Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vietnamiese builder on Ebay - Inlaidartist. Beautiful guitar-0 check this out!  (Read 1440 times)
skewzme

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:37:12 AM »

I was skeptical about buying this because I read this guy used green woods and a host of other issues. Some said they'd received guitars that already had cracks in them when they arrived.  I bought it anyway because I got it dirt cheap and it was just gorgeous in the picture. Paid $155 on a no reserve auction + $160 for shipping.  It arrived yesterday, and all I can say is WOW! The koa and inlays are beautiful ( the inlay is really over top, too much actually). Nice gloss finish. One piece neck.  It played reasonably well right out out of the box, and it sounds pretty good too.
No, it's not perfect.  The frets are flat. They need rounding and polishing. You can tell it's not a factory built guitar because of small things here and there, but to me that's part of the beauty of it, knowing some guy over in Vietnam built it by hand.  I am very, very happy with this instrument.
vacapicker

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 05:30:18 AM »

I too have been curious about these, but not as adventureous as you.   Stunning inlays and the woods used look good.  Are you going to have the frets dressed?   Can you post the specs?  Best, J.D.

"You can observe alot just by watching." Yogi Berra
skewzme

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 06:02:42 AM »

I too have been curious about these, but not as adventureous as you.   Stunning inlays and the woods used look good.  Are you going to have the frets dressed?   Can you post the specs?  Best, J.D.
What specs are you asking me to post?
I think I'm going to try to crown and polish the frets myself. I have a few throw away guitars I can practice on, but I'm in no hurry because the guitar plays reasonably well as is. I think I want to just enjoy it and get around to the details in time. 
Lastly, I'll say this. The complaints I read were all old. It may be that this guy is building them better than he used to. I also think some people who've complained may have had expectations that were too high. This isn't high end Taylor or Larrivee.  I own a $3000 Taylor and a $1500 Larrivee, so I  know what quality guitars feel like, and this guitar doesn't disappoint me. It's just different. In some ways I'm actually more excited about this one because of it's uniqueness.
I'll be happy to post whatever you like. I could make a video of it and post it on youtube if anyone's interested.
vacapicker

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:49:11 PM »

A video will be great!   I'm interested in the nut, spacing, radius, anything you can tell about.   J.D.

skewzme

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 03:46:14 PM »

A video will be great!   I'm interested in the nut, spacing, radius, anything you can tell about.   J.D.
Sure. I happy to put a video up. I'm currently away from home, but should be back on Friday and will get it up then and post a link here.
I haven't really had the guitar long enough to go over it in any detail. As I said, the guitar plays "reasonably" well now, but I'm sure there are some refinements I can do.
You asked about the nut - think the slots are a little too deep. The saddle is uncompensated, straight and uncut. I'll probably replace it with bone.  It's also tall, which tells me the neck/body relationship is good, with plenty of room for height adjustment if needed in the future (the saddle on my Larrivee, by comparison, has been shaved about as low as I can go with it and has no room for future adjustment if needed).
To my way of thinking, nuts, saddles, electronics, tuners, are all small items that can be changed out or corrected if need be. The important thing is the guitar itself, and from what I can see so far it's a winner.
skewzme

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »

Video of the guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axwv7KZPdtc
vacapicker

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 06:32:59 PM »

Really great u-tube on this guitar! Thanks.  By the way-you and the daughter are bringing back the memories with my brood on,"Little Help With My Friends."  J.D.

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 07:24:55 PM »

Thanks for the great review.  I applaud you for responding so quickly to those who requested info and a video.  Another example of the helpfulness demonstrated by so many of our forum members and why it's such a great place to hang out.

Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Niteshooter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:05:22 PM »

I saw those guitars the other day as well. I think there is a youtube video of the people who build these guitars. They store their wood on the balcony!

Couldn't find it just now but here's another video in Vietnamese on another guitar builder Huynh Kim Hoang, I cringed when I saw him pounding in the neck with a mallet.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kHF1YP8y9Q
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: