Parlor as main/only acoustic?

Started by slide13, January 25, 2013, 03:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

First off, this is my first post here so  :gotdonuts:

:donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :donut

I wanted to get peoples opinions on the parlor as a main guitar.  I live in a small 1 bedroom condo and will pretty much only play at home for myself.  I used to play when I was younger but haven't played seriously in many years so this will be used to get back into playing and just for entertainment.  I do have an old Alvarez dread back home at my parents so it wouldn't really be my only acoustic...but the only one at my place.  There is just something appealing about the small size of the parlor (and I'm not a small guy) and the quieter volume for a multi-unit dwelling so I won't bother the neighbors. 

For those who have a parlor and something else...say an L or an OM or something....what do you find yourself picking up the most for just playing around with at home?

Welcome to the forum slide13!   :coffee :donut

The parlors aren't exactly known for their strumming power so if that's your thing, you won't be too impressed.  For fingerstyle they do quite well and I could play one for a long time.  Not sure I would have just a parlor but if that's all your space allows, then go for it.  Oh and your neighbors will hear it too.  Medium gauge strings are a must on these short scale guitars.  Cheers

Hello Slide.........Have you played 12/14 fret parlors and 0/00 size?   Try a bunch before you choose.  I heartily endorse the move to a small body.  If this is for couch pickin' and patio playing, you're in the right direction.  J.D. :beer
"You can observe alot just by watching." Yogi Berra

For playing by yourself, they're great.  If you're playing with others, it will get lost.....unless of course, you're mic'd.

Quote from: Walkerman on January 25, 2013, 07:33:16 PM
For playing by yourself, they're great.  If you're playing with others, it will get lost.....unless of course, you're mic'd.

Which speaks more about the people who play big guitars than the guitars.  For a lot of people, playing music is like an arms race...  (s)he who is loudest wins.  That's where terms like 'cannon' and 'banjo killer' come from.

My parlor has been my main guitar for quite a while.  I don't have to strain my voice or use a mic to be loud enough.  When playing with people who want to play with others, it can keep up just fine.

Ed

As you can see from my signature line, I have a dreadnaught, an OM, and a parlor.

If you are speaking strictly for home use, I pick up the parlor the most. When I play out I use the d-60 the most but have been using the omv-50 a good bit as well.

I actually bought my parlor just for the sake of having something smaller to use strictly for couch and recliner playing and I love it.

All that said, don't limit yourself to a parlor....check out the 00 size and LS size guitars from larrivee.

Good luck!!
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Quote from: eded on January 25, 2013, 08:24:31 PM
Which speaks more about the people who play big guitars than the guitars.  For a lot of people, playing music is like an arms race...  (s)he who is loudest wins.  That's where terms like 'cannon' and 'banjo killer' come from.

My parlor has been my main guitar for quite a while.  I don't have to strain my voice or use a mic to be loud enough.  When playing with people who want to play with others, it can keep up just fine.
Ed
Playing with others, that's a whole can of worms and worthy of another thread.  If you're fortunate enough to play with a group that is sensitive to balancing things out so all can be heard, that's great.  My experience is that a "snowball effect" happens.  Player A can't hear himself/herself so he plays louder or turns up the volume.  Then player B can't hear so he/she turns up, and on and on it goes.

Anyways, I agree a parlor is a fine choice for someone who just want's to play at home, learn some tunes or whatever.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Hello slide. Glad for your visit with us. If you need to be quiet where you play, you might do what I did recently. I got some cheap carpeting and covered the walls with it. It sure quiets the room down and eliminates echo. Sound waves hit the carpet and stop righht there. I like the effect. Also consider getting a oo instead of a parlor. It will be quiet enough in the apartment, maybe, and loud enough at group play. Of course if its a short scale you're looking for, get the parlor. Have fun and remember to share you're experience with us.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

It really isn't about the guitar. It's about the enjoyment of making music. Buy the guitar you which feels best to you and then enjoy making some music. Welcome to the forum.    :donut :donut2 :coffee

:welcome: slide and thanks for the  :donut 's

I play my parlor more than any other acoustic I have.  It is way more comfortable in a chair at home.  As for tone and volume that has a lot to do with the instruments' construction as well as size and/or body shape.  I am surprised at how many people have commented that my parlor is a "cannon".  Due to physical limitations I rarely play a Dred.  Grand Concert is about the biggest I play anymore.

All that said I agree with the previous comment by GA-ME
Steve ....aka the SMan

Volume and tone are created by the player. If you attack the strings hard you will create volume but your tone will be harsh and invariable, if you play with a light touch you will increase your palette of tone variation or dynamics which in turn will keep you and your listeners interested.

Music is supposed to tell a auditory story and as such usually contains emotional highs and lows. Resist the temptation to get stuck on high.

Whatever body shape you choose I recommend learning to hold back on attacking the strings to get the most volume, this allows you to get the most tone variation and create emotion with your playing.

And above all else, have fun.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  Sat down at the shop with a P-03, P-03R, LV-03, and L-03R to compare to different woods and body sizes. I had originally been wanting an L but after thinking about Parlors they really had some appeal to me. The P models definitely don't sound quite as full, but still had a really nice sound. I think the full size sounds a little better but for some reason I enjoyed playing the Parlors more. Hard to pick between the regular and R version. R seems richer sounding, more overtones, but the standard seemed a little more focused. Going to have to keep giving this a little thought.

I love my parlor but they aren't for everyone although I happen to think the parlor and L body are Larrivee's best two models which is how I ended up with one of each. If you can get your hands on a Larrivee maple parlor, you may find it grabs you just like mine did.

The Taylor GS Mini I played on Thursday sounded pretty sweet too for a small bodied guitar. 

I think the main consideration is "your only acoustic".  I would say if it were your only acoustic, other small bodies with more diversity be an OM, LS, or OO.  I would give these a consideration and compare to a parlor.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

You should try the Double O  (00-) size  if at all posssible.  Just an inch or so bigger around than the parlour , and just an inch or so smaller than the L size, so you get more volume  and a little richer tone , while still having a small comfy guitar for couch  playing. Mine keeps up quite nicely when playing out with other considerate musicians. Like others have stated, if you get playing with people that are constantly upping the volume , than you need a bigger hammer than a couch guitar.
Martin 000-28 H Ambertone Custom
Larrivee 00-09 Wildwood Custom
Ovation Classical
Ovation Celbrity
Fender Nylon

Larrivee OMV-03R   SOLD
71 GIbson ES-355   Long gone
68 Gibson  J-45 Gone in the 70's
Fender Starcaster..sold in the seventies
72 Fender Tele Deluxe gone ,

I often wonder if the people who refer to a parlor as a 'couch guitar' have ever played one.

Ed

I get what you are saying about the "couch guitar" reference .  I try to be careful and just say " the guitar is comfy for playing on the couch".  A more precise  term for me would be "Recliner guitar" or "Lazyboy guitar" . I think most people have seen enuff parlors and O size , not to mention Martin size five etc , to  feel comfortable in using the generic "couch guitar" label. I think they are just diferentiating between  Dreads and "little"  guitars.
Martin 000-28 H Ambertone Custom
Larrivee 00-09 Wildwood Custom
Ovation Classical
Ovation Celbrity
Fender Nylon

Larrivee OMV-03R   SOLD
71 GIbson ES-355   Long gone
68 Gibson  J-45 Gone in the 70's
Fender Starcaster..sold in the seventies
72 Fender Tele Deluxe gone ,

Quote from: snkysnake on January 27, 2013, 11:28:23 PM
I get what you are saying about the "couch guitar" reference .  I try to be careful and just say " the guitar is comfy for playing on the couch".  A more precise  term for me would be "Recliner guitar" or "Lazyboy guitar" . I think most people have seen enuff parlors and O size , not to mention Martin size five etc , to  feel comfortable in using the generic "couch guitar" label. I think they are just diferentiating between  Dreads and "little"  guitars.

Perhaps, but to some "couch guitar" implies that's all it's good for which is misleading and certainly not the case.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I'm a big fan of small-bodied guitars but if I could only have one instrument, it wouldn't be a parlor.  Something like an OM is considerably more versatile.  On the other hand, for someone with multiple guitars, a parlor is one inclusion that I'd strongly recommend.  They're supremely comfortable to play and can have a distinctive voice that's really pleasant.

I should also mention that when I say only guitar, I don't mean permanently.  If I start playing a lot and getting to the point where I play with other and want to play out sometime I'd certainly plan on getting a new L body probably. 

Honestly, when I think about what I want to play around with when sitting at home, it's the parlor.  Same thing when I was in the shop playing the parlors next to a L-03R.  The L-03R certainly sounded nicer and fuller, as is expected, but the parlors sounded nice in their own way and I kept wanting to go back to them.  Might go back in the next day or two to try again....but leaning towards picking up the P-03 possibly.