Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What pedals are you using?  (Read 3420 times)
StephenM

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2012, 11:00:36 PM »

It's been a while since I've posted on here, but I check up on the electric section almost daily to keep up to date with the Larrivee electric world. So I've made a resolution to start posting more... I know it isn't New Year's, but hey, there's never a bad time for change right?

Anyways, I just picked up a new pedal yesterday and just got a chance to plug the RS4 into it. It's a radial hot british pedal and all I can say is wow. Its a real game changer kind of pedal. I was playing for an hour just messing around with the pedal and was still finding new tones everytime I flipped a switch or turned a knob. It has a 12AX7 tube right inside of it and gives some mean nasty british distortion sounds.

I realized that on here there's been a lot of talk on amps, but not very much on pedals. So what do you guys play? What do you like? Are there any that you would consider must haves?
brandon
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 11:16:35 PM »

I just use a Line 6 POD xt Live. I don't play electric near as much as I once did and it's nice just being able to run it straight into the PA at smaller venues without having to worry about lugging around an amp. Plus, I got it for less than the price of most nicer effect pedals.

It's by no means a perfect solution or set-up but it accomplishes the tasks that I require of it.

in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 12:02:18 AM »

I have several overdrive pedals that I use with my electrics:

Wampler Paisley Drive - This is a favorite right now; lots of drive available, but I really like it set to mild drive as you dig in. It is very open sounding with nice edge - IOW, it doesn't compress your tone (unless you go way over the top with the Gain knob). It also has a 3-way switch that changes the eq of the pedal - this, and a presence on/off switch give you lots of tonal control.

Ethos Overdrive- I have the amp version of this, but the original was an Overdrive pedal. It's supposed to recreate or mimic Dumble amp tones...whether it does, I wouldn't know, having never played a Dumble, and having heard that there are different Dumble tones, depending on the player he's building for... I like the tones it produces, and it's internal amplifier allows you to plug it directly into a speaker cab and get about 25-30 watts (it's rated at 30). It has a clean channel and a drive channel; the drive channel also has a Boost you can punch for solos. I can set up the clean channel to sound very close to my Carr Rambler, so this is great for keeping things simple and light. It is designed to be plugged into a cab, into the front of your amp, or into a PA (with switches to adapt it for these different uses). Nice, but expensive. I haven't decided yet if it's worth the $650 I paid for it...

Fulltone Fulldrive II - Mine is an older one - black knobs and you pull up the Volume knob to change from an overdrive boost to a clean boost (when the knob is up). I've been using this pedal for at least 5 years, and it works great as a two-stage boost in front of the Ethos (gives more control over the level of boost than the boost on the Ethos, which is preset). Will continue to be a regular...

Zoom PD-01 Power Drive - This is a sleeper I bought on sale a long time ago (can't remember when I got it) and it's just a great sounding overdrive pedal. Has Bass and Treble knobs for some nice fine tuning - you don't have to lose the low end like you do with some drive pedals. The pots on it are a little scratchy (cheap?); I would love to upgrade them if possible, but I haven't had the time to dig into it. This one also works great as a one stage clean boost with another pedal (like the Paisley) to take a mild overdrive rhythm tone into solo territory.

Boss RV-3 - An old Reverb-Delay pedal that I use mostly for delay on a few song intros that need it (then when the rest of our worship team is playing, it usually gets turned off, since it gets lost in the mix with keyboards and drums). We occasionally play the Alan Parson's instrumental "Sirius" as an intro to another worship song, and it does a great job of creating that opening guitar lick!

Read an interesting article this week in Vintage Guitar magazine about the old Mutron III pedal - wouldn't mind finding something like that (or buying the reissue) for some "auto-wah" sounds, since I hate what a regular wah-wah pedal does to my guitar tone with clicked on (the added highs bug me).

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
LeftyBlake

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 12:34:11 AM »

My current board is a CryBaby Wah, compressor, Visual Sound Open Road overdrive, Boss Metal Zone, Electro Harmonix Pulsar. I run into either my Peavey Classic 50, Epiphone Valve Junior or a clone of a Phaez 14w Daisycutter.

Thinking about sort of redoing my board. I need a delay pedal and a reverb would be nice, too.
Kazels

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 12:57:02 AM »

I don't use much but I do have a vintage Chandler REAL TUBE, Chandler delay, and a vintage Vox Wah. I use a RC Booster for solos.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 04:40:48 AM »

I have tried almost every effect that was available thru the 80's I have just one pedal a Boss SD-1.Super Over Drive,has a gain,volumn and tone. mostley use it a step up when I want a bit more bite.I also use it with my lap steel to get that Linley effect.The best thing is the tone control it allow's me to compleatly change the tone of my signal when stepping up.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 06:29:02 AM »

No 'pedals'.  No amp either.

Electric guitar:  Behringer V-Amp 2.  Pretty sure that's what I used for various guitar parts in this track - two different solos and clean tone all from my MIM Strat and the V-Amp 2:  https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/scott-lake-cerulean-sky

Bass:  Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro.  Used on this bass-dominant track:  https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/scott-lake-rest-ye-orion with a very cheap SX bass guitar.  Guitar parts were all 'in the box' with Amplitube 2 LE and some of my favorite delay and reverb plugins.

That said, I've got my eye on the discontinued Fender GDEC3 30 watt amp.  WAY cool built in modeling and effects and preset loader and tuner.  Lots of them available for less than $200.  That's a bargain, IMO.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 12:53:38 PM »

Pretty standard setup... 

guitar---Big Muff---volume pedal---Digitech 8 sec delay---Boomerang Looper---amp (preferred amp is an old Peavey Studio Pro 40)

Sometimes I'll put a chorus right after the vol pedal, but not often.  If I am going for spatial effects, I'll put a panner in and have a second amp, or two panners and have 4 small amps in various places in the room.  Sometimes, in a configuration like that, I'll have various additional DOD, Digitech, or other delays added into each leg.

I don't go for a standard blues or rock sound.  Typically, it is loopy electronic stuff.  I've never liked the multi pedals because it is so tough to adjust on the fly (depending on mood or the room).  In about 40 years of playing, I've been through hundreds of pedals, and I still have shelves filled wit 'em.  It amazes me sometimes that I end up with such a sparse setup.

Ed
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 02:59:41 PM »

If anyone is looking to unload an overdrive 'pedal' or two, I am in need of them, not for my guitar, but for my keyboard.  I bought a Casio XW-P1 which is one of their brand new pro synth line, which has a great drawbar organ emulation, except for the overdrive -which is awful.  I will have to go outboard for this.  Just looking to add a little dirt and growl.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 04:26:16 PM »

I've got two pedals and I use them often:

- Timmy overdrive pedal.  This is a really nice, "transparent", boost pedal that works great as a clean boost or for low/mid gain overdrive.  It basically takes the tone of your amp and guitar and just adds more of it, with some saturation and crunch.  A very awesome and versatile pedal.
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog delay.  I use this mostly to thicken up lead tones and warm up cleans.  This does a Bang-up job at just being a nice sounding analog delay.

I suppose I wouldn't mind having some more pedals, maybe a higher gain overdrive for really heavy stuff, but I am very happy with my setup and fear going down that gear rabbit hole.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
StephenM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 04:33:32 PM »

I don't use much but I do have a vintage Chandler REAL TUBE, Chandler delay, and a vintage Vox Wah. I use a RC Booster for solos.
What's the chandler tube pedal like?? playing the radial hot british pedal has really opened my ears to tube overdrive pedals.

I'm currently playing with  an ibanez tube screamer, a radial hot british overdrive, boss super chorus, tc nova delay and a reverb pedal that I don't like very much. I use the pedal board when I play into my bassman 50. It does well for me.

rockstar_not: Definitely check out the fender modelling amps. I have a mustang III that I use a lot and it is unbelievably versatile. I use it at home and often even take it out because it a)sounds great and b)it's so portable and light.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 06:38:34 PM »

I suppose I wouldn't mind having some more pedals, maybe a higher gain overdrive for really heavy stuff, but I am very happy with my setup and fear going down that gear rabbit hole.

You are so smart ... it's always tempting to keep trying more and more pedals, so it takes some self-discipline to really listen to what a pedal does and decide if it adds anything new or necessary to your tone. I've tried a number of other pedals and left them at the store ... you can really only use so many at one time, or your sound just turns to indistinct mush.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »

rockstar_not: Definitely check out the fender modelling amps. I have a mustang III that I use a lot and it is unbelievably versatile. I use it at home and often even take it out because it a)sounds great and b)it's so portable and light.

+1

I've played the Mustang III and been very impressed also...I'm being very tempted by the Mustang V head - which comes with the 4-button footswitch and is on sale right now at Musician's Friend for $275...an incredible price. I have a Dr. Z 212 cab with a couple Celestions in it that the 'Stang would sound great through...

...with my last child in college, I'm seriously thinking about selling/switching out some of my high end gear (the Ethos above and my Carr Rambler) because things like the Mustang sound so good, and I've been very satisfied with the tone I'm getting from some of my other gear. When you mic smaller amps in most venues these days, you can get some great tones from reasonably priced gear.

Sorry for going off topic a little!  whistling

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
StephenM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 07:40:34 PM »

I've played the Mustang III and been very impressed also...I'm being very tempted by the Mustang V head - which comes with the 4-button footswitch and is on sale right now at Musician's Friend for $275...an incredible price. I have a Dr. Z 212 cab with a couple Celestions in it that the 'Stang would sound great through...

Again a little off topic but...
That really is an incredible price. the four button footswitch is a huuuuge asset to have. it really opens the amp up for playing in live situations. I ended up getting it for my mustang III. Another thing to think about... the III is hard wired to its speaker. While it isn't a very tough mod to change that, its still not an easy plug and play for other cabs

back on topic...
does anyone have any recommendations for reverb pedals?
Kazels

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 10:07:18 PM »

What's the chandler tube pedal like?? playing the radial hot british pedal has really opened my ears to tube overdrive pedals.

I'm currently playing with  an ibanez tube screamer, a radial hot british overdrive, boss super chorus, tc nova delay and a reverb pedal that I don't like very much. I use the pedal board when I play into my bassman 50. It does well for me.

The Chandler REAL TUBE pedal is a great pedal, it contains  one 12ax7 tube and has settings for gain, level, eq. and has AC power. It can take you from a little boost (which is how I use it) to some serious crunch distortion. The pedal acts a lot like an amp with another gain stage. It works particularly nice on non-master volume amps but will really send you into metal heaven in front of a master volume Marshall or the like.
Tio Kimo

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 04:30:04 AM »

have to chuckle... a thread started to discuss electric guitar peripherals other than amps migrates to...amps..   

I am relatively recent arrival to the dark side. I'm trying to focus on musicianship, and learning the source of all the classic tones, so haven't accumulated much. I have gone through a couple cheapo pedals. I'm playing a couple of no frills tube amps, one EL84, one 6v6, neither with tremolo or reverb, so I've got one of each of those.

The drive pedal I'm in love with right now is a Klon Centaur Clone, or Klone. two gain stages and a boost, as well as tone. All in the footprint of a boss pedal. Awesome. I run it into a handmade 5f1 mostly, also have a Bugera V22 and a Mahaffay Little Lanilei, but it's the Champ that's getting most of the love.

my board:

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"
Tio Kimo

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 04:55:55 AM »

If anyone is looking to unload an overdrive 'pedal' or two, I am in need of them, not for my guitar, but for my keyboard.  I bought a Casio XW-P1 which is one of their brand new pro synth line, which has a great drawbar organ emulation, except for the overdrive -which is awful.  I will have to go outboard for this.  Just looking to add a little dirt and growl.

Let me know if this appeals to you. Goofy shape, but metal case, solid as can be and VERY versatile. Clean boost, or a drive. Setting for single coil or humbucker. Had this on CL lately, but it's still here.

PM for details

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 05:52:42 AM »

back on topic...
does anyone have any recommendations for reverb pedals?

Here are two suggestions that get lots of good reviews, but I don't own either of these:

Boss Fender 63 Reverb pedal

Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Nano

I have an old Danelectro cheapy plastic reverb stompbox that I've been "getting by" with - the Holy Grail Nano is priced right (around $120 new), so I may replace the Dano with that one...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 02:04:57 PM »

In and out of the pedal board, to make a joyful or awful noise, I use:

Boss TU-8 tuner
Boss TR-2 Tremolo
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss GE-7 E.Q.
Boss FRV1 Reverb
Boss GP-20 Amp Factory
Dunlop volume pedal
Vox Crybaby or Morley wah wah
JangleBox - compressor/sustain

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »

In and out of the pedal board, to make a joyful or awful noise, I use:

Boss FRV1 Reverb

Duck,

What's your take on the Boss FRV1 Reverb? I've read some mixed reviews of the Nano one I linked above, and a few mixed reviews of the FRV1 - some say it loses some volume or signal when engaged - what's your experience?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: