Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The UltraSound 15 - how to change its power supply?  (Read 878 times)
Danny K

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2013, 04:18:25 AM »

The UltraSound 15 sounds like a great amp.  Is it possible to set this up so it could be powered by batteries and still portable (easy to carry)?

Thanks, Dan
CJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 05:32:35 AM »

I own a Carvin Stagemate which comes with an internal 12V 7Ah lead acid battery and integral/internal charger. The battery lets me run the main cabinet (with no extension speaker) for 3-4 hours depending on how much I crank it. I popped for the 2nd battery from Carvin to get up to 8 hours (4 with the extension speaker). Each battery weighs 6 lbs. and over time, I found the only time I ever used it on battery power, was at home when I couldn't find the doggone power cord. 

So the other day I popped the 2 batteries out of the main unit, reducing it's weight by 12 lbs (LIKE!), and took them to the Battery House to have then checked since they're 10 years old. I also talked to the salesperson about other battery options, since the Carvin has a 12VDC in connector as well as the 120VAC in.

The salesperson showed me a slick setup whereby he was using a car-sized 12v 35Ah sealed lead acid battery to power a DC to AC converter and a bank of 120VAC lights and lava lamps they were also selling. The battery could be had for about $75 and the DC to AC converter for about $50. Such a setup could power a small guitar amp and there's certainly less expensive DC to AC converters out there. I have one in my car I got for about $30 - a Cobra CPI 480. One word of caution on DC to AC converters; some of the 120VAC items I've attempted to run off of it (Battery to DC/AC Converter to appliance), didn't work well. Reading a little about the inverters, they do not provide the same power/sine wave that your 120VAC wall outlets do. So some appliances don't work right. The inverter does have a USB outlet and will charge phones, will power the netbook and charge the Kindle ... but one item I had hoped to use it with while driving - an electric hot pad, didn't work well - in fact made a funny oscillating sound out of the heat control switch.

He also showed me a new Lithium Ion battery that would replace the batteries in my Carvin Stagemate and weight a little more than a pound, but cost about $100 each! So I don't think I need it that badly. 

So to go battery powered for a regular 120VAC amp, would cost about $75 for a 12VDC/35Ah battery, $30-50 for an DC/AC converter, and $25-50 for a 12VDC battery charger.

Suddenly I don't feel so bad about what I paid for my Carvin Stagemate - separately the components really add up.

CJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:00:40 AM »

Danny, have you seen these?

http://www.crateamps.com/products/pindex.php?prodID=25

They've been around awhile - if you shop around, the price is just a bit more than you'd pay for that Ultrasound/Dean Markley amp. Specs are similar -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: