Larrivee AND Martin Owners???

Started by jack1031953, March 04, 2013, 12:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've had my Martin since 1974 (D35S model).  A very boomy guitar to say the least a lot like the SD models.  I purchased  an 0M-05 custom with the same wide neck (17/8 inch) and 09 abalone appointments  a few years back from a fellow member here.  A beautiful sound all its own.  The Martin, I've had a few issues with the little E string catching on the frets once in a while.  This is mostly when someone is strumming fairly hard.  Whereas I use finger picks, I don't have a problem.  The Larrivee I think plays a little easier. 
Al
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

I will always have fond memories of all my Larrivees, especially my C-05. She was just wonderful, unfortunately I ran into a thing they call.........."Martin"

Since, I've own a 0-16NY, HD-28, 00-18V, OM-18V, OM-28V and OMJM. Just GASSing for two more and I'm done.

Maybe someday, Larrivee will come back to me.

A Martin OOO-15 is what got me back into guitar after a long layoff. I pulled it off the wall at a shop, hit a few chords and fell in love. The OOO-15 next to it on the wall was one serial number removed from mine and sounded dead by comparison to me, my brother-in-law and the store owner. That could be quality control, inconsistency or any number of other things that say nothing bad about Martin.

Then I wanted something in spruce and rosewood, and found a sweet deal on an OM-03R. I's the only Larrivée I've played, so I can't say anything general about the brand.

They're different. The Martin is all sapele and almost seems to want to play old-timey, blues and bluegrass. The Larrivée has what I would call a lusher sound, and really shines on more singer-songwriter type stuff. On the other hand, my brother-in-law makes the Martin sound like it was made for jazzy/Kottke/Benusan stuff. My favorite is, as a previous poster said, whichever I am playing at the time.

I've played mandolin for a long time, and I've learned that the name on the headstock matters a lot less than the hands on the instrument, especially past a certain level of price and (presumably) quality. Martin makes some great guitars and if my low-end OM is any indication, Larrivée does too. We live in an age with a dizzying number of choices of fine instruments. I'd say we're lucky, but my wallet disagrees.

Anyhow, this is my first post, so enjoy the donuts.  :donut  :donut2  :donut2

I traded away my Martin for a Larrivee last summer. And yes I miss my Martin, but no regrets either.

One thing I forgot to mention: The only real difference in quality I can discern is in the tuners. The Martin stays in tune. The Larrivée ... it has different ideas. But coming from mandolin, that doesn't bother me too much.

Formerly owned 1927 0-18. It was super light. It had no Popsicle brace and the upper transverse brace was just a 1/4" thick brace.

Nice to have choices. Nice to have differences. Nice to have more than one guitar. La buena vida.   :beer

Martin and Larrivee, both make great guits.  I have played lots of newer Martins.  Most have been less than impressive.  I did play a used 0028VS in Gryphon Strings a couple years ago.  That one almost came home with me, but it had that 1 7/8 nut that is just a little too wide.  I have 3 stellar Larrivees, my all mahogany Om-05MT, my JCL 40th Reissue, and a D10 Brazilian.  I have all the bases covered. 
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 05, 2013, 09:28:59 PM
Nice to have choices. Nice to have differences. Nice to have more than one guitar. La buena vida.   :beer

nice to have more than 10 guitars?
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on March 07, 2013, 08:39:37 AM

nice to have more than 10 guitars?

Presents it's own problems but yes, it's luxurious. I'm down to 18, including a bass, a baritone, two mandolins and a uke, as of last week. Sold my MIM telecaster and my 1965 Jazzmaster, gave my buddy my Washburn 12 string and loaned my son in law my Larrivee L-01 for safe keeping. There are a couple more for sale and I'll probably leave a couple here with my kids. I can't take all these guitars to Mexico. As problems go, however, these aren't bad ones.  :cheers    

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 07, 2013, 09:15:07 AM
Presents it's own problems but yes, it's luxurious. I'm down to 18, including a bass, a baritone, two mandolins and a uke, as of last week. Sold my MIM telecaster and my 1965 Jazzmaster, gave my buddy my Washburn 12 string and loaned my son in law my Larrivee L-01 for safe keeping. There are a couple more for sale and I'll probably leave a couple here with my kids. I can't take all these guitars to Mexico. As problems go, however, these arent' bad ones.  :cheers   

I have a couple for sale as well.....
18 from 23 is a start....
what else you sellin'?
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on March 07, 2013, 09:44:52 AM

I have a couple for sale as well.....
18 from 23 is a start....
what else you sellin'?

So far my Silvertone 1448 and my Yamaha Drop 6 electric baritone. Maybe my OOO-50 but I'm not sure about that. In reality, all but a few if the price is right.   

I have an OM-03R which is lush sounding to my ear but with a good balance. I chose it's over an L-03R because it was more comfortable. There's been many a time I wished I'd held out for an LV-05 but I fell in love with the OM first and mine's a gift so it's not going anywhere. I also have a Martin D-16GT which as far as Martins go is brighter than your typical Martin so I think I'm missing out, but I preferred it to getting another Larrivee because I wanted some variety. Still, there's been many a time when I regret not holding out for a D-35 or an HD-28V, or even a GC-MMV. I guess that means that one day I'll have to buy at least one more of each! Of course, that doesn't include my GAS for a Taylor GS8 or any of these build projects where I'm trying to make my own "dream guitar."
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

I've owned an OM-03R, OM-03 12 string, and a limited edition L-09. I currently own Martin 0016C-DBR, OM-1, and old 00-18G. I just sold a D-18 and have owned a few other Martins.

I don't think any production guitars on the market are made with a better fit & finish than Larrivee. They're simply beautiful guitars. The workmanship is on a par with a lot of smaller shops, and that maple binding is awesome. I also love the 1 3/4" nut necks on the OM models. Tonally, I think the Larrivees I've played and owned tend to be very well-balanced and especially good for gentler fingerstyle playing. I'd like to play more of their mahogany-topped guitars. I keep hearing good things about them.

That said, the Martins I have now may not be quite as pretty, but there is something to the Martin tone that works for me. There is a bit more aggressive attack and growl when you dig deeper. The ones I now have aren't quite as "polite" as the Larrivees I've owned, and for my music that is a good thing. The 00C-16DBR especially. I play that one mostly in open tunings these days—after a brief period where I struggled to figure out how I should use it—I'm loving it! Really snappy and better dynamics now that the guitar has been played for a number of years.

It's all pretty subjective though, and there is no question at all in my mind that they both make great guitars. I also feel that way about Taylor. I'm not a "Taylor guy" but I recognize the quality and consistency of their instruments. It sort of comes down to personal style and taste. Lately, I've fallen in love with SCGC, and my OM/PW has become my main axe.

Cheers,

I do have a Martin OM-1 (which some say is near the low end of Martin's guitars) which I actually am very impressed with. has the stratabond neck which some don't like. I actually love the neck and is easy to play. The sound to me is a little softer than my Larrivee OM-05. Could be the satin finish on the Martin. Have only had the Larrivee for a few months now but I love the sound, playability and balance and build. Also a beautiful instrument. Had always wanted a Larrivee and couldn't be happier. Perfect guitar.
If something happened to either I would buy them both again.
Larrivee OM-05
Martin OM-1

I prefer the 03/05 series to the lower priced Martins.  I love the tone and quality of the higher priced Martins I've played but I just prefer Larrivee.  It's hard to say exactly why.  Both makers make fantastic selling guitars with excellent build quality.  And Larrivee is no longer a secret that is kept, unless I'm mistaken, they are the 3rd largest guitar guilder in North American behind Martin and Taylor.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: bluesman67 on March 12, 2013, 09:35:29 AM
I prefer the 03/05 series to the lower priced Martins.  I love the tone and quality of the higher priced Martins I've played but I just prefer Larrivee.  It's hard to say exactly why.  Both makers make fantastic selling guitars with excellent build quality.  And Larrivee is no longer a secret that is kept, unless I'm mistaken, they are the 3rd largest guitar guilder in North American behind Martin and Taylor.

Do you think Larrivee has surpassed Gibson? Hmmmm. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 12, 2013, 09:48:15 AM
Do you think Larrivee has surpassed Gibson? Hmmmm. 

Oh yeah, those guys!  As far as acoustics go, maybe?
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: bluesman67 on March 12, 2013, 02:14:02 PM
Oh yeah, those guys!  As far as acoustics go, maybe?

I kinda doubt it. While around here we might perceive there are more Larrivee acoustics out there, surely there are a lot more outlets stocking (and selling) Gibson acoustics than Larrivees...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: jack1031953 on March 04, 2013, 12:32:19 PM
folks who have owned, or currently own, a Larrivee and Martin.

Would like to hear your reviews, pros, and cons about each brand.

JACK--as you have seen already, too many loyal owners on each side.  As with do gentlemen prefer blonds, the answer is sometimes, but not all blonds all the time.  As with our guitars, I get bored with playing my Martin (000-28 VS) and pick up my Lari just for a different sound of the same songs.
When it gets too familiar, I switch to nylon (Alvarez Yairi) models and enjoy them for awhile, as well as resting my fingers.
Never will we, or anyone resolve to one brand, why would we when there are so many GREAT gits out there...but our Larrivee are right up there at the TOP, don't we agree?
:?

:guitar :thumbsup
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing