L series guitar with Italian spruce top and rosewood B+S

Started by Huw1952, January 23, 2013, 06:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi,
    Does anyone own an L series with italian spruce top and rosewood back and sides? If you do, could you post your thoughts on this combination of woods - basically what it sounds like!!!
Thanks
Huw

It would sound like a L-09
:nice guitar:
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

I've got that combo in a twelve fretter L and it sounds fantastic!  And this from a guy who was a die hard mahogany fan. 

I didn't know they made a 12 fret L body style.  What is the model designation?

Quote from: Walkerman on January 23, 2013, 10:12:43 AM
I didn't know they made a 12 fret L body style.  What is the model designation?

Hey Walkerman,  

After seeing your custom L in Italian/Madagascar I was going to order a custom just like it but as a twelve fret.  However just before I ordered it I found out that Wildwood Music had a very similiar one on order so I bought it.  Model designation is, LV-09E, twelve fret, Italian spruce over Indian rosewood with the snakewood binding and it sounds fantastic.  It's got everything and more for a guy who thought mahogany was the only way to go.

PS It looks like Wildwood has another that just came in. 

Thanks for posting the pics of your guitar - looks lovely. Just wondered if Italian spruce sounds any different to Sitka?
:donut :donut

I've been wondering the same thing.

I just received a P-03R Limited in Italian Alpine Spruce and EIR. I really like the tone of this guitar but I don't really know what aspects of it to attribute to the different-than-standard-Sitka top (if any). The fact that it's my first parlor guitar doesn't help my auditory confusion any...

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated - I am always looking to educate myself on these things.
Larrivee P-03R Limited, Italian Alpine Spruce
Yamaha AC1R

Here's a great link with some useful info on spruce and other top woods:

http://www.lonewolfguitars.com/options_master_grade_top_wood.html
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

I've got Italian spruce on two of my six Larrivees and to me they sound better than my sitka topped guitars.  To be fair about comparisons I don't have identical guitars with the just difference being the topwood.  The Italian spruce topped guitars are both twelve fretters with a cutaway, my idea of the perfect guitar, and they do sound good!  I also find that they are louder.