Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you play your RS-4 (or other HB gits)  (Read 1138 times)
bacchus

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2013, 04:49:11 PM »

Hey all,

I have been playing around trying all kinds of different ways to dial in my Forum V and I am just curious how others here play their RS-4 and/or other humbucker equipped guitars.  How do you dial them in to achieve this?

For me, I have been leaving the clean stuff to the neck (the mini in my FV) which does a fantastic job in this capacity.  I usually use the bridge humbucker for more dirty, crunchy tones.  I have found that my guitar and amp combo (a DAG 15 - modeled after an AC 15 Top Boost channel) seems to like having the volume on the guitar turned down to about 7-8, with the tone about the same and the amp cranked to get some nice, even crunch.  I usually use this in tandem with a light OD pedal to goose the signal just a bit on the front end.  I find that full volume from the guitar can be really bright (maybe due in part to the amp) and this is a good way to shift the focus a bit.

What do you think, how do you guys do this, any interesting tips or tricks?

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:31:54 AM »

Well, as I am presently playing the RS4 HB, I can add to this thread.

First, I only use a good tube amp, with no distortion pedal.

I take a bit of time finding each pups "sweet spot", basically full volume, and roll back the tone pot until I get it. (usually about 1/4-1/3 of it's travel).

The remaining  part of the tone pots "travel" i reserve for "headroom" (horsepower on demand-if you will)

The I select the middle (both) pups for playing, and THIS is where the RS4 really shines.

The closest control to my finger now is the Rhythm pup's volume, and here is where (IMHO) the power is.

By simply rolling back that pot, there is an infinitesimal amount of tone variation.

As the extra neck pup's harmonics are faded gradually (and you can stop the pot anywhere, but the smallest amount nets HUGE results),
we hear the gradual and subtle addition of the bridge pup.

At any time in the scenario, I might go for a little bit of the bridge pup's extra horsepower from it's tone knob, and finally in anticipation of a solo nod, depending on which amp, which drummer, whack the switch down to full on bridge pup and just wail (until I get the "look").

Then  I simply and quickly return to the comfort zone of middle position, with the ponies rode hard and put away wet.

hope this helps,

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:39:46 AM »

OK I can't help[ myself when you have posted the perfect setup............................................Though I don't have an RS4 or any guitars with humbuckers but I find ...................................

.............................................USING TWO HANDS works best............................................................................

Back to the real post......

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 04:10:39 PM »

@Rob- well I guess that would explain the forced, awkward applause when I play with only one arm.  So if I use two, will that make me twice as good or twice as bad?

Thanks for the reply headsup, Nice post!  I'm often curious what I am missing without the standard HB configuration.  I have heard it said a couple of times that the rs4 really likes the middle position.  Regardless, I am happy with my config anyway.

You mention controlling "horsepower" with your tone knobs.  I assume you mean things like the brightness and presence of the pup, or am I mistaken?  This actually brings me to a newb question about the tone knobs in the middle position on 50s style wiring.  Could anyone describe the logical interaction between the two tone knobs?  How do they interact with each other, does one (maybe the neck) have a stronger influence than the other?

Anyway, thanks for the responses, I'm genuinely curious about this stuff.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 04:19:19 PM »

OK I can't help[ myself when you have posted the perfect setup............................................Though I don't have an RS4 or any guitars with humbuckers but I find ...................................

.............................................USING TWO HANDS works best............................................................................

Back to the real post......

Two hands are for sissies.    blush
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 05:12:21 PM »

@Rob- well I guess that would explain the forced, awkward applause when I play with only one arm.  So if I use two, will that make me twice as good or twice as bad?

Thanks for the reply headsup, Nice post!  I'm often curious what I am missing without the standard HB configuration.  I have heard it said a couple of times that the rs4 really likes the middle position.  Regardless, I am happy with my config anyway.

You mention controlling "horsepower" with your tone knobs.  I assume you mean things like the brightness and presence of the pup, or am I mistaken?  This actually brings me to a newb question about the tone knobs in the middle position on 50s style wiring.  Could anyone describe the logical interaction between the two tone knobs?  How do they interact with each other, does one (maybe the neck) have a stronger influence than the other?

Yes I mention "horsepower" in this set up drawing on tone (edge if you will) rather than volume.
This isn't just for RS4 Humbuck er guitars, any 2 pup 2V,2T config really (just my own way).
This is where tele's and strats really can't compete, but hey, they have their own attributes....

Anyway, thanks for the responses, I'm genuinely curious about this stuff.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: