Anyone Tried Turner Guitars?

Started by Fisherman, January 08, 2005, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I think they are a relatively new company. I went into my local guitar shop and he has just started stocking them. They are basically a rip off of Taylor I think but they are machine made rather than hand crafted. I was massively impressed with the woods they were using and the sound and playability were incredible. As far as I can gather they are a whole lot cheaper but the proof is in the pudding.

I was thinking of taking my Larrivee down to play alongside their rosewood/sitka model just to put my mind at rest. They use b-band too.

Part of my problem is I am so worried about damaging my Larrivee that I don't play it as hard as I would a 'beater'. My old Takamine took such a hammering it is a joke to look at but at least I wasn't worried about damaging it!!

QuoteI think they are a relatively new company. I went into my local guitar shop and he has just started stocking them. They are basically a rip off of Taylor I think but they are machine made rather than hand crafted. I was massively impressed with the woods they were using and the sound and playability were incredible. As far as I can gather they are a whole lot cheaper but the proof is in the pudding.

I was thinking of taking my Larrivee down to play alongside their rosewood/sitka model just to put my mind at rest. They use b-band too.

Part of my problem is I am so worried about damaging my Larrivee that I don't play it as hard as I would a 'beater'. My old Takamine took such a hammering it is a joke to look at but at least I wasn't worried about damaging it!!
The only Turner guitars I'm familiar with are the Renaissance guitars by Rick Turner, which these aren't.  In any case, I would probably frame the comparison a different way.  Most of the Taylor process is automated and machine-driven, and the distinction between their approach and most is the level of particularity that goes into their process-design.  So, there's likely a significant difference in the attention to process *detail*, but not necessarily between the mechanics of the process itself.  

All that said, if the instrument recommends itself on sound and feel/playability, it's certainly worth considering, especially if the price is right

Hope this helps.

Michael