Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodall Owners  (Read 1984 times)
247hoopsfan

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:10:30 PM »

Any Goodall owners here? I have 2 really nice Goodalls for sale nearby and am looking for opinions.  One of them is the Standard model, one is a Traditional Dreadnaught.  I have played a Standard before, but have never seen a Goodall dread.  Both of them are sitka/EIR, so I imagine the tone is similar.
My question for Goodall owners is:  Do you tire of the overtones?  The Goodalls I have played have all had heavy overtones, and I wonder if I would get tired of the sound.

I don't really need any more guitars, but the price on both of these are pretty good. I am leaning to the Standard model since I think it would be easier to re-sell if I didn't like it.  Both are used, but in excellent condition.  The standard is $2500 and the dread $2900.  Not sure if I could get them for a little less.

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »

Played a few, have not met one that comes close to THIS In our For Sale Section just sayin 

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
247hoopsfan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:17:23 PM »

Played a few, have not met one that comes close to THIS In our For Sale Section just sayin 

There is not much that can top my JCL 40th Anniversary edition and my D10 Brazilian either.   bigrin
Have you played the 45th Anniversary model?  Wonder how they sound compared to my JCL.

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:23:42 PM »

Some years ago I had a friend with a Koa backed Goodall dread. Outstanding guitar. I think of Goodall as one of the super premium, Martin-clones like Collings and SCGC. Very rich tone, and notably bassier than any of them.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
devellis

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 11:14:40 PM »

I have a Goodall grand concert, European spruce over EIR.  It's a fantastic guitar.  I have some nice guitars, including guitars from Larrivee, Huss & Dalton, Bourgeois, and Collings.  My Goodall is every bit as good as any of them and better than several.  I play all kinds of stuff on it from fingerpicked country blues to flatpicked Irish traditional.  It's a stellar guitar across the board.  The overtones are ample and very rich but not obtrusive.  They don't give the guitar a muddy sound.  I think the key is that the sustain is not outrageous.  I had a Santa Cruz 000-12 that had incredibly long sustain and notes ran together into a kind of indistinct, mushy sound.  Not so with the Goodall.  I was mainly a flatpicker when I bought the Goodall and initially I had no knowledge of the brand.  Most people don't think of them as flatpicking guitars.  When I picked one up, i was just floored by the tone.  When I pick it up now after not having played it for a while, I have that same reaction all over again.  Balance is excellent and every note is round and clear.  It's also unusually loud when you lean into it.  Although i like the Euro spruce and rosewood, I've played others with different wood combinations and they've all been great.

Not everyone will love the tone, as it's pretty distinct.  But an awful lot of people do and you owe it to yourself to at least check it out.  You my be very pleased, as I was.
vibroluxreverb

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 06:06:39 PM »

My friend and neighbor has a Goodall traditional dreadnaught.  I've played it a lot.  It's a great guitar.  But, it's really is a very different animal from most other Goodalls and very different from the Standard.  Like somebody else said, the Traditional series guitars are a lot more akin to the premium guitars based on Martins.  In fact, when played back-to-back, it's not all that far off from my HD-28V in terms of its tone and feel.  All that said, those are good pretty prices.             

Martin DCPA4 Rosewood, Gibson J-45, Larrivee Forum III spruce/mahogany, Gretsch Tennessee Rose, Fender AVRI '62 Custom Telecaster, Vibrolux Reverb, Blues Jr.
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 12:14:02 AM »

I've owned a couple dozen Goodalls over the years.

The Trad Dread will be much drier in the overtone department, that's the way they are voiced.    The Standard would be an overtone machine for sure.

The problem with the Goodalls I've owned isn't as much in regards to overtones as the fact that they all seem to get muddy in the mids when the strings get just past played in.  I demand clarity across the spectrum with my guitars and they just don't fit the bill.   I think it's partly the graduated thickness tops, but just the voicing in general.

I had a falling out with James a few years back and that solved the problem!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Eastman E10OM Sunburst - Mahogany/Adirondack for sale 650.00
Larrivee OM-05E Mahogany/Sitka for sale 750.00
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
dspaeth218

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »

I've got a Goodall Maple/Sitka Cutaway from the Hawaii days. Huge sound. I never 'tire' of the abundant overtones, but I can't play it for hours, certainly. And it never leaves the house, so it's really a Show Dog Guitar.
I've had a real problem getting any type of response from Goodall or Larrivee!! Is there a customer service manual these guys study that says, "Always ignore the people who own and play your guitars!! They obviously don't know what they're doing...." Seriously flawed business practice. I'm not sure I'd ever buy another product from such disrespectful people. How do you actually get through to Goodall or Larrivee???
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »

How do you actually get through to Goodall or Larrivee???

Have you tried a telephone?

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 02:42:14 PM »

Have you tried a telephone?

I've never had trouble reaching Larrivee either by email or phone.   Goodall....now that's another story. ohmy

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Eastman E10OM Sunburst - Mahogany/Adirondack for sale 650.00
Larrivee OM-05E Mahogany/Sitka for sale 750.00
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 04:51:21 PM »

I have a Pacific model  cedar/quilted maple.  Always in tune, and realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly smooth to play.  It's a parlour, but much larger than a Larrivee parlour.  I prefer the couch potatoe when I am kicked back on, well, on the couch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: