Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best 3 acoustic amps  (Read 11160 times)
placoustic11

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2013, 07:09:47 PM »

Looking to purchase an acoustic amp ,say $700 to $1200 range, which are the good ones?
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »

This will be interesting.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
PastorChuck

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 10:55:44 PM »

I had an Ultrasound and sold it to buy one of these - I like it!

http://www.lrbaggs.com/amp/index.htm

Here's one on CL:  http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/msg/3608029086.html   - this is a STEAL!
CJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 12:02:20 AM »

Acoustic amps have always disappointed me because none I've ever used (been able to afford) have had stereo input. The old Crate CA60D I had did take a mono guitar input and add stereo chorus internally to stereo 6.5" speakers with single tweeter, but the speakers so close together in a single cabinet didn't really give me the spatial effect I wanted. Don't know if there are any acoustic amps that accept stereo input or allow the attachment of a 2nd speaker for stereo use - admittedly I haven't looked all that hard for one and perhaps my (beer) budget wouldn't afford one. Mono chorus just doesn't work for me.

Anyway, I still have and use the old Korg Toneworks G2 I bought new like 20 years ago (?) for live work and recording. Were I ever to buy another PA system, it would be compact and capable of stereo in and out. I've been mulling the sale of my Carvin Stagemate (Mono) for some time now and whether I'd use the proceeds to replace it with a smaller/lighter stereo system.

Not until just last week when a Musician's Friend catalog showed up, had I seen a system that even tempted me for PA / AG / Vox work. The only solution seemed to be a pair of Bose L1 Compacts.

Then I spotted this in the MF catalog:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/hk-audio-lucas-nano-300-portable-sound-system

There's scant reviews / demos on it because it's new and it's from Europe - just making an appearance in the US this winter. But it meets my criteria for small, lightweight, stereo ... hope to hear it and evaluate next time I get up to the big city.

It's at the lower end of your co$t $pread.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:47:17 AM »

Find a nice portable PA from Fender,Peavey anyone.Acoustic guitar amps are ok if your just putting your guitar thru them but thats about in.I have use a couple of small un powered boards from Mackie and Beringer little 4 or 6 chann el units thru a power PA with a 12 and a horn.Also did a porch gig with my duo partner using my larger 12 channel Mackie with the powered cab on a tripod worked great.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 05:01:17 AM »

Looking to purchase an acoustic amp ,say $700 to $1200 range, which are the good ones?

Daedalus C81, or C82, populated as you see fit.  It could cost out at $700, or $1,200, or more depending on your chosen components.  That would be my first choice.

Other possibilities include acoustic amps from AER, Schertler, Ultrasound and Fishman.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 05:22:57 AM »

Genz Benz

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Glennd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »

Carvin AG 100D is well within your budget. You could add the auxillary cabinet plus a few mics, cords etc. and still be comfortably under your upper limit. Very durable and Carvin stands behind their gear.

1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D35 Maury Muhlheison
2010 Martin D21- Special
2011 Martin HD-18V Custom
2012 Martin OMM John Renbourn
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »

Find a nice portable PA from Fender,Peavey anyone.Acoustic guitar amps are ok if your just putting your guitar thru them but thats about in.I have use a couple of small un powered boards from Mackie and Beringer little 4 or 6 chann el units thru a power PA with a 12 and a horn.Also did a porch gig with my duo partner using my larger 12 channel Mackie with the powered cab on a tripod worked great.

i find this concept is the best sounding and safest route to go.
 i have two of these

http://www.mackie.com/products/srm150/

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 05:59:27 PM »

I also have this unit, which is astounding, and, light wieght and cheap
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/portable-pa/expedition/xp308i/

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 01:24:37 AM »

Roger, that Genz Benz looks outstanding. That has to be the next piece of gear...

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
johnr

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 10:25:45 AM »

yeah ;i'd go for the PA .i just bought a Carvin small system . still use my ultrasound ,but when i jam with friends ,no one else can plug in with just an amp...so i use the PA now.
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 01:04:26 PM »

Ultrasound or Roland, both sound very natural to my ears.  Roland AC-60 or AC-100 are feature rich.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 02:14:43 PM »

However, somehow, this keeps coming up and they never listen.    
ChagarMusic

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 03:37:39 PM »

@PastorChuck,

Good job finding that LR Baggs amp as it has been discontinued from production.  But I love this amp if you can get your hands on it.

Gary
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 09:05:57 PM »

+1 to unclrob and  +1 to headsup 's suggestions.  Also nice would be to buy a keyboard combo amplifier.  Basically, anything that is designed to provide full range output without the cabinet intentionally coloring the sound can be used successfully as an 'acoustic' amp.

Electric guitar amps generally don't have this; their speaker/cabinet combinations normally significantly color the sound from a spectrum standpoint - exceptions are some modeling amps that have proper crossed-over multi-speaker setups to handle different frequency ranges per speaker and simulate the cabinets by using a combination of amp modeling and cabinet modeling accomplished often through using recorded impulse responses of the cabinet mic'ed in some particular fashion.

But these portable PA systems will handle the task of being an 'acoustic' amp with aplomb and often give more versatility than what are marketed as 'acoustic' amps.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 10:51:18 PM »

heres Monte Montgomery playing through a PA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfh-KKIHPHc

and Monte playing through dual SWR strawberry blondes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raysldDV6eI

you be the judge...I think the amp would make more sense if you use pedals but the PA for totally clean,,,hope this helps.

So to answer your question 1. SWR strawberry blonde 2. Carvin AG 3. Fishman loudbox

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 08:18:45 PM »

Hello Music has a 65 Watt 2-way 3 channel keyboard amp right now for under 300 bills.  http://www.hellomusic.com/Items/kma65x-3-channel-combo-weffects

That would work very well for an acoustic amp.  If I needed one, I would pick this thing up in a heartbeat. 

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
CJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 11:11:30 PM »

Figured out a way to re-configure / re-purpose my existing gear to get that small stereo system I've wanted.

My main PA was the mono Carvin Stagemate S400D, which includes the 4 channel mixer/amp in the back of the main speaker and an un-powered extension speaker. They have 10" woofers and 4" tweeters. For monitors, I use the Carvin PM5B mic-stand mount spots, driven by a Carvin HT-150 stereo amp (2x75WRMS). When I record, I've been using an Alesis Multimix USB into a Laptop running Adobe Audition v1.5.

Decided to try running the mics and guitar with the stereo Korg Toneworks G2 guitar processor through the Alesis Multimix, and run the main outs to the power amp and to the Carvin PM5B's (mounted on a couple of multimedia speaker stands from Menards), and run the monitor out from the Multimix to the Carvin Stagemate main as a kind of 'subwoofer'.

Not having a crossover or inline bandpass filters, all I can do is turn the treble and mid controls on the Stagemate down all the way.

Surprisingly, it sounds pretty good in my 'man cave' and instead of selling all that for a newer / system, I'm just going to pop for a used DBX 223 or similar crossover with the hope that splitting the output from the Alesis Multimix at about 120hz, will give a nice stereo sound with no overlap.
Here's a couple pix of the setup - excuse the wire snarl.

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »

Hello Music has this Kustom 65 W Acoustic amp on sale right now.  Not publishing price to honor forum rules, but let's just say it's about 1/3 of the price the OP had in their range:  http://www.hellomusic.com/Items/sienna-65-acoustic-combo

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: