Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Lyric Mic System from LR Baggs  (Read 15877 times)
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »

This new mic system looks very promising.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 06:02:25 PM »

I just sent them an email asking for my cost so I can order one and put it thru some pace's.I already love the Anthem SL and pretty much most of there products both as a user and my client responce to there stuff has always been "Happy camper here,Thanks".

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 03:50:22 AM »

I'm interested as well.  BTW - I should have gone to hear Sierra Hull this summer here in CO.  She's an amazing player.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
brandon
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 04:13:15 AM »

News of this almost kept me from ordering the M80. May have to try one out if the M80 doesn't measure up.

in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 04:33:29 AM »

The M80 active is a very nice pu,doesn't have that metalic sound of most soundhole pu's.If the Lyric can stand up without the help of the UST thats in the Anthem SL which I really like life will be good for me.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 03:53:02 AM »

I got a copy of the CD for Anthem and after a few seconds shut it down due to waaaaaayyy to much processing of the signal.I'm trying to put the funds together to get one so I can review it.Like I said if it sound as good as the the Anthem SL it will be a good thing.The Anthem use's the UST for bass responce.It come's set for and 80{mic}/20{UST} mix which is adjustable and I was able to get set it a 85/15 mix with the adjuster.BUT if I can get a 90/95% natural mic tone with the Lyric I buy at least 4 more just for my own stuff.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 07:38:29 AM »

At the risk of sounding crotchety   ohmy

Is the Sierra Hull video the only sample?
Scroll down a bit  bigrin There's more

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 06:14:12 PM »

The problem is that there studio recordings and were theres and engineer there is a brain cell that say's "I must add processing to really bring it out.I can say this as I'm an engineer {old school though} both live and in studio.If I had listened to the CD for the Anthem SL I would not have bought it but since I'm always looking for a better way to amplify an acoustic guitar since mic'ing has become so hard due to enviromental and volumn issue's when playing with electricfied guitars.I will be getting one to try out in both live and studio work and make up my own mind,whats left of it at least .

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 08:54:37 PM »

In the digital recording world nothing is transparent.When demo'ing a pu flat responce and no effects should be the rule sit in front of a mic or two on seperate tracks strum,fingerpick,play in a tuning should be the rule.When we went to record the demo for our duo the guy doing the recording pushed some button that said "modern acoustic guitar",he couldn't remove it fast enough.Thats the sound I hear when I get a demo of a pickup and to my ears...well "sounds like s**t" over processed,not how my guitar sound,sounds like everyone else.When playing thru a mic even an internal the sound should have what I call "Breath",like I'm sitting in my room playing or as close as possible.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »

angry

Having just replaced an iMix with an Anthem SL, I'm a little ticked that this is coming out now as it sounds even better than the Anthem SL.  I wonder if they will offer "upgrades".

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 01:08:52 AM »

angry

Having just replaced an iMix with an Anthem SL, I'm a little ticked that this is coming out now as it sounds even better than the Anthem SL.  I wonder if they will offer "upgrades".

Don't be mad because the Anthem SL is a killer system and the Lyric won't be released for at until Feb. as far as I know plus this is  a good reason to buy another guitar 

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
247hoopsfan

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 03:20:59 AM »

In the digital recording world nothing is transparent.When demo'ing a pu flat responce and no effects should be the rule sit in front of a mic or two on seperate tracks strum,fingerpick,play in a tuning should be the rule.When we went to record the demo for our duo the guy doing the recording pushed some button that said "modern acoustic guitar",he couldn't remove it fast enough.Thats the sound I hear when I get a demo of a pickup and to my ears...well "sounds like s**t" over processed,not how my guitar sound,sounds like everyone else.When playing thru a mic even an internal the sound should have what I call "Breath",like I'm sitting in my room playing or as close as possible.

My wife's Christmas present to me was "James Taylor and Carol King at the Troubador" cd/dvd.  He plays 2 of his Olsons.  The music was great, but I did not think the guitars sounded that great.  They did not sound like $15,000 guitars.  I don't know what system he used, but the sound had that synthetic tone.

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
brandon
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 04:31:49 AM »

Don't be mad because the Anthem SL is a killer system and the Lyric won't be released for at until Feb. as far as I know plus this is  a good reason to buy another guitar 

I wish that were true about the m80. My wife watched me install it in my On my omv-50 and said: "so you could take that out of that guitar and put it in another one pretty easily, huh?"

I am excited about the lyric system though and would like to try it out. Probably wont be in my price range though.

in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 05:25:48 AM »

My wife's Christmas present to me was "James Taylor and Carol King at the Troubador" cd/dvd.  He plays 2 of his Olsons.  The music was great, but I did not think the guitars sounded that great.  They did not sound like $15,000 guitars.  I don't know what system he used, but the sound had that synthetic tone.

I don't know what othe pu is in his guitars but he use's Audio Tenhnica Wireless mic's.Depends on who mixed it for the CD and what processing they used.

Like I said I'm old school and don't use any processing on my guitar.My LS10 which is my main gigging guitar has an Active Ibeam that is run thru a PARA into a Soundtech box PA.The PA is set flat and the PARA settings are bass at 2 oclock,meds at 10:30 trebs at 11.I t doesn't sound like my acoustic when unplugged but when plugged in I'm not really playing acoustic and I need a slight different tone going up against my partners Ovation and my Guild with the Anthem SL.

I plan on putting the Lyric in my LS10 and also plan on going for as close as possible to the true guitar sound then.In the demo we did I played thru a large diaphram mic and will be using that tone for a refferance.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 05:53:35 PM »

I am quite thrilled with the SL - a big improvement over the iMix.  Better clarity and dynamics, and the overall tonal balance is far more natural.  Downsides are that handling noise is still an issue as it was with the iBeam (maybe a tad worse - that's the nature of the transducer and mic beasts I am realizing) and although the low end is quite good it is still a little piezo-ish (since it is the Element after all) for my tastes.  That's what I hear improved in the Lyric sound clips.  Plus, losing the undersaddle is a big positive in my mind.

But not even a month installed and now I hear there is something better - aarrgghh!  A new guitar is not going to happen since I have to thin the heard a little first, and even then I would probably get a tele (oh a Bakersfield would be so nice!).

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 02:46:45 AM »

Gord theres an adjustment screw on the volumn control I don't remember which direction to turn it but you do have the ability to reduce the amount of piezo in the signal down to about 10-15%.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 04:19:39 PM »

Gord theres an adjustment screw on the volumn control I don't remember which direction to turn it but you do have the ability to reduce the amount of piezo in the signal down to about 10-15%.

Thanks Rob - I did spend some time playing with that adjustment to get it just right.  It's not that I think it sounds bad, it just doesn't sound as natural as a mic in the low end.  But for the sake of others considering the Anthem, I don't want to exaggerate what is actually a very minor criticism of the Anthem SL.  It is an incredibly good and natural sounding pickup and I think the best thing about it is it's natural clarity and tonal balance.  If the Lyric is an Anthem improved to the point where the undersaddle isn't needed for the low end, then I would have chosen the Lyric.  If the Lyric is just an Anthem without the undersaddle (not improved at all) to hit an even lower price point, then I'm not so sure which I'd have chosen - I would have to hear an A-B or more clips to see if maybe the Lyric is lacking a bit in the bottom end.  I will be interested to find out the price of the Lyric when it is released.  As I am writing I am thinking now that it's probably going to be their entry-level pickup rather than a better Anthem.

Gord

pigtown

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 04:42:36 PM »

Last dvd I saw of JT he had some outlandish mount for a mic near the soundhole.  Dougie MacLean also uses some sort of "coathanger" mount for a mic as well.  Wouldn't it be great to have something like that with a decent sounding mic to move from guitar to guitar easily??  Anybody know what they use?
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 05:57:48 PM »

The list price on the Lyric will be $289,the Anthem SL has the same list price.

Last dvd I saw of JT he had some outlandish mount for a mic near the soundhole.  Dougie MacLean also uses some sort of "coathanger" mount for a mic as well.  Wouldn't it be great to have something like that with a decent sounding mic to move from guitar to guitar easily??  Anybody know what they use?

The prblem with moving the mic from guitar to guitar is if your playing out each guitar my require a different eq.The systems that are available all have a removable clamp so you can move it from guitar to guitar.I haven't had a chance to get to the hardware store to see if I can make one myself but I'm sure it can be done.The GHS mic that I use mounts with velcro and moving it just means putting a piece of velcro on each guitar.I just bought one for each guitar as I run them thru the PARA for better control of the EQ and the pre amp in them helps with the volumn at a touch instead of at the PA.At some point I'd like to get a couple of good mic preamps for them,though right now I just bring 2 guitars to the gig's.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 05:05:31 PM »

So Rob, when 're you getting the Lyric Bro? - can't'wait for ya'r review 

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: