long tenon vs. extra long tenon

Started by Tio Kimo, November 20, 2012, 11:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

file this under useless information we just gotta know.

Those of you that lurk on various electric guitar forums, particularly relevant to the Les Paul style, are well aware that one of the cork-sniffers bullet points of discussion is tenon geometry. Now I'm familiar with the short vs long discussion, but it wasn't until I began researching the RS line that the term "extra long tenon" arose. Looking at the official website stat sheet, no mention is made of this. However I have come across it many times elsewhere, and in a context that makes it appear that, at least at some point, this was promoted feature of the design.

So what gives? Are these guitars "extra long tenon"? What defines extra long vs. long?

I began this post by saying it's useless info...what I mean by that is, the proof is in the pudding, and the pudding in this case is fantastic, so it matters not a lick at the end of the day. I assume the guitar will hold together, and as long as it does, and it sounds like it does, not an issue.

so...what's the story?
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"

Though I can't answer your questions I will say that the only time I'm glad that a longer tenon is used is when you have a deep double cutaway on a set neck guitar like the Gibson SG's.Of coarse the other thing that must be considered is how much of that tenon are you removing so you can install a neck pickup as to much make's the tenon lenth mute if you remove too much.

OK back to my bench as I'm dressing the frets on a bass and I can't decide between a nice evening gown or the little black dress...... :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on November 20, 2012, 12:13:12 PM
OK back to my bench as I'm dressing the frets on a bass and I can't decide between a nice evening gown or the little black dress...... :wave

HAH!!! Good one, unclrob!  :laughin:

My observation as been - with the neck pickup removed from my RS-4 - that its neck tenon is about the same as the neck tenon on my Epiphone Elitist Les Paul, which is touted as having "a long neck tenon." Both extend about halfway through the neck pickup cavity. Both guitars sound great, and both have excellent sustain, no 'dead spots' on the neck.

That's what I know, for what it's worth...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Might that explain why my RS-4 is extra  nice?  :arrow  :cheers

Rev thanks....If I remember right the tenonhas grown over the years from stubby almost useless to that neck nots going anywhere.

Many people have said that the longer the tenon the better the sustain.

:ohmy: OK I just read what I typed,Its about guitars nothing else.  :wink:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on November 20, 2012, 01:39:53 PM
Rev thanks....If I remember right the tenonhas grown over the years from stubby almost useless to that neck nots going anywhere.

Many people have said that the longer the tenon the better the sustain.

:ohmy: OK I just read what I typed,Its about guitars nothing else.  :wink:

Once again, we discover that size actually matters. Doh!