Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What pedals are you using?  (Read 3631 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 09:21:30 PM »

Duck,

What's your take on the Boss FRV1 Reverb? I've read some mixed reviews of the Nano one I linked above, and a few mixed reviews of the FRV1 - some say it loses some volume or signal when engaged - what's your experience?

I've only had it for a couple of weeks and haven't had the time to totally explore it but since my Mackamp has no reverb like the Fenders I'm used to, I felt I needed it and my original impression is fairly positive. The surf guys may not but I'll give it a qualified thumb's up.
Interestingly enough, I gave a demonstration of what pedals could do to my girlfriend's daughter and her fiancee (a budding guitarist) the other night and they were mightily impressed with my Edgy abilities.  
Lastly, my Mackamps Gem is an amazing little critter. Oh and I LOOOVE my volume pedal. 
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 09:27:09 PM »

For electric guitar:

Korg Pitchblack tuner
Morley Wah/Volume
DIY BC108C Fuzz
Boss CS-3 opto-plus modded compressor
RAT
Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive

in front of amp and then in the effects loop

Cool Cat Chorus
MXR 2000 Phaser
Cool Cat Vibe
DIY Dual Tremolo
Morley Little Alligator volume
EHX Memory Toy
Hardwire Reverb

And they are all on all the time.

Actually, reverb is always on, delay is almost always on for slapback, compressor is often on for clean sounds, dirt is used for occasional soloing, and all of the others are mostly just there for my own amusement.  I will eventually be adding a Mu-tron Micro-V clone or something similar.

For acoustic guitar and bass I sparingly use a Boss CE-20 chorus and that's all.

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
Long813

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 10:21:07 PM »

Own:
GCB95 Modded Wah
JamMan Stereo

To Build:
Custom RAT
Snow White Auto Wah
Tons of others

Want:
Turbo Tuner
MXR 10-band EQ

Mostly functionality here. Wahs are great for funky stuff and the RAT would be a fun project so I want to make one :D I just need the money to afford everything.

Signatures are for losers.
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 11:32:34 PM »

Hi Everyone,

TC-Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX

I don't use the harmony stuff, (neither good nor bad, just not me right now). But I do like that the harmonizer/processor has
  • Phantom power for my microphone (Neuman KMS 105).
  • Some nice microphone processing (they call it Adaptive Tone).
  • TC-Electronic guitar amp modelling (because I play electric guitar around 50% of the time even in my solo shows). The amp modelling is all TC-Electronic quality and it's very nicely done.
  • It sits on the floor at my feet allows foot switching for the amp modelling. With the optional foot switch you can kick in effects or gain easily.
  • The big one - I can mix and control the relative volumes of the guitar and the microphone with a unit at my feet.

I like this thing so much that I recently bought a second one for the studio and backup.

A little context:
While I've got LOTS of tube gear, I've been trying to travel lighter these days. I'm out in front of folks playing several times a week. When I'm doing my own shows, those are 50% acoustic guitar / 50% electric guitar, and vocals throughout. When I'm playing with others, I'm almost always playing electric guitar and singing.

I always travel with my own amp for vocals and guitar. Not the subject of this post but for reference that is either a Bose L1® Compact (small shows) or a Bose L1 Model II (everything else)  I'll refer to these as "the L1®".  For my own shows I always use the Bose T1®, and a PorchBoard Floor Bass. If anyone wants to talk Bose - please see me over at the Bose L1® Forum. Now back to the topic at hand.

I'm usually several feet from the L1®. I like to control the vocal volume at my fingertips or feet. Since I prefer to use a microphone that requires phantom power, and use guitar amp modelling in most of my shows, I need a little more than I can get from the L1® alone, so I use some kind of processor on the guitar.

I got away from individual pedals a long time ago. I've been through the Line6 XT Live, Line6 HD300, Line6 HD500, Roland VG8 through Roland VG99 (still use this), Roland GT-100.   Before all of that I went through tonnes of rack-gear. My favourite was the TC-Electronic G-Force for effects. And I still have lots of tube stuff in the studio rack.  I just don't take rack-gear out to gigs any more. It's too much work.

I also like to keep things consistent in my set up across shows. So for me, I like to have the same gear in front of me regardless of which L1® I have behind me. So in my mind the interchangeable part is the L1® or on very rare occasions someone else's PA.

BLTQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 03:36:48 AM »

The pedal that I consider a "must-have" is my Marshall Guv'nor.  Best distortion pedal I've ever tried, and I've tried a ton of them.  They're not even expensive. Bought mine second-hand at Guitar Center for $35 3 years ago I believe.  Great for classis rock tones.

2010 RS-2 w/ P-90s and flamed maple top
2002 Les Paul DC
2007 MIM 60's Strat
2012 MIK Steinberger Spirit GT-Pro
1995(6?) MIJ Jackson Soloist
1989? MIK Washburn KC-60V w/ DiMarzios
2013 YRG-1000 Gen 2 Guitar Synth
2004 MIJ Takamine AN10
Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 05:27:39 AM »

Boss DM-2 analog delay.  Adds a nice little 50's style slap or dial it back for just a bit of ambiance beyond reverb.   I'm far more into clean tones these days but I will occasionally use a DOD-250 for a little crunch.  Someone made a comment about OD pedals that don't take away bass.  This is one of them and I like it for that reason.  I tried a couple others but didn't like what they did to the overall EQ.  I bought these pedals around 1980 and they still work just fine. 
The amp has a real nice sounding reverb which I use to some degree most of the time.  The tremolo is fun to play around with.  If I've been listening to Buddy Miller I'll sit down and give the tremolo a work out.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 06:28:23 AM »

I'm "pedal challenged".  So far the only pedals I use are the footswitches that come with my amps for either switching channels or turning effects off or on.  I've also got a simple switch box so I can switch between acoustic and electric guitars into the same amp.   The acoustics go into a Baggs Paracoustic DI then into the switch box, then into the amp.  The electrics go directly into the other channel of the switchbox, then into the amp.  I've been relying on the pre-amp and amp settings to get whatever tones I need.  I haven't even explored all of those options enough yet.  I seem to be able to get all the sounds I need for now.  Throwing pedals into the mix at this point would likely confuse and/or overwhelm me.  wacko

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »

If I've been listening to Buddy Miller I'll sit down and give the tremolo a work out.

Another Buddy Miller fan!

+1

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »

I'm "pedal challenged".  So far the only pedals I use are the footswitches that come with my amps for either switching channels or turning effects off or on...   

I seem to be able to get all the sounds I need for now.  Throwing pedals into the mix at this point would likely confuse and/or overwhelm me.

Since you own the Superchamp XD, Superchamp X2 head and Fender Mustang I amp, I would think you'd have a lot of pedal tones covered pretty well! 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 06:07:02 PM »

Another Buddy Miller fan!

+1

Here too. I gather he uses a Fulltone trem.
Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 08:20:27 PM »

Here too. I gather he uses a Fulltone trem.

I don't have a clue what equipment he uses but I usually see a Vox amp behind him.  His use of tremolo and the overall tone he gets is right up my alley.   I like the fact that he chooses old long forgotten guitars that appear to have original pickups and he gets that great tone with them. Regarding his playing...  How he accompanies another player and the wonderful way he handles a lead break that just fits perfectly with the song is why I love listening to him.  

Sorry to briefly highjack a pedal thread but I'm happy to see some other Buddy fans here.  Makes sense to me though,  Larrivee players have such good taste!
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 04:14:07 AM »

Since you own the Superchamp XD, Superchamp X2 head and Fender Mustang I amp, I would think you'd have a lot of pedal tones covered pretty well!  

That's very true.  As I was saying, I haven't even explored all of those or discovered how to get the most out of them.  When I play with our band using the Superchamp X2 head, (mostly the Gretsch with P90's) I basically have 2 sounds, a clean and a "dirty".  Right now my dirty channel is set to voice 11 defined as "70's British".  I have the gain right in the middle at "5".  The reverb effect "classic Fender spring reverb" is almost always on at a low to moderate level.  About the only other effects I switch it to is the tremolo, and for rockabilly, "Reverb + Delay".  I'm the rhythm player, though and don't do much soloing.

With the acoustic, I just use the clean channel and reverb.  Once in a while, I change the effect from reverb to one of the chorus choices.  To help me remember where settings are on the dials, I enlarged the charts that come in the manual with my scanner, then laminated them and attached them to the amps with carpet tape.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

SMixon

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 01:44:48 PM »

Signal Chain in order

Boss TU-2 Tuner.  I used to run straight into a JHS little black buffer when I had more pedals, but the buffer in the TU-2 works just fine.

JHS "DYNA ROSS" Compressor. (Modified dyna comp with Grey Ross Mod)

Xotic EP Booster

Xotic AC Booster (Great Overdrive!)

JHS KLON KlONE- Utterly Amazing pedal.  Nice transparent mid range and over all excellent boost pedal.

BOSS Passive Volume Pedal

Way Huge Aqua Puss Analog Delay

BOSS DD20 Digital Delay

BOSS RV-5 Reverb

I used a two channel true bypass looper from American Loopers for my xotic AC and EP booster. These pedals are already true bypassed but I like my overdrives to be right at my feet since I turn them on and off so much

A Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet makes it's way on and off the board as do a JHS little black buffer and a Tremolo from time to time.

George L'S Patch Cables and Lava Guitar Cables used.

All on a Pedal Train 3

Taylor 512
Fender 2013 American Standard Telecaster
Vintage Gibson J-45
Therdrail Amp
Carvin Nomad Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not
dlsteel

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »

The boxes I use right now are:  seymour duncan double back compressor , the duncan twin tube classic with a tubulator in front if it. A boss choirs , the EVH phaseshifter , a zach wild crybaby , a duncan dajavu tap delay and a boss bluesdriver od. The dejavu is a game changer. The only peddle that I would like to add is an old tube screamer to replace the tubulator. This board gives me lots if options that sound "real". All is runed thru my 65 deluxe and that has a reverb and tremolo peddle. It took a long time to get here.
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 09:13:05 PM »

I chimed in before on this one-

I got tired on getting on my knees on stage to make changes so i tried a used johnson J station and I loved it.
sort of a desk top affair with MUCH more changeable parameters than a POD, and then added the J 8, floor controller, (neat and tidy) basically with dedicated, reverb, efx (trem) and delay, then bank up/down, for other edited amp/cab presets.
of course a dedicated volume pedal/wah.  I can still do any quick on the fly editing, (analogue) with the J station close by.

As I use minimal effects (trem, comp, delay) it's quick and easy, many amp models with full on EQ on each allow easy overdrive when the gig calls for it.

Shall I assume all you floor pedal folks have arduously spent the time tweaking and re tweaking, so when you get to the show, no matter who's on the call, or what drummer or sound man, you don't have to get down on the floor to re tweak???

Important question, honest!

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 09:27:15 PM »

I'm really digging looking at other people's set ups.
 as I mentioned, I'm NOT a pedal guy, but I definitely use effects. so here is a picture of my rig.
I keep the actual J station on a small table near me stage set up, not on the amp, the midi cord is about 20 feet long.....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Southern Guitars

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2013, 02:21:01 AM »

This is my current setup:

Guitar (Bakersfield, Fender Strat, RS-4)

Analogman Sunface Fuzz
Wampler Ego Compressor
Xotic RC Boost
JHS Morning Glory
Xotic BB PReamp
Catalinbread Echorec
Way Huge Aquapuss

into Fender Deluxe Reverb

I sometimes change out overdrives depending on the situation but this will get the job done for just about any sound. I also have the JHS Superbolt for a little different flavor drive and a Fulltone Deja Vibe that rarely gets used! as well as a Boss TU-3 that I use when playing live.

www.southernguitars.net
Authorized Larrivee dealer
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: