I think I saw Paul (might have been Peter) with a Larrivee

Started by lmacmil, December 17, 2012, 04:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was watching PBS the other night and Peter (or Paul) was doing a promo holding his guitar.  It sure looked like a Larrivee but there was a thin piece of tape covering the logo.  The headstock shape and trim looked like a Larrivee to me.  Anyone else see this?

Also not sure whether it is Peter,Paul or Murray. He plays a Larrivee but declines to promote the Larrivee brand. On the other hand, I play Larrivee guitars and I enjoy promoting their wonderful guitars.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Yes - Peter Yarrow (the short one) plays Larrivees.  He typically puts a rubber band or something around the headstock to obscure the Larrivee logo - a true hippie.  According to this story, he owns the first Larrivee steel-string.  First model or first actual guitar is not clear.
Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active

I have seen people cover up the name on the headstock before and I have to say I have never understood it.  If you are playing a guitar you really love, why would you want to hide from everyone what it is? 

Would you be surprised that it doesn't say LARRIVEE on the headstock? My '75 doesn't and I believe his is a '74.

Way back in the day of TV you needed permission to from the companies and pay them a royality unless you were an endorser.Plus no free advertising.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Peter Yarrow's L-09 was legendary in that he had it stolen in an airport and then it was returned to him many years later. BTW: He will be playing as a duo (with Michael Johnson) in April at Swallow Hill here in Denver-I've already got my tickets!
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 18, 2012, 09:50:46 AM
Would you be surprised that it doesn't say LARRIVEE on the headstock? My '75 doesn't and I believe his is a '74.

My 1988 D-10 doesn't either but it does have a griffin inlay on the headstock.

I wonder if Peter covers up all the other logols in his life... his car , his TV , his  iphone , the name of his group etc etc....or does he just have a thing about Larrivees ?
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Could it be he refuses to promote his great guitar if there's nothing in it for him? Hippies wouldn't do that.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: Dr. LJ on December 18, 2012, 06:39:30 PM
My 1988 D-10 doesn't either but it does have a griffin inlay on the headstock.

My and, I believe, Yarrow's original Larrivée have blank rosewood veneer headstocks. I've always loved the look. I also enjoyed the moment when someone would ask what kind of guitar it was and the blank look that came with my response. I kind of enjoyed not having a popular guitar but instead having a better one. So either this is a different Larrivée, he's embarassed by what I liked, he's screwing with us or he needs an elastic for picks or some other arcane need. People do love to jump to conclusions though. 

Jumping to conclusions is the only exercise some people get! :tongue:

I need to make another trip to Thunder Bay and check out your Larrivee stash.

LJ

Quote from: Dr. LJ on December 19, 2012, 07:43:42 AM
Jumping to conclusions is the only exercise some people get! :tongue:

I need to make another trip to Thunder Bay and check out your Larrivee stash.

LJ

Yes you do. I have beer too.  :smile:

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 19, 2012, 07:35:22 AM
I kind of enjoyed not having a popular guitar but instead having a better one.
:+1:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

although, at my open mic last Friday, I had 4 different acts use Larrivées! i was stunned. It was all Larri and Guild that night.
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"

I was wearing my Martin shirt yesterday and a fellow asked which one I had. I told him none, but I had a 37 and a 93 year model etc.
But I also said I have a lot of guitars though. And he asked what kind. And the only brand I mentioned was Larrivee. He said that he did own one a while back.
   I find that many of the gig players (band members) do know the Larrivee name around here. But most play Martin, Taylor, or Gibson. Anyone of the good players that plays my F-III is always impressed.

Quote from: dependan on December 19, 2012, 01:07:06 PM
   I was wearing my Martin shirt yesterday and a fellow asked which one I had. I told him none, but I had a 37 and a 93 year model etc.
But I also said I have a lot of guitars though. And he asked what kind. And the only brand I mentioned was Larrivee. He said that he did own one a while back.
   I find that many of the gig players (band members) do know the Larrivee name around here. But most play Martin, Taylor, or Gibson. Anyone of the good players that plays my F-III is always impressed.

In the mid 70's when I got my first one to the late 90's virtually no one I encountered in person or on-line had heard of or knew about these guitars. So things are slowly changing.   

Quote from: Tio Kimo on December 19, 2012, 11:06:05 AM
although, at my open mic last Friday, I had 4 different acts use Larrivées! i was stunned. It was all Larri and Guild that night.

Amazing!  I have done 50 open mics at 5 different venues in 2 states over the last 5 years and have never seen a Larrivee other than mine.

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 19, 2012, 06:57:39 PM
1975 L headstock.

So prove it's a Larrivee, then.  :humour:
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar