Parlor as main/only acoustic?

Started by slide13, January 25, 2013, 03:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Another vote for OO. Parlors don't have the oomph of an OO. But they are not very big either, for an only guitar I would not want just want to have only a parlor.But I could easily be happy with just an OO.

Quote from: dependan on January 28, 2013, 09:27:42 AM
Another vote for OO. Parlors don't have the oomph of an OO. But they are not very big either, for an only guitar I would not want just want to have only a parlor.But I could easily be happy with just an OO.
:+1:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: dependan on January 28, 2013, 09:27:42 AM

Yup!

Quote from: slide13 on January 28, 2013, 08:38:14 AM
I should also mention that when I say only guitar, I don't mean permanently.  If I start playing a lot and getting to the point where I play with other and want to play out sometime I'd certainly plan on getting a new L body probably. 

Honestly, when I think about what I want to play around with when sitting at home, it's the parlor.  Same thing when I was in the shop playing the parlors next to a L-03R.  The L-03R certainly sounded nicer and fuller, as is expected, but the parlors sounded nice in their own way and I kept wanting to go back to them.  Might go back in the next day or two to try again....but leaning towards picking up the P-03 possibly. 

Ultimately, it's your judgment that matters.  What any of us would do shouldn't influence you if your own hands and ears tell you that a parlor guitar is what would make you happiest.

Went back tonight and played the P-03, OM-02, and a OO-03MT. Loved the size of the OO and it was a really cool sounding guitar, though maybe a touch dark. Might consider it but it's a few hundred more than I was hoping to spend. Wish I could find a spruce top OO.

You are fortunate to be able to play so many first. I would suggest going back and playing each one until you think that you know which model you want. Then go back and play that model even more.

Very cool thread.

One thing I am thinking about ...

I have an OM and an L. But I am thinking that a parlor would be a very cool guitar for swing blues. If I could get one with a cutaway, I figure I could swing just as hard on the thing as I could on a Les Paul. It would probably fit into the mix pretty well with an upright bass.

Whaddya all think?
"Soulshine is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain."

For me, a parlor is great as a main guitar providing it's not too small. I have a Takamine TF87PT New Yorker - all solid cedar and koa - and although I have a few guitars, I could quite happily play just that one if push came to shove. It has a rich sound, plenty of volume, and de-tunes well. It also has the Cooltube pickup. It has 14 frets to the body and a comfortable 24.7" scale length with 1 11/16" at the nut. Takamine does both cheaper and more expensive models of the New Yorker body size.

I was at Elderly yesterday and played every parlor sized guitar they had. This one was by far the nicest sounding to me, very articulate with a ton of sustain and sounding much bigger than its size.

I would recommend this specific guitar to anyone looking for a small guitar. I played a lot of expensive guitars and this guitar stood out from the rest including the Larrivee 000 and Sloped Dread that surprisingly sounded the same to my ear. The H&D and the SCGC just didn't do anything for me, they were very nice don't get me wrong, they just didn't seem worthy of the price. The Elderly edition Martin 0 was also very nice but seemed a little tight compared to the Heindel.

Off topic but I also played a very nice sounding Martin D-28 12 string, they even had a left hand version.   :nice guitar:
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I have a P-03R and just love it.  It is definitely a guitar that can be played in all kinds of situations, although is is also definitly not the easiest guitar to play, at least for me.    IMO a Larrivee parlor is definitely not my choice for a beginner guitar any more than it's a dedicated couch potato.  But here is the thing, my dear old dad always said, "Beware of the man with only one gun, he can probably really shoot it."  A person with one guitar like a Larrivee parlor could do amazing things with it in all kinds of venues.  Larry Pattis is just one classical example of what can be done on a Larrivee Parlor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvMKfkl3YGw  .  My advice ... buy the parlor, the rosewood one ... and play on it till the cows come home ... you bectha.  :winkin:
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Quote from: webberink on January 31, 2013, 03:16:45 PM
I have a P-03R and just love it.  It is definitely a guitar that can be played in all kinds of situations, although is is also definitly not the easiest guitar to play, at least for me.    IMO a Larrivee parlor is definitely not my choice for a beginner guitar any more than it's a dedicated couch potato.  But here is the thing, my dear old dad always said, "Beware of the man with only one gun, he can probably really shoot it."  A person with one guitar like a Larrivee parlor could do amazing things with it in all kinds of venues.  Larry Pattis is just one classical example of what can be done on a Larrivee Parlor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvMKfkl3YGw  .  My advice ... buy the parlor, the rosewood one ... and play on it till the cows come home ... you bectha.  :winkin:
Dave
Very good analogy.

Hi there. Welcome.

If you fingerpick: the parlor (subject to your definition of such) should be fine. 

On my wall are 4 guitars: 2-OMs, an LS, and one size 1.  (Note that I think a size 1 is bigger than a "parlor", but there are those who think "parlor" includes 00s and 000s. YMYV)

I pick up the size 1 first, almost every time.  It's easy to hold, and it was not too much money.  It's loud enough for home, unless I'm jamming with a group. My player friends say they like the sound, but they're just being polite.  I could live with this guitar as my only guitar, but a big part of it's appeal is its relative lack of value: if it gets whacked, I am not out a lot of money.   
Bob

Northwood
Noname Italian classical 1969
Hashimoto classical 1963
Conde Hermanos (3)
Martin nylon backpacker
Blueridge 341
sadly sold: Larrivee Forum III

I'm new to parlors myself, but I am really enjoying my new P-03R and it is quickly becoming my main, go-to guitar.

Of course I think it really depends on your playing style.
Larrivee P-03R Limited, Italian Alpine Spruce
Yamaha AC1R