Not mine, but someone's selling an Forum V (RS-4) in the DC area

Started by Hooked, February 07, 2013, 08:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thought I'd post there here as something this nice deserves a great home... Mods, feel free to move or delete if I'm overstepping....

Forum V - RS 4 in DC area
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Oh man....did you have to go and do that?

That is stellar...
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I just finished playing the crap out of mine for the last 2 hours.  This is a great buy for someone.

Something about the ad just really bugs me though.  It's the implication that the guitar is Larrivee's version of a Les Paul, starting with the title of the ad.  Why does the seller have to call the guitar a Larrivee "Les Paul" Limited Edition?  It's not a friggin Les Paul, it's a Larrivee RS4 limited edition.  I'm really ticked that the seller thinks he has to throw in the Les Paul reference in order to increase his/her chances of selling it.  The RS4 is an outstanding guitar period.  And yes, the Forum V is a limited edition of it.  So why not just avertise it as a Larrivee Forum V limited edition RS4?  Sorry, but this just really ticks me off.  What do you other 8 forum V owners think about this?

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Doesn't bother me a lick - whatever helps him sell it I suppose.

No denying it was strongly influenced by the Les Paul

I always called mine a Les Paul Killer  :winkin:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I'm not a forum V owner, but I'll weigh in.

First, if the guitar is still owned by the original owner, it's someone who frequents this forum, because everyone who bought one would be someone who 'hangs' here. Therefore, I think we should be gracious toward fellow forum members.

Second, whether it's the original owner or not, they're probably trying to reach the widest possible market/audience, and Les Paul's are infinitely better known that Larrivee RS-4's - so he's likely to get a whole lot more hits on his add with that description. At that point, buyers will determine if they're really interested when they see the actual guitar (NOT a Les Paul knock-off at all) and check out the specs (different scale length, but much of the rest similar to an LP).

Personally, it won't attract people looking for a real LP (or close copy) at the price they're asking. Gibson has been selling a number of Les Paul models very close to the asking price, so the general public will pass on it for the 'real thing' at a very similar price.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

OK then,
What Mikeymac and JOYCEfromNS posted has calmed me down.

I mostly agree with Mikeymac and JoyceFromNS, the owner can sell this however they think they need to.  I will say one thing though, these aren't Les Pauls, and that isn't a bad thing.  I can dial it in like a Les Paul for sure, but it goes beyond that.  The sad fact is that you simply have to appeal to people within their comfort zones.

I cant imagine selling mine, this thing is a keeper.  I really don't need another guitar...well, that is going a little far, but the sentiment is real.

Best of luck to the seller, and I hope the person that gets it bonds with it and gets to enjoy this fantastic instrument to it's full potential.
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

couple thoughts as a craigslist troller, a larrivee owner, and an RS-4 suitor.

I'm assuming this is not the original owner, and he mentions he prefers local sale, which sure, anyone would. I'm assuming he "needs" a quick turn, or wouldn't he have offered it here to the most appreciative market he'll ever find?
Thinking in terms of a craigslist sale, he's wise to use Les Paul because he'll have a lot of traffic from guys who may consider what is still BIG money for a guitar to the general buying public, many of whom may be only vaguely aware of Larrivee, and to his credit, he calls out the difference in scale length. Again, you assume anyone considering a mortgage payment for an instrument knows that's a significant spec.

My initial thought was like yours L07.

Two other "thread veer" questions.....

compare/contrast the minis in the RS- 4 to the G3 buckers, if you could....

has anyone considered black Kluson tuners on the Forum V, to allow that inlay to "pop"? Love the tulip buttons,and they would remain, but  I think going black on the posts could be very cool. If I were blessed enough to own this bad boy, I think I'd throw the $80.00 at it just to see.....

2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

Quote from: Tio Kimo on February 08, 2013, 09:31:09 AM
compare/contrast the minis in the RS- 4 to the G3 buckers, if you could....

It is hard for me to compare the mini and full HB's since, while I have one of each, they are in different positions. 

Disclaimer - I am terrible at describing sonic nuance.  I could be totally full of it and just not know it.

The neck mini is fantastic, it has a nice almost single coil quality with a hearty dose of mids and a fair bit of power and richness.  I absolutely love this pickup in the neck position.  This pickup can be bright, but it can be tamed.  The mini gives me some excellent clear, articulate, clean to cleanish tones and seems to excel from there up through a nice thick chime.  Great for blues, jazz, and music in that sonic landscape.  Im not sure how I'd feel about it in the bridge though, I guess I'd really have to try it.  To be honest, my inclination is that because I really like to play into heavier rock territory, the full bridge humbucker is more fitting for me.  The minis do break up nicely, but it takes some pushing to get any real crunch or grind (in the neck at least), and it isn't quite like the classic HB grind that I tend to love in a bridge position.

I would really love to hear what other FV users have experienced and how it relates to my experience.  I would especially like to hear about any bridge minis out there.
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

Hey All - I just noticed this thread. I'm the owner of the Forum V that's listed on Craigslist. I obtained this beautiful instrument in a trade from the original owner (and a forum member). It's an outstanding guitar, with incredible attention to detail and quality. I love the neck (longtime acoustic player) and the pickups. Sadly, it just doesn't work for me from an ergonomic standpoint. When standing, I cannot get comfortable. This is the case with many electrics due to back/neck issues, and now some wrist (fretting hand) problems as well. I've had to part with a few of my favorites for the same reason(s). It's very unfortunate as I really wanted this guitar to work.

As for the "Les Paul" reference, this pretty much sums it up:

Quote...whether it's the original owner or not, they're probably trying to reach the widest possible market/audience, and Les Paul's are infinitely better known that Larrivee RS-4's - so he's likely to get a whole lot more hits on his add with that description...

Very few folks out there have heard of Larrivee electrics, let alone an RS4. Advertising it as a Larrivee RS4 just isn't going to hit a very large audience. And, in fact, the two prospective buyers who've shown interest thus far are indeed Les Paul fans who are interested in a similar designed guitar with a longer scale. In my experience, the RS4 is leaps and bound a better built guitar than the LPs I've played over the years, especially considering the price of Gibsons.

I've just lowered the price (I had no idea how to price this guitar) a little and offered the guitar on The Gear Page. I plan to list it here too. I was hoping to find a local buyer to avoid the hassles/risks of shipping, but I'm growing weary of the unbelievable number of "scammers" on Craigslist these days. I'd like to take some better photos when weather and time allow. Stay tuned!

Quote from: DreaminColor on February 10, 2013, 06:04:38 AM
Hey All - I just noticed this thread. I'm the owner of the Forum V that's listed on Craigslist. I obtained this beautiful instrument in a trade from the original owner (and a forum member). It's an outstanding guitar, with incredible attention to detail and quality. I love the neck (longtime acoustic player) and the pickups. Sadly, it just doesn't work for me from an ergonomic standpoint. When standing, I cannot get comfortable. This is the case with many electrics due to back/neck issues, and now some wrist (fretting hand) problems as well. I've had to part with a few of my favorites for the same reason(s). It's very unfortunate as I really wanted this guitar to work.

As for the "Les Paul" reference, this pretty much sums it up:

Very few folks out there have heard of Larrivee electrics, let alone an RS4. Advertising it as a Larrivee RS4 just isn't going to hit a very large audience. And, in fact, the two prospective buyers who've shown interest thus far are indeed Les Paul fans who are interested in a similar designed guitar with a longer scale. In my experience, the RS4 is leaps and bound a better built guitar than the LPs I've played over the years, especially considering the price of Gibsons.

I've just lowered the price (I had no idea how to price this guitar) a little and offered the guitar on The Gear Page. I plan to list it here too. I was hoping to find a local buyer to avoid the hassles/risks of shipping, but I'm growing weary of the unbelievable number of "scammers" on Craigslist these days. I'd like to take some better photos when weather and time allow. Stay tuned!

I hadn't considered all the reasons for the Les Paul reference in the ad that were pointed out after my "whining" post.   I was a bit rash and I apologise.

QuoteI hadn't considered all the reasons for the Les Paul reference in the ad that were pointed out after my "whining" post.   I was a bit rash and I apologise.

No worries at all. It's good to see and read some passionate responses about these guitars. I wish it would have worked for me - it's a great instrument.

Quote from: DreaminColor on February 10, 2013, 02:12:27 PM
No worries at all. It's good to see and read some passionate responses about these guitars. I wish it would have worked for me - it's a great instrument.

Yes, they are great indeed.  I love mine.  Sorry you can't enjoy it to it's fullest.  And good luck with your sale.

So, I see the Forum V is a limited edition. How does it differ from a "regular" RS4 ?

Thanks
Larrivee RS4, G&L Legacy, Sigma DM1ST, Larrivee Bakersfield (en route), Cornford Roadhouse 50.
Lots of drums.....

Quote from: Devondrummer on February 22, 2013, 11:35:34 AM
So, I see the Forum V is a limited edition. How does it differ from a "regular" RS4 ?

Thanks

10 forum V's were built. there is variation even within the 10 as to the pickups installed, (and possible the tuners?)

the basic platform is consistant with a stad RS-4. Maple Cap on Mahogany body, Mahogany set neck. Beyond that the main issue is pickup selection and bling. the headstock inlay is not found on a std RS-4, for example.

this particular has mini humbuckers, which is not the standard p'up on an RS-4. so basically, you're looking at a RS-4, with a bit of bling and mini's.

2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

Tio Komo has covered most of the differences.

As owner of #4, I'll add that the body and neck woods were all chosen from JCL's stash of select woods.  Also, depending on the age of the "regular" RS-V being compared, the forum V's pickups are all the latest generation Larrivee pickups and were hand wound by Matt Larrivee.  Any combination of Humbucker, Mini humbucker, or P90 was available.  Mine is the only one with 2 P90's in it.  Bridge is standard Tone-Pros stoptail but gold hardware and/or bigsby was offered as an option.

There are a couple of threads that give the whole story in great detail, here:
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=38097.0
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=39263.0
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=37949.0

Also there is an album on Larrivee's facebook page that documents the build in pics.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.345989445448068.76461.104036859643329&type=3

Interesting, thanks. Always nice to have something a little bit individual/unusual.
Larrivee RS4, G&L Legacy, Sigma DM1ST, Larrivee Bakersfield (en route), Cornford Roadhouse 50.
Lots of drums.....

The biggest difference IMO were the choice woods - no class of wood in any brand higher