Scott Mcneill guitars......

Started by fitness1, February 02, 2013, 11:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A few weeks back an AGF member posted a gorgeous German and Walnut OM by Scott Mcneill.  Up until that time I'd never seen one of Scott's instruments......it about took my breath away.

I immediately went to his site and found an "available" OM cutaway in Cedar and Lacewood complete with a couple of recordings that sounded pretty darn good.

(please note the price listed on this page is for a 2 year old shop demo guitar Scott had been experimenting with - his base price is higher)

http://www.mcneillguitars.com/lacewood-cedar-om/

Well, most of you know I don't need much encouragement, and the deal was done after a couple of emails and a quick phone call!!

Scott was nice enough to cut a new nut and widen the string spacing for me.   We waited a week or so because there was a break coming in the frigid temps.....it shipped Monday and showed up yesterday.

The workmanship is beautiful and the voice is very pleasing.  It has a little better string separation and sustain than a typical Cedar OM to my ear.   I was told that it was a somewhat experimental instrument and had spent a good deal of time with the strings and/or the neck off.  He said it had maybe 2-3 hours of play time when he shipped it out.

After an hours play or so Wednesday I could hear the strings playing in and the tone getting more "round"   Today, after another 8-10 hours of play and another fresh set of  strings, it's got me totally enamored!

I've been after a 14 fret cutaway, and I'm not normally a cedar guy, but something about this one just felt right.   I'm glad I took the chance, and very pleased to call Scott a friend now.  He was a real pleasure to work with - many emails in the last few weeks and couple of phone calls and I found him to be very personable and knowledgeable.

Scott is very humble about his work, and told me he didn't think this was his best sounding guitar....hmm, may have to try another!! :winkin:

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Nice pics, Todd.  And as we know, you are picky in quality and sound. Looks sweet!
As per forum decorum, can you give me a PM about his price range--not asking what you paid, just the range. Is this a "standard" build; meaning sound port and all the bling are his norm?
We (four of us Mi. Forumites) are thinking of getting together in the Ann Arbor area in Feb...want to come and bring your beauties?!

Oh, never mind (the PM), I just went to his website!

oops....too late!

Might be interested in a gathering....keep me posted.
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Very nice Todd.  Thanks for posting.  Enjoy that new guitar!!

I can see why it took your breath away.  Absolutely stunning!  Enjoy it and we look forward to some sound clips.   :nice guitar:
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Quote from: Tuba Mike on February 02, 2013, 07:22:07 PM
I can see why it took your breath away.  Absolutely stunning!  Enjoy it and we look forward to some sound clips.   :nice guitar:

Thanks....this is the one that got my attention initially...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278427

If you click on the link in the first post, there are a couple of sound clips that Scott recorded.... :thumb
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Very nice indeed - the top looks really good. The price quoted on the link seems very reasonable for a hand-built guitar, too.

Love the headstock and the 5 pc. neck. I also love the cedar top.
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

I really like the combination of the wood and the abalone on the rosette.  Can't say I'm a fan of the lacewood though.  I'm strictly talking aesthetics, not tone.  I have absolutely no experience with the sound of lacewood.  I just find it busy looking if you know what I mean.  Just a personal preference.  Funny, but I don't particularly like the look of quilted maple on a guitar either, yet I like flamed wood grain in any wood.  I guess I like straight lines better than circles?  :wacko:
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: ewalling on February 02, 2013, 08:28:08 PM
Very nice indeed - the top looks really good. The price quoted on the link seems very reasonable for a hand-built guitar, too.

just to clarify, this was a shop demo guitar that he had done some experimentation on.  His normal base price is a bit higher.
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka