00 scale length question

Started by headsup, February 26, 2013, 08:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Right now, over in the " for sale forum" there are TWO 00-03 guitars (both on the top of the pile), both lovely, both 12 fret,  both made in Canada.

one is a V cutaway with a 24.75 scale, the other is non cut 25.5 scale.

why am I finding this odd?

I realize 3/4 of an inch can be substantial when it comes to scale length, but why would a company even like Larrivee go to that much trouble re tooling for the same body, same wood, same trim/finish on these two guitars?

anybody?
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

In a word, demand.

Both were short run.   I am pretty sure 25.5 is the 'normal' OO scale for Larrivee, but some of us 'lobbied' for a short run of short scale OO's.  I think 24.9" is 'standard' for 00 12 fret Martin. 

Ed

I think it was LA Guitars that had a run of custom OO's, then some of these other shortscale models came out as well. The standard scale model has been around a long while, though not many are ever made at one time.

Quote from: dependan on February 26, 2013, 09:09:57 PM
I think it was LA Guitars that had a run of custom OO's,

See above.  Ted (La Guitar sales) did a custom run.  The additional cost of building the tooling and .tap files was passed on to the original customers.

I was seriously considering ordering one until the order changed to a short scale. (When the scale changed the cost went up by about $200).