F33? Authentic?

Started by jazznan, January 10, 2013, 11:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm interested in a used L. F33 but it has no signature that is visible through the F holes, how do I know that it's an authentic Larrivee mando?

It should have the Larrivee logo on the headstock and look like this.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

What reason would there be for it not to have Larrivee stickers on the inside? Where is the serial number located on a mando? Thanks

Can't answer your questions but here is a photo from this thread that I got from here.
Roger

Thanks. Would it be unusual for one to not have a label, or would early prototypes be diff.?

Does it have Larrivee on its headstock :?

Do you have pics :? An early proto-type could fit the description you presented but pics would be nice and would give me more comfort to comment
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on January 12, 2013, 03:51:10 PM
Does it have Larrivee on its headstock :?

:+1:  If it does then it would be authentic.  I couldn't imagine someone wasting their time counterfeiting a Larrivee.
Roger

I bought it. How can I find out more about it? Thanks

Looks like a Larrivee to me and as Roger states the likelihood of a counterfeit is slim. I have only seen the ser # of the Mandolins on the Label. But since it has no label it may very well have no ser # at all. From the look of the figuring ( tho the pics like mine, are far from the best) the figuring is not near as remarkable as most F's I have seen. Thus my guess it was a proto-type.

An authentic Larrivee.

The other possibility would be an instrument built by a shop employee say while under the tutelage of Matthew or Jean. Not sure how much of that kinda stuff gets out the door at Larrivee but I suspect like most shops whether it be guitars or pocket knives some would.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Will it be possible to find out any information about this mandolin?

I played it for months at the store and found it sounded fantastic, however now that I have it home and have put new strings on it, Ricky Skaggs set of .11's, the one's that say Ricky picks this set, it sounds really bright and tinny, not at all like in the store.

I thought the previous strings were lighter and maybe that would make a significant difference, any thoughts?

I'm kinda bummed right now, as I paid a good chunck $2000 for it, and it's not sounding right  :crying:

Play those strings in, and they'll lose some of their brassiness within a couple of days.
And esp. if they are 80/20 bronze they're going to be bright. I find that phos. bronze get less hiss (almost like sibilance) than other strings. Coated strings even less so.

thanks i will try that.....

Quote from: jazznan on January 15, 2013, 01:27:58 PM
Will it be possible to find out any information about this mandolin?
You can always try by emailing Larrivee direct per their website at Larrivee.com be sure and include the word Guitar in the subject area of the Email in order it passes their spam filters.

Would also suggest you include pictures and where you purchased it. I am assuming it was listed as a used instrument tho when you purchased it :? If not ( ie. listed as new), I would attempt to make it the retailer's problem  :smile:

One last thing is the finish lacquer or varnish  :?

I will try that thanks. I did buy it used.

How do I know what the finish is?

Quote from: jazznan on January 15, 2013, 03:19:39 PM
How do I know what the finish is?
Well I could be a bit misleading here  :wacko: I recall it being stated that the first 20 or so mandos were made of something other than varnish. Can't recall what it was  :arrow