A Confused Newbie...

Started by n0w testify, January 18, 2004, 01:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey everybody,

What a great forum you guys have going on here!  I've been reading over a lot of the archives...lots of useful information for us newbies to soak in.  

Within my price range, I'm looking for a D-03, D-04 or a D-05.  I'm not too keen on all the different wood options Larrivee offers, but I'm sure I will find out quickly...using this site, as well as Larrivee's and harmony-central.com.

My main question is about a Larrivee D-04.  It is all stock, but it has a satin finish, which supposedly makes it a lot "rarer"... doesn't this make it the same EXACT thing as a D-03?   :blink:

In the archives, I have read threads saying that there is a tonal difference between the satin and gloss finishes... but it never mentions what these differences are.  I read the thread about satin finishes and how delicate they are... definitely something to take into consideration.

Your guys' information is priceless to me... guitar shops with Larrivee's are a LONG drive from my house!  <_<

Thanks,
Drew

The D 04's had a gloss finish on the body....I am pretty sure. Although there is a lot of differing opinions about the difference between gloss and satin finish, I am not sure it makes a lot of difference. Generally, the satin is the same finish as the gloss with an additive to leave the finish satin. It is cheaper to produce as it requires no buffing to smooth the finish on the guitar. There may be a difference that my ears are too faulty to hear, but it is minimal. The satin finish on Larrivee's is very durable and protective.
Hope this helps!
Mike

Testify.  I have a D-03R which I love.  I could have bought a higher end model (that costed more) but I couldn't tell any tonal differences.  And I didn't want a hole in my guitar for the electronics.  I have the satin finish and I have read different threads 'talking' about the fragility of satin finishes, but I haven't found it true with Larrivee guitars.  Mind you I try to baby the guitar as much as possible, but I haven't even found a ding in the guitar yet (or a scratch).  The 03 would be a fine guitar to acquire (if it is a satin finished guitar)...

Mike Jones

Larrivee D-03R
K&K Pure Western P/U
Seagull S 12+
Ultrasound Ag30P
ESP EC 100-QM
Webstrings Lights

Testify -Welcome to the forum!
About gloss vs. satin finishes-I've never noticed a dfference in tone between the two. Maybe there are "golden ears" out there who can. The only problems I've ever encountered with satin finishes are: 1) A "glossing up" of the finish in areas where your skin contacts the finish, i.e. the neck or on the body where your arm rests.
2) They can be somewhat "noisy" when your arm or clothing brushes against them. This is especially noticeable when using a microphone to amplify the guitar.

Tom
'73 Gibson Hummingbird,'98 Ovation Std. Balladeer, '99 Martin 000-1, '00 Taylor 355, '01 Larrivee Parlor, MIM P-bass, '06 Rainsong AWS-1000

I have a D-03 with satin finish.  Satin finishes like Larrivee uses can be difficult to repair from what I've heard.  That said,  my Larrivee tried to fly last year from it's wall perch, but didn't flap hard enough.  Got a large crack in the side near the neck.  My local luthier fixed it and it looks great.  

Personally I think satin guitars tend to sound more lively than gloss guitars, but thats just my ear.
Larrivee D-03
Larrivee D-02 12 String
Blueridge BG-140 (J-45's are overpriced!)
Gibson J-45 (J-45's were overpriced :) )