Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Wood Opens Up More?  (Read 2847 times)
SMixon

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 09:50:43 PM »

Personally I don't think opening up means that the guitar gets louder as much as it's tonal personality really comes to life more. 

Different woods........... Different monsters.  But like Rob said in one of the first responses. Just play the snot out of it and it'll begin to open up nicely whatever wood combination you have.

Taylor 512
Fender 2013 American Standard Telecaster
Vintage Gibson J-45
Therdrail Amp
Carvin Nomad Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 12:41:06 AM »

The passage of time should also affect one's playing ability and familiarity with any instrument with which they spend significant time.  This changes how you voice your playing, which in turn changes how you hear and relate to your instrument, which in turn changes how the instrument even sounds to others. 
-Scott

I have found this to be true.  I also think the longer you play the more you listen for the tone you are looking for, then adapt to get it out of the instrument.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 01:50:51 AM »

I don't think playing the guitar makes a meaningful difference in opening up. Either the geometry has to change or the material properties have to change. I've never heard an explanation through what mechanism playing opens up a guitar. Godin's hand gestures don't count.

hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 02:31:03 PM »

Playing matters. I hear it most every day in the short term when my guitars warm up. And it is not me because the process starts from the start after I've played the first a lot in a day and then use others. Their sound changes and blooms noticeably. Not subtle. Long term it will be a combo of playing and property changes. (Btw Tommy Emmanuel talks about needing to warm up his guitars from playing before they are really ready to go.)

L-03 Italian Spruce
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 02:55:46 PM »

Playing matters. I hear it most every day in the short term when my guitars warm up. And it is not me because the process starts from the start after I've played the first a lot in a day and then use others. Their sound changes and blooms noticeably. Not subtle.

I think that's the player adjusting to the guitar. If you switch dirtbikes it takes a couple minutes until you get used it even if you've been riding another all day. The structure is different, so that makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that playing a guitar for 20 minutes "warms it up". Is it because of the temp increase? If so just keep the room a few degrees warmer. Is it the vibration that does something then the guitar returns to its previous state afterward repeatedly? I just have a hard time believing a very small energy input causes a noticeable change in sound but we have no theory as to why. 

Someone should try picking up a guitar that another player "warmed up" and see what happens. Hard to remove the user bias but would be interesting for a player with an open mind.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 08:15:08 PM »

Of course playing matters
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »

I believe we need to consult Willie Nelson to truly know which wood opens up more.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »

Yup
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »

That guitar always shocks me a little whenever I see it. Holy smokes.

L-03 Italian Spruce
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: