Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: well im doing it. bigsby on an rs 2.  (Read 2913 times)
SamDBL

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »

I've been toying with the idea of putting a b5 on my yellow rs2 for a couple years. Finally pulled the trigger and ordered one today. I'm not even gonna bother with a vibramate. I don't think it'd do any good with a wraparound bridge anyway. Holes will be drilled! Anyway it seems like an obvious idea. I can't find any pics of others though. Anyone else done this?
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:05:47 PM »

I bought a lefty Vibramate to convert mine before Christmas, but they were out of lefty B-5 Bigsby's at the time...now I'm out of cash! So I will be putting a B-5 on my RS-2 as soon as I have the $$ to do so.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 01:37:27 AM »

you'll never regret it!!!

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
SamDBL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 02:39:02 AM »

Cools, headsup!

I hear ya, mikey. What's kept my idea at bay for so long is how crazy expensive those B5's are. I considered a B50 for a bit. But I just couldn't muck up an awesome RS2 with a big "LICENSED" designation on the front.      But I did start noticing some regular B5's pop up for around $100 recently. One is from WD and seems to be out of stock everywhere. But Amplified Parts has some for $103 shipped. The stock seems to be dwindling rapidly, so I pulled the trigger today.

Second question: I'll be getting a roller bridge, too. Probably Mighty Mite. Maybe Schaller if I win the lottery between now and the time of install. Anyway, I notice the Schaller ones have a couple of different string spacings available. What should I be looking for as far as that goes? I'm dumb when it comes to that stuff.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 02:55:15 AM »

Bigsby B5 is currently in stock at Stewmac for $141.00 according to their web site.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos/Bigsby_Vibrato_Tailpieces/Bigsby_B5_Vibrato.html

The licensed import B5 is currently 5 to 7 days till in stock and is 116.00.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos/Bigsby_Vibrato_Tailpieces/Bigsby_B50_Vibrato.html

I have the licensed import version on my Gretch electromatic pro jet and it works great and looks fine.  It looks and feels identical to the "real" one.  The fact that it has the word "licensed" on it in doesn't bother me at all.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 03:25:57 AM »

The import Bigsby are made by Bigsby and are Bigsby's.I have a B5 on one of my partscaster and when fund's come available I'll be ordering a B50 since it cost less and is of the same Quality.If the eagle wasn't always sreaming in pain I'f buy the B5 just because I like to by American and I still may end up with the B5 if a couple of gig's come thru.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 02:16:45 PM »

Being a lefty player, I have no choice but to buy the USA made B5 - the B50 isn't offered in lefty.

I'm okay with that - it's just tough to find a place that keeps the lefty B5 in stock, and when they ARE in stock, I don't seem to have the dough!  The lowest price I've seen for a lefty B5 is around $149 - which isn't bad - I've seen lefties being sold for as high as $250 or so...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
LeftyBlake

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »

Please post pics when you're done!
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 04:30:06 PM »

Need pics if it's done! I've been contemplating doing the same to my RS2. But would really like to see one, first. Well, what I'd really like is a B-Bender, but since they're quite rare for Stop Tails, I'd settle for a Bigsby. A bit expensive, but could come in handy.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 05:42:31 PM »

A long time back I worked on an Epiphone LP that had Palm pedals as the were called.I think they still be out there.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 08:52:54 PM »

Well, I tried reordering a lefty Bigsby B5 today - we'll see if they have it in stock this time (you don't know until after you place the order and you get shipping confirmation - what a hassle!).

If so, I'll have one on my RS-2 by the end of next week, and I'll post pics and a review.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 08:56:12 PM »

I'll have one on my RS-2 by the end of next week, and I'll post pics and a review.

Looking forward to that Mike!!!!!!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 02:35:32 AM »

Rev about a week ago I tried to get the people I deal with to order me as many lefty Bigsby that were available.It just got back to me today and they had non at this time.I hope you get yours.I also asked them to back order me two of each B3,B5 and B7 so if any come my way I'll let the lefties out there know.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 04:21:23 PM »

Well, I got an e-mail that said my order has been filled and shipped! So I'm hopeful that I will have a lefty Bigsby by early next week ... I'll keep you posted.

The price was right - $149.00 + $4.99 shipping at  this link.

It's going on this guitar:

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 08:15:40 PM »

Well, I got an e-mail that said my order has been filled and shipped! So I'm hopeful that I will have a lefty Bigsby by early next week ... I'll keep you posted.

The price was right - $149.00 + $4.99 shipping at  this link.

It's going on this guitar:

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Tio Kimo

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 08:38:12 PM »

forgive my ignorance...is the B5 the model that requires no drilling?

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »

forgive my ignorance...is the B5 the model that requires no drilling?

You don't have to drill any new holes if you order a Vibramate to mount it on. The Vibramate uses the two holes of the stop tailpiece, and the B5 is mounted to it with four screws. The Vibramate has felt pads on the bottom of it so it won't scratch the guitar's finish.

Check it out here. I'm in no way connected to this dealer, other than I ordered my B5 from them - I got the lefty Vibramate a couple months ago from Elderly.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 03:51:47 PM »

Following this one closely. Details on install and all, if possible. I may be right behind you on getting one. 

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 04:36:45 AM »

Ugh! I'm hoping my B5 comes tomorrow, because we're leaving town late tomorrow afternoon and not returning home until late Saturday!

How does this happen?! I NEVER order anything and I NEVER go anywhere, yet when I do order something, it's always scheduled to be delivered when I'm going to be gone!

angry

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 04:54:24 AM »

crying AAHHHHH the agony of it all....can someone take it in for you...WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE...You never order anything mail order and you never go anywhere,RIGHT...soooo whatsca doin,where you goin...I thought you had a couple of kids you can't bribe them to hang out and take the box in 

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: