Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VOX AC4TV Amp?  (Read 3802 times)
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »

Anyone have any experience with this all-tube amp?  There are lots of high review marks on all the major review sites (i.e. Musicians Friend, Amazon, et cet.)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 11:13:31 PM »

It's a Vox, it's got tubes, it's inexpensive and probably alright. I don't trust those reviews even a little bit, however. They're all either five stars or one star. Surely that can't be the case.
I got me one of these little buggers and I'm loving it. More dough though.

http://www.mackamps.com/gem-head-combo/ 
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:20:38 PM »

It's a Vox, it's got tubes, it's inexpensive and probably alright. I don't trust those reviews even a little bit, however. They're all either five stars or one star. Surely that can't be the case.
I got me one of these little buggers and I'm loving it. More dough though.

Is it true that all Mack amps need to get plugged into a cabinet?
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 11:26:55 PM »

Is it true that all Mack amps need to get plugged into a cabinet?

Yes, you'll need a speaker cab. I have the 1x12 that they make. I bought a Heatseeker 18, as well, and the Gem on a bit of a whim. This review is very accurate and corresponds to my experience.   

Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 11:30:03 PM »

Yeah, I checked the website.  Looks real good.  It is quite a bit more when you add the amp and the speaker.

Thanks for the feedback 
Thrakazog

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 12:34:44 AM »

I actually ordered the ac4tvh and matching 12"cab this week to try my new RS-2 through. I listened to a lot of amps on youtube and such, and although you can't get dead accurate results listening on youtube, it sounded good enough to buy as a nice starter that I could upgrade with better tubes and another speaker later. I'm sure I'll invest in a nicer, more expensive amp eventually....like a carr, mack, mesa, etc....but wasn't able to spend that kind of cash at the moment.

It should arrive Monday. After I mess around with it some, I'll come back here and give my opinion. I'll also make a post in the future after I upgrade it some, to see if it made a big difference.

These are the youtube videos that convinced me to try it out -

VOX AC4TVH

VOX AC4TV
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 01:18:41 AM »

Nice videos.  I think I might order one!
srwmme

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 01:26:32 AM »

I picked one up a few years ago and love it.  I had a Fender champ 110 and wanted to experience tubes.  I'm playing a Mex Strat with stacked HB through it.
You can't beat the price, it really is a great value.  Very simple, straightforward design, nothing fancy, but has a nice sound.  I checked out the clips attached above and they are a good representation of what this amp can do (although his playing is much better than I am able to do!).  The 4W is way more than I need for my basement jamming, but I would imagine it easily holds up playing with drummer or for small venue if needed.  The ability to switch it down to the 1W and 1/4W is a nice feature to get some good drive out of it without having to disturb the neighbors.

2014 LS-03R Notable Custom
2001 Larrivee L-09
1995 Larrivee LS-05
1993 Washburn D12-YBR
1934 Gibson TB2 Tenor banjo
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 01:30:33 AM »

Thanks for your first-hand feedback.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 01:37:39 AM »

I actually ordered the ac4tvh and matching 12"cab this week to try my new RS-2 through.
Can never go wrong with 12" cab 

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
SMixon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »

It's a good practice amp.  You won't go wrong with it. Even only with 4 watts this thing will rock your house and some smaller jams. 
I'm personally not a "mod person" but there are alot of folks modding these amps. I've seen more than one review on YouTube with pros using these to demo guitars.  I'd personally get the head with the cab for the 12" speaker. 

Taylor 512
Fender 2013 American Standard Telecaster
Vintage Gibson J-45
Therdrail Amp
Carvin Nomad Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not
LeftyBlake

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 08:46:25 PM »

Definitely not an amp I would buy. For not a lot more money, you can find better options. Just my opinion.
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 10:44:56 PM »

Definitely not an amp I would buy. For not a lot more money, you can find better options. Just my opinion.

What are the better options?
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 01:39:23 AM »

What are the better options?

Really depends on your main intended use you might also consider:

Fender Blues Jr ( tube)

Fender G-Dec ( SS) ( but a wonderful practice & fun amp)

Lots of choices

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 05:09:55 AM »

Fender G-Dec ( SS) ( but a wonderful practice & fun amp)

If you're interested in something like the Fender G-Dec, then also check out the new Mustangs ... from what I've seen they're better than the G-Dec's, and less expensive in most cases, too (unless you find a blow out on the G-Dec).

I've played the Mustang III and was pretty impressed. I've thought about getting the Mustang V (100w head), which comes with the 4-button footswitch for the same price as the Mustang III with a 2-button footswitch ($275 on sale at Musician's Friend/Guitar Center). The V would work great with my Dr. Z 212 cab. I may be selling my Carr Rambler soon anyway to help pay for my daughter's spring semester at college - the V would replace it nicely, for a lot less $$ and no tube hassles.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 06:10:50 AM »

I have a couple of clients with various Mustang amps and all seem to be more then happy.The Blue's jr can go from bedroom to a gig {mic of coarse} with no problem and they sound great at bedroom volumns.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 12:26:21 PM »

I think the VOX AC4TV will suit my needs for all-tube sound.  Perhaps down the road I will get a more expensive one.  Thanks for the feedback.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 01:37:29 PM »

I think the VOX AC4TV will suit my needs for all-tube sound.  Perhaps down the road I will get a more expensive one.  Thanks for the feedback.

Trial and error and getting your feet wet will do more to educate you about this stuff than any guitar forum. 
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 02:25:47 PM »

My father in law just bought a Fender G-Dec 30, on clearance at Guitar Sinner for $199.

Incredibly versatile practice amp and it sounds right proper with his Fender American series HSS with Texas Specials in the neck and middle spots.

It's a modeling amp with a full-on practice-along feature of loaded in songs that actually preset the amp with amp model/effects combinations that match the song.  Instructive, small and sounds absolutely fine.  $199  The cabinet itself is more like a keyboard amp as it has a tweeter in it as well for the practice-along stuff, so that they don't sound midrange-only like putting music through a guitar amp. 

If you have to have tubes, then I guess go for it.  This thing will fill a small venue just fine.  AC 30 simulation in it sound good to my ears.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Tio Kimo

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 02:52:30 PM »

I have a couple friends with AC4. They both love 'em, it is what it is. A VERY small VERY portable little amp, that'll drive a cab if needed

I wanted something in that vein and ended up with this....a Mahaffay Little Lanillei 3350LT

Have had it about 4 years now.

http://www.mahaffayamps.com/little-lanilei-3350lt.htm

cost a bit more, but is actually the size of a six pack of beer, is a 30W tube amp, and will drive a Marshall 412 and sound like a plexi through a cab that size.

As a small practice amp through a 6.5" speaker, it's gainy tone monster. REALLY have to roll off the guitar volume to clean it up. it has a cool compressed tone that slide guitarists love.

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: