Ordered a custom L series!

Started by NatalieS, December 22, 2012, 07:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The wait is not easy.. oh no..
Congrats on your new kid, hope you bond with it.
That headstock makes the guitar all the sexier..  :nice guitar:

Waiting for pics! And a sound test of course ;)

Congrats ! :nice guitar:
Larrivée L-05 Vine
Emerald X20

"Be & Remember ☮"

Wow this is going to be a killer - congratulations, and good move to commission via Wildwood - Marty and Don are nice people. I've had my eye on one of their customs for a while now....  :drool:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Congratulations, NatalieS.
And welcome to the forum, albeit somewhat belatedly.
I met a guy last night at an open mic who told the nicest story about Wildwood Music and his transaction with Don and Marty. Made me want to run out and buy a guitar from them right then and there.
I was going to try to get down there this coming Saturday but life got in the way. (I heard they are hosting a special guest.)

I also had a really nice Taylor I was never able to bond with, and I customized my L, too.

I'm another very satisfied customer of Wildwood; they are a pleasure to deal with.  I bought a custom L-09E from them which is not only great to look at but sounds better than any guitar I've ever heard.
Larrivee RS4 Forum V  (#7)
Larrivee custom L-03 ZW
G&L ASAT Special
Fender Stratocaster (Eric Clapton Signature model)

Quote from: Queequeg on March 13, 2013, 06:54:40 AM

I was going to try to get down there this coming Saturday but life got in the way. (I heard they are hosting a special guest.)

Is anyone planning on going this coming Saturday  :? Would luv to hear your experience!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Don told me a few weeks back that Jean was coming to see them, but its rather a long way from the UK to Coshocton!

Would love to get the chance to talk to the man who made my Custom C10 and ask him a few questions about my hopeful new purchase for 2013!
Larrivee Custom LCJ-10-12E 'Baby Dragon' and vine-of-life inlay
Larrivee Custom C-10E 'Ddraig Bach' ('Baby Dragon')
Gibson Les Paul Historic '59
Legra custom-made Les Paul Doubleneck
1967 Shaftesbury LP Black Beauty copy now with Bareknuckle humbuckers and 1959 spec wiring loom.

Thank you for the responses!  I know I am new to some of you so here you go...  :donut :donut :donut :donut2  :wave

Yes, I would highly recommend Don and Marty to anyone. They were so kind when dealing with my (rather picky) ideas for my custom.  It was a blast to talk to them on the phone-- wish I could get up there to say hi.  I envy everyone who gets to see Jean during his visit there!

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 13, 2013, 09:00:12 AM
Is anyone planning on going this coming Saturday  :? Would luv to hear your experience!!

New poster but long time lurker. Donuts for all:
:donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut

I just returned from Wildwood Music and having had the chance to meet and talk with Jean Larrivée. He was incredibly gracious, humble, and personable. Don and Marty were gracious hosts and all of the kind words posted about them are true and then some.

I brought along my L-27 and L-41 and Jean was kind enough to pose for a few pictures holding them.

Lovely photos!  I wish I could meet Jean someday.  I have great respect for his family's work ethic and, beyond that, he just seems like a really sweet guy.

Still waiting for my guitar.  I'm sure that the headstock inlay adds to the build time.  Can't wait for her to get here. :-)  I emailed Don and Marty to ask for an update.  I can't help being a little nosy!

I got an update today saying that my guitar won't be ready until July.  :crying:  The wait is excruciating! I shouldn't have requested so many unique specs...

Oh well...  I know it will be worth it, when it finally gets here.

I saw the guitar today. The neck got the 2nd coat of pore filler today, and the body paint is already completed. She's a beauty. I rough neck fit the guitar a couple of weeks ago, and Jean sanded the neck just before he left for Japan. Wendy did a really nice job on the engraving. The guitar will be completed fairly shortly - by month end for sure.

:+1: Wow that'll be a stinger - congratulations!
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Don & Marty have this "understated" L-10 which is more or less made to a similar spec withouth the bridge and fretboard inlays, I like it a lot. It hasn't got a headstock-inlay though.
http://www.wildwoodmusic.com/larrivee-guitars.html

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on June 06, 2013, 11:32:35 PM
I saw the guitar today. The neck got the 2nd coat of pore filler today, and the body paint is already completed. She's a beauty. I rough neck fit the guitar a couple of weeks ago, and Jean sanded the neck just before he left for Japan. Wendy did a really nice job on the engraving. The guitar will be completed fairly shortly - by month end for sure.

Hello Matthew, it's a pleasure to hear from you and I thank you for the update!  I am so looking forward to this guitar, and I love that every guitar's build is really a family effort for your family.  The wait is tough for sure, but all good things are worth waiting for.  :smile: Thanks so much and take care.

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on June 06, 2013, 11:32:35 PM

How's that for personal attention? wow!  :donut :donut2 to the Larrivees
:smile:

Update-- the guitar is done!  It went to Don and Marty and is going to be delivered on Monday!  Now here's the killer... This morning the Fedex tracking said, "On vehicle for delivery". However, I called them and it's literally sitting on a truck 30 minutes away, which won't go out until Monday.  I am so worried about it sitting on a hot truck all weekend!  The rep told me there's no way I can pick it up this weekend as there's nobody working at that location over the weekend. Even when I told her it was a musical instrument that can't be exposed to extreme temperatures, she said there was no way to change the situation.   Oh the pain!  I hope my baby will be ok!

The highs this weekend are mid-80s.  Hoping for the best....

Quote from: NatalieS on July 13, 2013, 07:26:41 AM
Update-- the guitar is done!  It went to Don and Marty and is going to be delivered on Monday!  Now here's the killer... This morning the Fedex tracking said, "On vehicle for delivery". However, I called them and it's literally sitting on a truck 30 minutes away, which won't go out until Monday.  I am so worried about it sitting on a hot truck all weekend!  The rep told me there's no way I can pick it up this weekend as there's nobody working at that location over the weekend. Even when I told her it was a musical instrument that can't be exposed to extreme temperatures, she said there was no way to change the situation.   Oh the pain!  I hope my baby will be ok!

The highs this weekend are mid-80s.  Hoping for the best....
Mid 80's are great. You are worrying about absolutely nothing.

Quote from: dependan on July 13, 2013, 07:52:56 AM
   Mid 80's are great. You are worrying about absolutely nothing.

I really hope you're right-- I just fear mid-80s becoming mid-130s in a truck that's parked in the sun all weekend.

I did my own tests in over 100 degree weather in the trunk of my car and had no damaging results from it at all. If window glass allowed solar gain, then you would be in big trouble.
  Inside a case and a shipping box, probably sorrounded by other boxes and inside what  is most likely an insulated truck/van you won't see temperatures reach that high inside the guitar case.