Slotted headstock OM - tone difference?

Started by Alexrkstr, November 23, 2012, 11:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hi guys, I'm curious to know if there is a tone difference between a regular production OM and a slotted headstock OM

For the most part, this is only a matter of appearance.  Some like the vintage look that a slotted headstock brings.  Some hate the added hassle of restringing a slotted headstock.  The tonal difference is marginal and almost imperceptible at best.

Having a 00017s that has a slotted headstock, I would say there is some slight difference to those with a really good ear.  Cant say how much difference could be due to the 12 fret vs 14 fret design (slotted headstocks seem to me to appear more often on 12 fretters).  My guitar teacher suggests primary reason for difference in tone is the difference in the angle the string crosses the nut.  A little technical for me, but I have heard that from others.  Haven't found changing strings to be much of an issue.

jeff
Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)

Quote from: Alexrkstr on November 23, 2012, 11:29:42 AM
hi guys, I'm curious to know if there is a tone difference between a regular production OM and a slotted headstock OM
no

Never noticed it before. Although, I have not played as many slotted as paddled.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: dependan on November 23, 2012, 06:48:47 PM
no

Yup.

I don't know if it is yours, but on another forum there is a thread (speckled with factual inaccuracies) on another forum right now.

If you had sensitive enough measuring equipment to record the sound and a jig to hold the guitar while exacting amounts of force were applied to the strings, you would probably be able to document differences in waveforms produced, but whether you'd be able to hear a difference is highly questionable,

Ed

I used to have a slotted headstock on an MFG 000-18GE 12-fret custom, and I currently have one on my Takamine TF87PT. Not a dealbreaker, but give me paddleheads any day. Slotted headstocks on steel-string guitars seem to me to add unnecessary fiddling to the whole business of string changing, not to mention the hazard of lancing your fingers on the ends of the E and B strings. All this "authenticity" bull - I strongly suspect that the idea of slotted headstocks came about because of classical guitars and because they hadn't come up with the superior paddlehead design yet!

I don't know why slot-heads get such a reputation for being difficult when it comes to changing strings. They are as easy as any other guitar to me when it comes to string changing.

Quote from: GA-ME on November 24, 2012, 10:18:39 AM
I don't know why slot-heads get such a reputation for being difficult when it comes to changing strings. They are as easy as any other guitar to me when it comes to string changing.
Yup. They look really cool as well.

Quote from: GA-ME on November 24, 2012, 10:18:39 AM

My thumbs-down view is not based on hearsay, but from (often painful ... ouch!   :ohmy:) hands-on experience, having owned a number of slotheads.

Quote from: ewalling on November 24, 2012, 12:01:23 PM
My thumbs-down view is not based on hearsay, but from (often painful ... ouch!   :ohmy:) hands-on experience, having owned a number of slotheads.
NOT my experience at all.

Quote from: dependan on November 24, 2012, 12:25:42 PM
NOT my experience at all.

Fair enough. I make no claims to being the most delicately-fingered plucker on the planet!

I replaced the strings on my friend's Martin 12 String slot head. That was an experience that I would never want to repeat. Ouch!!

Had to change the strings on my O-60 yesterday. It was definitely a learning experience! I think it will go better next time. Wasn't as time consuming as I thought it would be....just hard to keep it tidy.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

This reminds me of a post I saw someone make on a Fender forum about how the 70's CBS style headstock made for better "tone" because it had more mass.

:rolleye:

Quote from: LeftyBlake on November 28, 2012, 08:01:20 PM
This reminds me of a post I saw someone make on a Fender forum about how the 70's CBS style headstock made for better "tone" because it had more mass.

:rolleye:

Yikes! Let's not get that ball rolling.....it's almost as bad as the nitro vs poly argument.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Quote from: AtlasHeating on November 28, 2012, 07:50:55 PM
I replaced the strings on my friend's Martin 12 String slot head. That was an experience that I would never want to repeat. Ouch!!
I have a paddle head 12 string that I've been putting off a string change on for about two years. 12 strings are not fun anyway you look at it. :yak: