Installing a sound port

Started by cbarclay, December 10, 2012, 04:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This may help, I've there are a few pics of how Glen DeRusha cut the sound port for my SD, just scroll towards the bottom of the page that comes up on the link.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=31383.60
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Thanks Rob!
Quote from: bluesman67 on December 11, 2012, 10:42:47 AM
This may help, I've there are a few pics of how Glen DeRusha cut the sound port for my SD, just scroll towards the bottom of the page that comes up on the link.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=31383.60

That's helpful too, bluesman.  Thanks!
Chris

Excellent link bluesman. I love the body bevel as well.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Well, I did it!  I have to say that I was pretty nervous but I took my time and am very pleased with how it turned out both aesthetically and tonally.
Here are a few pics of the process.

The backing in the guitar does not seem to be ebony but maybe some kind of synthetic material.  Micarta?

1 1/2" hole saw - sharp, slow and easy

A few notes:
I finished it up to 2500 grit wet/dry paper with an oil finish on the raw edges.  
I chose not to put a piece of maple veneer on the inside as I felt the material that was already there would support the grain well and also felt that addint another layer would make it look like it was some sort of plywood.  I usually err toward simple= better.  Besides I can add it later if I want but don't feel it's necessary.
I was going to do an oval hole but didn't feel it would coordinate with the rest of the guitar (the other hole is round, so why not make the new one round as well?).
Placement was determined by how I hold the guitar when standing and sitting - aimed at my face.

I spent some time last night playing with it covered and uncovered (using tape) and there is a definite stereo effect - the sound comes out all around the guitar and makes the instrument feel and sound more alive.  I played with a stereo going fairly loudly and could hear myself really well.  I'll play live with a group this weekend and that will be the true test.  I'll report back about that.

Tonally, it's hard to say if there's any change.  It seems that there's just more of what I like about the guitar going on.

An unexpected benefit is the smell.  I love the smell of walnut and when playing every now and then a whiff of walnut shoots out at me.  Multi-sensory guitar playing experience at it's finest.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased and have no regrets.  
Chris

Good job! That looks great. From the looks of your tool bench, it seems you have a good bit of experience wit wood working.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Thanks Brandon!
That's one of my rod building benches in a corner of my basement.  In a previous occupation I was a trim carpenter and still do quite a bit of woodworking and now I have a small part-time business building fly rods. 
Chris

You did a really nice job, it looks cool. The Larrivees have said (I think on the factory tour video) that the black patch inside is Ebony veneer.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Looks great,job well done  :cheers .Really glad it worked out for you.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thank Rob!  I appreciate your help.   :cheers
Chris

Nice job and very nice photos, too.  Looks like your idea turned out to be a good one.

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Nicely done - It's an encouragement to me to finish off my unintentional sound port (removed fishman barn-door electronics hole) in my L-03.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Thanks guys! 
Scott, how are you going to go about finishing off the barn door hole?  That one seems a bit tricky to me and will require some artistry.  Maybe add some binding or something?
Chris

Great job!! Much neater than mine!  I'm glad you like the sound, I was really glad I did mine, but I'm still too scared to do it to my Larrivee!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Thanks Ben!
Just checking in after I was able to really test this thing out today and couldn't be more pleased.  I was positioned so that I was just a few feet from the drummer (never a good idea) and the guy running sound didn't do a great job but I could hear myself regardless.   The guys I play with said it sounded better than usual today in general (possibly due to me playing more confidently?) then I showed them what I did. Then they wanted to play it and they couldn't believe how good it sounded when playing it as well as out front.
Test complete!!   :nanadance
Chris

Sounds like a success to me.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Oh man, oh man...I too have a walnut L03 and have been considering this for quite a while. Chris, you just gave me a nudge... :thumbsup
If any are still wondering on the sound port, look up Tim McKnight; he is quite a luthier and has done extensive investigating on his now common practice of building with sound ports. He is also very sharing of his knowledge and will surely answer questions if you query him. A port just gives the player their own acoustic monitor--and how many of us just play for ourselves most of the time!? 

I know on my harp guitar, the second hole on the harp arm really gives me an ear-full, and I can even rest my chin on the arm and just float away!

:+1:  WOW... your guitar looks great... nice work   :+1:

Although I have yet to play a guitar w/soundport I think I want to have one installed in my larrivee... I can really tell the difference of what I hear depending on my position to the soundhole. 

Chris, what size of a hole did you cut?   Really glad it turned out so wonderfully for you......  :nice guitar:

Bobw... :guitar

Thanks Bob!  The hole is 1.5".
Chris

Chris, thanks for sharing all of the info with everyone... the pics were very helpful, too...  enjoy your guitar... Bobw... :guitar

Quote from: cbarclay on December 15, 2012, 10:29:17 AM
Thanks guys! 
Scott, how are you going to go about finishing off the barn door hole?  That one seems a bit tricky to me and will require some artistry.  Maybe add some binding or something?

My idea probably doesn't qualify for a full 'finish off' job, but I had two ideas:

1.  Cheap and quick:  buy a length of vacuum hose from the local auto parts store, find full circumference of the hole, cut the hose to length, use an exacto knife to split it down the length, and then simply feed it over the raw edge.

2.  If I follow this example given in this thread, I could put some painter's masking tape around the edge, and on top of it build a 'guide' onto the tape that will guide my dremel tool to cut out the rest of the 'rectangle' that is left over from the fishman barn door.

Here's a photo of what I'm starting with:   (Click to see a larger version)

That was a Larrivee factory install job, BTW - it's the only example I've ever seen of poor craftsmanship from LarrivĂ©e and it just happened to be on my axe.  Oh well.  I do like the 'sound port' feature, even though it was unintentional.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud