series. Professional sound man said my K&K equipped Collings OM sounded amazing. Had an Boss EQ pedal in the chain but never bothered to turn it on.

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 04:58:07 PM »

Thanks Rob.  Excellent feedback.  Do you think that the non-standard placement could be the cause of the tonal problems?

As for my Anthem SL, I do back off the undersaddle level a bit as you recommend.  Overall it is really good and balanced, and in my C-09 it was a breeze to install and position the mic part.  It was no struggle at all to get a good sound out of it.

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »

No mic placement isn't an issue since its dsigned to pickup the top.I just found that placing it in another spot seemed to help.The bridgeplate is suggested but after talking to the people at Baggs it could be place other place's {that's a lot of use of the place }.I think placing it off the bridgeplate allow for a bit better tone.I'm sure that the problems are IMO the fact that the mic is rather hot and that the preamp eq if there is preamp eq is way to mid rangy.I will at this time suggest that my clients go with the Anthem SL which IMO is a better system at this time.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »

Not one to give up I once again moved the mic.This time I've placed it at at the high E side of the soundhole with much better results.What I think I need to get and I'm not sure if I'm using the right term,never been good at technical stuff or gagets but I think what is needed is something that will allow me to pad down the signal.Using the PARA I'm able to control the eq'ing {still considering an EQ pedal} but even with the gain turned all the way down and the guitars volumn half way up and the volumn on the PARA set at 9 o'clock the signal is still to hot and is picking every thing up.So if there is someone who can help me with someway to pad down the pu I'd would love it.Again I'm not willing to give up on this system it just needs to be more user friendly for us folks that don't have the ability to run our stuff thru digital boards with lots of processing or a Venue pre-amp.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 06:00:53 PM »

Rob - essentially the volume control is a pad/attenuator - can't you just turn that down more?  Still seems really odd that it's that hot.  I have to say though that I found my Anthem SL similar going into my Venue - I had to back of the gain quite a bit to avoid clipping with full on strumming.  But doing that made the background noise quite obvious.

Gord

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: