Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can L-09 handle medium strings  (Read 1747 times)
rjmassaro

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »

Been plying light strings on my L09 for awhile.  I would like to try Medium.  I see many posting that say with some models you can go to mediums..then I see cautions...stay with factory spec light.

Any experience with medium?

Can the neck take the tension?

Thx
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »

All Larrivee Guitars, with the exception of 12 strings, will handle medium gauge strings - per the Larrivee Website

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »

Yes,you may need to adjust the neck and the nut slots but other then that the guitar will thank you with a boost in tone and volumn.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 05:56:45 AM »

I find the specs on the web-site interesting if not a bit of a surprize - all the printed catalogues I have state that all Larrivees have been set-up for mediums.
The web-site suggests that the standard series (all but the Traditional series) are set-up for Light strings.

Most of use know that our Larrivees love Mediums (I use Bluegrass gauge) to drive those soundboards optimally, so like Unclrob wrote there's no question they can handle the additional tension with ease, but the set-up for light strings simply means your guitar shouldn't buzz with light strings. It also means you can adjust your action lower without buzzing, should you go for Mediums because of the added tension.

Also what unclob wrote should you decide to go for mediums, check the width of the nut slots - if they are only wide enough for Lights you might find heavier strings won't seat properly in the slots, causing pinching and resulting in string breakage at the nut.

Somehow I suspect the slots should be ok for mediums though (They always used to set them up that way, why would they change now?  whistling)

Oh and welcome here - the L-bodies are great guitars  

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 06:14:06 AM »

Also what unclob wrote should you decide to go for mediums, check the width of the nut slots - if they are only wide enough for Lights you might find heavier strings won't seat properly in the slots, causing pinching and resulting in string breakage at the nut.

Somehow I suspect the slots should be ok for mediums though (They always used to set them up that way, why would they change now?  whistling)

Right so how do you check whether the slots are wide enough? - simple answer is you can't really, but you will know when the strings are pinching - making a snapping sound when you tighten the string over the nut. When you tune up or down you might also notice the change in tension not to be instantaneous but somewhat delayed accompanied by that snapping sound.

If a string breaks at the nut it is always a dead giveaway that the string is too wide for the slot or that the seating area of the slot is not perfectly round (or both).

That is the result of the string pinching and causing a stress concentration at that point.

I am pretty sure that won't be the case for a new Larrivee though and that the slots should be ok for .013"- .056" sets.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 02:32:10 PM »

Almost any well constructed modern guitar can handle  medium strings. The question more appropriately asked is ... can the guitarist. Me? Used to could but not any more. Come to think of it, joint care used to mean something entirely different, as well.      
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:18:31 PM »

Almost any well constructed modern guitar can handle  medium strings. The question more appropriately asked is ... can the guitarist. Me? Used to could but not any more. Come to think of it, joint care used to mean something entirely different, as well.      

angry Not Huss and Dalton!!!!!

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 04:51:08 PM »

angry Not Huss and Dalton!!!!!

Oh Huss is alright but I've always wondered about Dalton. Or is it the other way 'round?  
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 04:58:50 AM »

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 01:39:09 PM »

On the player handling mediums. If I go for a run I get depleted enough that I have trouble playing guitar afterwards. So I'm on the edge physically to be able to use them. I like what they do to Larrivees and have always had them on.

L-03 Italian Spruce
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 06:05:19 PM »

If you never pick up more than 10 pounds, 11 will feel heavy. People need to play mediums for a while before they decide they are 'too stiff.'

I used to only play mediums on all guitars, but now I pick string weight by the sound I want from that guitar relative to another. E.G. always mediums on a dread sometimes lights on my L -09 to weight it toward the OM sound, thus more contrast with the D. I don't notice the difference when playing.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 06:29:04 PM »

If you never pick up more than 10 pounds, 11 will feel heavy. People need to play mediums for a while before they decide they are 'too stiff.'

I used to only play mediums on all guitars, but now I pick string weight by the sound I want from that guitar relative to another. E.G. always mediums on a dread sometimes lights on my L -09 to weight it toward the OM sound, thus more contrast with the D. I don't notice the difference when playing.

I wasn't talking about being a 98 pound weakling here. I'm going to guess you do not suffer from osteo arthritis in your hands and hope you never do. String tension of a few extra pounds is very noticeable when it hurts. Especially over a long period of time. It's all about repetitive motion, after all. I still use mediums on my OOO and heavies on my baritone but I've switched to light or even extra light on others. Every little bit helps (and hurts).
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 06:38:12 PM »

Sorry to misunderstand. 

Actually I have some arthritis in my thumbs. Moving them helps. I also use one one those Planety Waves hand excersizers.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 11:29:21 PM »

Sorry to misunderstand. 

Actually I have some arthritis in my thumbs. Moving them helps. I also use one one those Planety Waves hand excersizers.

No problem. We just want to make music the best we can. 
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 04:02:34 AM »

I use a hot wax machine before I play a gig as my fingers are starting to get arthritic.At the last 4 gigs the temp has been in the 50's and playing outdoors makes playing almost too painful which makes playing lead and changing chords an adventure,I just can't give up my heavies the tone is just lovely.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »

I use a hot wax machine before I play a gig as my fingers are starting to get arthritic.At the last 4 gigs the temp has been in the 50's and playing outdoors makes playing almost too painful which makes playing lead and changing chords an adventure,I just can't give up my heavies the tone is just lovely.

I get it but I also think light strings still sound darn good on a decent guitar. Aching thumbs and finger joints just ain't much fun. Of course, I play a lot of electric and use ordinary light guage on all of them. Except the baritone, that is. I use extra light on my OM-01 and use it strictly for fingerpicking. Flying fingers with so little resistance is a lot of fun. Okay, maybe I am a wimp. 
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 04:42:42 AM »

Not a wimp,my problem is I can't really feel light strings and bending light strings after years of using heavies means I can bend like crazy.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: