French Polish on Guitars

Started by webberink, February 19, 2013, 11:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

There is a real interesting thread over on the AGF under custom guitars about David Wren, a well known world class luthier who is among several excellent Canadian luthiers who apprenticed with JCL in the early days. He is french polishing his guitars and he has some real interesting comments about what this brings to the table re tonal qualities of acoustic guitars.  So it raises the question, has Larrivee ever done this form of finishing on say any of their presentation level guitars for example?  And has anyone here ever had a Larrivee refinished with a french polish???  The pictures of the french polish on the David Wren guitar are absolutely stunning.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Can't say that I can see FP as adding to the sound of a guitar. FP is, in it's simplest form, thin coats of finish, usually laquer, but perhaps shellac, with the final coat sanded with pumice and rhottenstone. This produces an almost glass-like finish. But it's all about the abrasives used, and the coats of finish being first applied in such a way as to provide a true, flat, surface.

Just my 2 cents...
Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog

I like french polish because it goes over anyother finish when repairing a finish though I no longer do any finish work.As for Larrivee's I believe that the mandolin's at least some of them use french polish.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Hi sawdustdave,
The procedure you describe doesn't sound like the one David Wren describes on AGF.  Here is the link if you are interested (if the  :cop: allow me to do this ... some one will no doubt try and shoot me for trying this).  It is response #23 on the second page. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281854&page=2
Dave 

I know from my work with antiques that French polishing is very hard to do. It takes the right ratio of shellac to oil, a proper applicator, and a skilled hand to achieve the final finish. When done properly it is stunning. I think shellac would make a great finish, benefitting tone and great as long as moisture/water is avoided.

Okay so which is it? French or ... Polish? I slay me.  :roll

I guess I should have known better and done the dictionary thing with this post for the benefit of ducks.  I definitely meant pol-ish, not Po-lish.  You are not the only one you slay duck.  :crying:
Dave

My understanding of French Polishing is based upon 30 years of woodworking, and ww books and the like on finishing. Lots of elbow grease, not physical pressure, but lots of rubbing the built up finish.
Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog

I've had a couple French polish guitars and found the finish too fragile. I am not really a top abuser either.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Hadden,
That's what I was kinda wondering about.  With this in mind I guess the question then becomes a saw off between possible tonal improvement vs durability???  I wonder....
Dave

It doesn't have to be a French polish to be an ultra thin finish. Joe White does poly finishes that are super glossy and just as thin. I think there's a misnomer that poly finishes must be thick and that isn't true. In fact, a poly finish can be thinner and still provide the same (or better) protection. With poly you can go down to .002-.003". FP and nitro is fine but there are better options now.