Acoustic Amp

Started by Clenster, December 03, 2012, 01:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What acoustic amp do you practice with?

Fishman Loudbox mini. Like It! Scoop the mids to about10 o'clock, bass and treble at 12. Slight bit of reverb and light chorus.

I have a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. that I've used off and on for years, both to plug in at home, but also on stage. It's not loud for stage work in a mixed band (with electric guitars and drums), so you would need to run a line out or mic it (we run a line out). It's one of the older ones - pre DSP effects. It's heavy, but it's a workhorse that sounds good.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Marshall AS50D.

Same applications at Mikeymac states. fine for open mic applications, or line out to board for band setting. not as big and bulky as the Acoustisonic 30, but close. Wouldn't put it up against an AR or Fishman, but for schleppin' in and out of a car, and having in questionable environs, it works.

if I had to choose between the fender and the Marshall, I'd choose the Fender. Tilts. loud enough. 2 channel, XLR in/out, and if you're on the road, you could use it for a jackstand during a tire change.  TANK.
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"

AER wonderful amp.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

I use a P.A. Acoustic  amps are silly things.  :laughin:

I use a powered PA cab with a 12 and horn and a Mackie mixer,ok 12 channels is a lot but its what I have.It does afford me to keep 3 guitars plugged in at all time's an each channel has a mute switch.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I use a Phil Jones CUB AG-100.

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 04, 2012, 02:05:27 PM
I use a P.A. Acoustic  amps are silly things.  :laughin:

I have to agree with this. Acoustic "amps" tend to colour the sound. and are more of an marketing ploy if anything.

Several years ago, while trying to front a band with an acoustic guitar, I tired several different acoustic "amps", none of them did the job.

I finally went out and bought a JBL EON 10 monitor.
worked beautifully, crystal clear,. lots of headroom, and cut through the mix beautifully.

Now I ONLY use a good quality monitor for acoustic guitar.

The Mackie SMR 150's are terrific, very portable, but the compression kicks in a bit early when you lean on them..
what would you expect for a 150 watt power amp driving a 5 inch speaker?
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Using a powered monitor.....you bypass a board entirely? Just hit the 1/4" input? Hmmph. I'm gonna give that a go.

I agree on the poor reproduction of the acoustic amps I've used. I guess I view an acoustic amp more as a all in one portable PA, for guitar and voice, and the poor acoustic quality is the price of convenience. At open mics I'll always DI into the board.

2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

Quote from: headsup on December 10, 2012, 09:09:35 AM
I have to agree with this. Acoustic "amps" tend to colour the sound. and are more of an marketing ploy if anything.

Several years ago, while trying to front a band with an acoustic guitar, I tired several different acoustic "amps", none of them did the job.

I finally went out and bought a JBL EON 10 monitor.
worked beautifully, crystal clear,. lots of headroom, and cut through the mix beautifully.

Now I ONLY use a good quality monitor for acoustic guitar.

The Mackie SMR 150's are terrific, very portable, but the compression kicks in a bit early when you lean on them..
what would you expect for a 150 watt power amp driving a 5 inch speaker?

For the small gigs that I tend to do, I use a Fender Passport PD250. For not much more than an acoustic amp, it works pretty well, is very, very portable and the Bose speakers are terrific sounding. It doubles as a great stereo, as well. I occasionally miss the lack of a monitor, however. The Mackie looks interesting. Otherwise, I travel with a SansAmp Para driver DI and plug into whatever sound system they have available. With the SansAmp, I'm good either with an acoustic or electric guitar.

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 10, 2012, 09:26:53 AM
For the small gigs that I tend to do, I use a Fender Passport PD250. For not much more than an acoustic amp, it works pretty well, is very, very portable and the Bose speakers are terrific sounding. It doubles as a great stereo, as well. I occasionally miss the lack of a monitor, however. The Mackie looks interesting. Otherwise, I travel with a SansAmp Para driver DI and plug into whatever sound system they have available. With the SansAmp, I'm good either with an acoustic or electric guitar.

does the sans amp colour the acoustic in any way?
Like over 50?

Quote from: Tio Kimo on December 10, 2012, 09:21:12 AM
Using a powered monitor.....you bypass a board entirely? Just hit the 1/4" input? Hmmph. I'm gonna give that a go.

I agree on the poor reproduction of the acoustic amps I've used. I guess I view an acoustic amp more as a all in one portable PA, for guitar and voice, and the poor acoustic quality is the price of convenience. At open mics I'll always DI into the board.

you can take a monitor feed FROM the board, or better yet, go direct into your powered monitor, the run a signall from there to the board.
The Mackie is terrific for the latter, AND you can gang them!
Like over 50?

Quote from: headsup on December 10, 2012, 10:47:50 AM
does the sans amp colour the acoustic in any way?

It depends how you use it. It has active and passive circuitry. You can bypass the driver and have it just as a DI or use it as an electric guitar amp with some colouring of the signal. Nice unit.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/paradriverdi.html

I use an older Carvin Stagemate https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=S400D

Spent the money to put a 2nd lead-acid (motorcycle sized) battery in the main unit and can go 4 hours on batteries with both speakers, or 8 hours with the main unit ... handy for outdoor gigs where there's no power.

The main unit is a little heavy for lifting up on the tripod - but handy to have all the controls right there.

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 10, 2012, 10:56:21 AM
It depends how you use it. It has active and passive circuitry. You can bypass the driver and have it just as a DI or use it as an electric guitar amp with some colouring of the signal. Nice unit.

gotta get me one of those units!great idea!

Like over 50?

Quote from: Clenster on December 03, 2012, 01:42:41 PM
What acoustic amp do you practice with?
My fingers  :roll

( :welcome: )
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 10, 2012, 10:56:21 AM

just looks like a terrific all 'round acoustic or electric pre amp/DI Thanks!
you can never fail with Pro gear./

Like over 50?

Acoustic amps? Why do you need them at home?
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

I use mine with a looper for practicing.

2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers