Can I get chrome PU covers and/or chrome tuners for my RS-2?

Started by madoclake, November 20, 2012, 04:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It's just vanity folks. What can I say? I like the look of chrome pu covers and chrome tuners. RS-2 is tobacco gloss. Produced Dec 23, 2010. Confirmed as having Larrivee Gen III HB's (I looked). Any thoughts?
Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"

Yes,you can order chrome covers for your uncovered pu's as an after market purchase.I'm not sure if you can get them from Larrivee.I don't know which tuners would be direct drop in but I'm sure someone will chirp in and advise you.If you can't find the chrome covers give me a pm I can help you out there.You will need to soldier them in place but its an easy DIY again if you need a hand PM me.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

can you show us a pic of your tuners?  Or, do you know what tuners they are?

My tuners are the Kluson Tulip tip tuners. I will try to get a picture posted. Thanks for your help!

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"

If you've got Klusons, the good news is there are "drop-in" replacements, that remain true to form insofar as they're typical on LP style guitars. The bad news is that the Klusons use two screws per machine. That's unusual on modern alternatives.

Grover Rotomatics will drop right in there, but will leave an exposed hole above each machine. 14:1 or 18:1 as you prefer.
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"

Quote from: Tio Kimo on November 26, 2012, 06:15:27 PM
If you've got Klusons, the good news is there are "drop-in" replacements, that remain true to form insofar as they're typical on LP style guitars. The bad news is that the Klusons use two screws per machine. That's unusual on modern alternatives.

Grover Rotomatics will drop right in there, but will leave an exposed hole above each machine. 14:1 or 18:1 as you prefer.
:+1: Never really cared for the Klusons. So much so I am contemplating having an exposed hole. Tuners and marketing seem to be Larrivees Achilles Heel  :whistling:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: madoclake on November 20, 2012, 04:40:23 PM
It's just vanity folks. What can I say? I like the look of chrome pu covers and chrome tuners. RS-2 is tobacco gloss. Produced Dec 23, 2010. Confirmed as having Larrivee Gen III HB's (I looked). Any thoughts?

BTW, got a pic (or three) of your guitar to share?

:coffee :donut
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 26, 2012, 07:19:42 PM
  :+1: Never really cared for the Klusons. So much so I am contemplating having an exposed hole. Tuners and marketing seem to be Larrivees Achilles Heel  :whistling:

The current generation of Klusons are actually made by TonePros, who bought the license to use the design. They are actually a no lash titanium gear. I was aware of their general poor performance historically, and recently took a guitar and aged everything, to take it back 50 years, cosmetically, (no relic-ing of the guitar itself!!) I went with the new TPK tuners (TonePros-Klusons) with an aged finish, and replaced the Grovers that were on the guitar. They are much lighter than the Grovers were, the guitar looks fantastic, and they are rock solid. I do some pretty crazy bending, and the tuning stability is the best I've experienced. Mind you I've only owned 5 electrics. 2 had Grovers, two had no name import brand, and the LarrivĂ©e. 

I was actually thrilled to see them on the RS-2 when I was looking at it.
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"

well maybe so. My experience historically with Kluson is they will fail and require replacement. And your options to replace are limited because of their design shape. Now maybe this is one company taken over who's product has been improved but this is rare and I am skeptical. I was disappointed that Larrivee dropped Schaller.  Guess we really won't know for another 5 years or so...  My neg experience with Klusons is hard for me to shake.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

There are seveal companies making Kluson style tuners now and they are vastley improved.Also if I remember right you can buy the keystone tuner buttons to fit on Grover style tuners if you want that vintage look from the front at least.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I haven't had any problem with the tuning on my RS-2 with the Klusons...and I notice that Larrivee is using them on some acoustic runs as well...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992