Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I just picked up an LS-2 and I've got a question  (Read 649 times)
wrxplayer

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2013, 05:39:11 PM »

I made a recent trade for a mint RS-2 and it arrived last night (in wonderful shape).  Took her downstairs, plugged her into my Savage Rohr, and played.

Overall I'm very pleased.  Nice and light, resonant, and I like the neck.  I also liked very much the tone I got from the neck pickup (where I tend to spend most of my time w/ a 2xP90 guitar.

BUT, flipping to the bridge pup, the tone got very thin.  Not as much girth or as much volume.  I was expecting, and hoping for, "nasty." 

Visual inspection shows the neck pickup raised perhaps 1/4" from the body and the bridge pickup is higher by about another 1/4".  There appears to be a little room to raise up the bridge more but not a lot.

So I wondering, is this experience/tone consistent with others' experiences with this model?  Perhaps the design of the pickups is to design the bridge pickup for "twang" rather than "grit."

Looking forward to your replies as well as perhaps suggestions.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:27:47 PM »

That should have some real nice bit and high end to it.Raise so that it has the same distanct between the neck pu and the bottom of the strings.See if that helps.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 09:59:10 PM »

Maybe it's parallax in the top photo, but I gotta say that action look REALLY high based on the picture.  This could affect tone of either pickup with the strings being so far away from the pups.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:40:47 PM »

Since reading your post, I had a chance to plug mine in...the neck pickup does have more fullness than the bridge...and the brdige P-90 on these CAN be 'twangy' if you leave the tone turned all the way up to 10; I tend to back it off to 6 or ever 5/4 to take out the twang.

But you're right, the bridge pickup doesn't have near as much fullness or low end, especially at lower volumes on the amp. However, I didn't think it was an unusable difference, so maybe your bridge pup should be raised slightly and the neck lowered slightly (if possible...I had to take the foam out from under the neck pickup to lower it a bit more).

I also occasionally just back the neck volume off a little to compensate for the difference...since yours is also the 2V/2T model, you can do this as well (I also do this with double humbucker guitars when needed to balance things out, or as needed for rhythm and solos).

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: