Your first Larrivee

Started by AZLiberty, January 20, 2013, 01:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My first Larrivee was not purchased for me. My son and I wanted to buy my wife a nice guitar.
After looking around and trying out various guitars we settled on a L-03.
I had heard of Larrivee a coupe of years before and was impressed by the value and construction of the 03 line.
Well my wife did not play the L-03 very much, I guess it was a bit too big for her comfort.
We saw a little Simon and Patrick parlor guitar with a cedar top, and she wanted it.
I got the L-03 in trade.

Quote from: AtlasHeating on January 27, 2013, 04:07:30 PM
I got the L-03 in trade.
Good trade  :winkin:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Back in '04 or '05, I was looking for an A/E for my son, since his playing had graduated well past the Hohner he was playing.  I ran across a used D-02E and we both were impressed.  The guitar didn't have a truss rod wrench, but another customer told us he had an extra at home, so he ran home and gave it to my son!  Pretty cool.  When I see him, he still asks about my son and his Larrivee.  He loves that guitar and has gigged it all over the State.

That got me interested in the brand, so I found a new OM-03RE in 2006.  There's been a revolving door for electric guitars in my house, but the Larrivee has stayed.  :donut2 :donut :coffee

My first Larrivee was a 1975 L style with the original rosette, spruce top, Indian rosewood back/sides, rosewood veneered head stock (no logo), full size Grover Rotomatic tuners and dot markers on the ebony board.  Clear pick guard.  I bought it used for about $600.00.  The label did not include a model number, but if I had to reference a modern model, it would be something like an L-09.  I played and travelled with the guitar extensively from around 1978 to 1995.   By then it was pretty beat up and the bridge had popped off a couple of times.  I used it as trade to have a custom dread built for me by a luthier in Michigan named James North.  I still have that one.

T'was a great guitar, especially for finger style.  I miss it.
Jeff Cohen
Larrivee D-50

99 OM-10K. I love this instrument !

Two  plus years ago, while on a business trip in Jacksonville, FL, my colleague (who also plays guitar) decided to go to local shop, Guitars Unlimited.  It was my first exposure to a line-up of Larrivees.  One of the Larrivee's on the wall was an L-03 Walnut/Cedar.  I'll admit it, I am a sucker for Cedar and as I have recently found out Redwood too!  So, with no planning, I ended up walking out with the L-03 Walnut/Cedar and when I returned home, I had to explain how and why I ended up with the extra luggage to the better half :rolleye:
the tragedy in life is not what you suffer, it is what you miss!

Checking to see how well this comes out using the smart phone. My first Larrivee.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing