Not mine, but someone's selling an Forum V (RS-4) in the DC area

Started by Hooked, February 07, 2013, 08:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I understand the RS4 is lauded as using the best components/wood etc. I see the Forum V pictured has a pretty impressive top, is the mahogany body/neck etc of a higher grade?
Larrivee RS4, G&L Legacy, Sigma DM1ST, Larrivee Bakersfield (en route), Cornford Roadhouse 50.
Lots of drums.....

Quote from: Devondrummer on February 22, 2013, 02:02:01 PM
I understand the RS4 is lauded as using the best components/wood etc. I see the Forum V pictured has a pretty impressive top, is the mahogany body/neck etc of a higher grade?

I would think so.  These were especially selected for this limited run.  In any case, all their necks and body woods are of very high quality.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on February 22, 2013, 03:43:18 PM
I would think so.  These were especially selected for this limited run.  In any case, all their necks and body woods are of very high quality.
The highest quality actually. Regardless of brand Larrivee Collins, Gibson etc. These had been set aside by ML and JCL for something very special and the Forum V was considered by ML to be very special. The light weight of the mahogany and the beautiful figured top is what makes the Forum V very very special.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Also, the finish was a special 'Forum V' color - ice tea burst.  Lets not forget the wicked mini's, though not every FV had those.
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

I had forgotten about the custom color finish.  That's another feature that makes these ten one of a kind.

OK, that doesn't make logical sense.  Shall I say, 10 of a kind?  :rolleye:

Greetings all  :donut :donut

I thought I would add to the information loop here.  :bgrin:  I was the original owner of #7.  I can attest that it is a stellar guitar, with several upgrades over regular RS-4 including the figured maple cap, the beautiful inlay on the headstock and the iced tea burst finish.  It plays and sounds great.  The only reason I moved it is that I already have an RS-4 (all mahogany with the G3 humbuckers) that is my main electric. 

It is really a matter of taste as far as pick-up preference.  The mini's had great articulation, and had a faster attack and were a little hotter than the HB's.  The mini's sounded great clean as well as with overdrive, and I think would cut through well in a band setting or mix.     

To conclude the story, I hadn't really planned to move the Forum V but I am playing only acoustic lately and DreaminColor listed a nice OM guitar in the marketplace that caught my eye, so we worked out a trade involving the Forum V.

I would like to add that DreaminColor was great to work with, is very trustworthy and is very knowledgeable about guitars.   

Sometimes it takes a little while for a guitar to find its ideal owner, and I hope this #7 gets played a lot by someone !   
P-03 OM-09  RS-4

Quote from: jojo123 on February 23, 2013, 12:51:39 PM
Greetings all  :donut :donut

I thought I would add to the information loop here.  :bgrin:  I was the original owner of #7.  I can attest that it is a stellar guitar, with several upgrades over regular RS-4 including the figured maple cap, the beautiful inlay on the headstock and the iced tea burst finish.  It plays and sounds great.  The only reason I moved it is that I already have an RS-4 (all mahogany with the G3 humbuckers) that is my main electric. 

It is really a matter of taste as far as pick-up preference.  The mini's had great articulation, and had a faster attack and were a little hotter than the HB's.  The mini's sounded great clean as well as with overdrive, and I think would cut through well in a band setting or mix.     

To conclude the story, I hadn't really planned to move the Forum V but I am playing only acoustic lately and DreaminColor listed a nice OM guitar in the marketplace that caught my eye, so we worked out a trade involving the Forum V.

I would like to add that DreaminColor was great to work with, is very trustworthy and is very knowledgeable about guitars.   

Sometimes it takes a little while for a guitar to find its ideal owner, and I hope this #7 gets played a lot by someone !   

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........another Forum V with minis to go with my P90 one...................that'd be so sweet............NO NO wake up.  Must not cave, must not cave    :crying:

I've been an acoustic player for a long time and only began playing electric a few years ago. I've had the good fortune to own a number of (too many) luthier-built acoustic guitars, as well as several examples from the smaller builders (Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Goodall, etc.). I am extremely impressed with the build quality, attention to detail and materials used in this Forum V model. These are truly top notch instruments. "jojo123" described the mini humbuckers well. I will add that they take some of the best characteristics of traditional humbuckers and single coil (Fender type) pups without the muddiness I sometimes hear in humbuckers and harshness I sometimes hear in singles. They are more "immediate" and clearer than humbucker guitars I've owned. The Forum V is very powerful in my (Mesa Electra Dyne) amp.

My reason for selling is strictly for ergonomic reasons. I have some back/neck/wrist issues that have really limited the selection of guitars I can play comfortably - especially when standing. Smaller guitars with short scales seem to fit me better. I've been playing my Hamer Artist exclusively these days. It's unfortunate, because the Larrivee is a fantastic guitar.

Just concluded the arrangements to buy this guitar, Forum V #7, from DreaminColor.  Now I have to settle in for the wait to ship from Virginia to Vancouver, B.C.  Can't wait to get my hands on it!!
Larrivee RS4 Forum V  (#7)
Larrivee custom L-03 ZW
G&L ASAT Special
Fender Stratocaster (Eric Clapton Signature model)

Quote from: El Cajone on February 27, 2013, 01:33:47 PM
Just concluded the arrangements to buy this guitar, Forum V #7, from DreaminColor. 
Great!!!! Will be waiting to hear your impressions
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Just concluded the arrangements to buy this guitar, Forum V #7, from DreaminColor.  Now I have to settle in for the wait to ship from Virginia to Vancouver, B.C.  Can't wait to get my hands on it!!

THANK YOU! i haven't had a good nights sleep since this was listed. Deliberating what I could finagle....

Congratulations, enjoy
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"

Awesome, you are getting a very special instrument.  Even more so since it is probably one of only a couple that has minis in both positions.  Id love to hear your opinion and even some sound clips (I'm curious what the mini sounds like in bridge position).

Congrats.
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

QuoteAwesome, you are getting a very special instrument.  Even more so since it is probably one of only a couple that has minis in both positions.  Id love to hear your opinion and even some sound clips (I'm curious what the mini sounds like in bridge position). Congrats.

Thanks.  I'll try recording the p/u's on my Boss eBand and see if I can produce anything worth listening too.

I should have the guitar on Friday.
Larrivee RS4 Forum V  (#7)
Larrivee custom L-03 ZW
G&L ASAT Special
Fender Stratocaster (Eric Clapton Signature model)

:donut :donut2 :coffee :coffee
Dear all,
Please forgive me for renewing this thread, however....
This thread identifies all three owners of the RS-4 Forum V #7 who had the guitar before me.
So I wanted to add myself, for history!
The guitar arrived Nov 25, 2015, and it is great. I had been looking around for an RS-4 for awhile, and when I saw it posted for sale, I sort of felt it was "the one" for me. I jumped on it, and I was right.
I will post more on this guitar later somewhere else.
Mike
L-05
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Congrats!

The last time this was up for sale, I remember thinking that someone was going to wind up getting a pretty special guitar.  If didn't already have one, I'd have been all over it.  Since I originally got my Forum V, I've managed to get a couple older Hamers as well.  They've got something pretty special going on too, but my Larrivee is still probably the nicest guitar I own.  Whoever built these was doing something pretty amazing.   I'm not sure if they did something different with this run, or what, but mine has a really special vibe to it.  It's a shame the RS-4's got lost in the world of boutique guitars.  Larrivee was doing awesome things with them.

I recently purchased a "vintage" Music Man 212 HD 150 combo ca. 1976.  I've been getting to know it, so to speak, by playing all my electric guitars through it, tweaking knobs and settings, etc.  It's an awesome-sounding amp with tons of classic tone with any guitar I plug into it.  They all sound good, yet my Forum V with P90's really comes alive with that amp and is definitely a cut above the rest of all of those guitars in terms of tone, balance, response to picking, dynamics.  But then again, it beats them all no matter which amp. I use to compare them.

When you add that to how well it actually plays and feels, like many have already stated, it's the best electric guitar I've ever experienced.  And it's a hell of a good-looker to boot.

I'm actually a little surprised that #7 has changed hands that many times.