Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sitar  (Read 478 times)
jcbuggs

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2005, 01:53:26 PM »

Got the Concert for George DVD for Christmas and finally found the time to sit and enjoy it. I watched the entire show, yes, including the Indian music section. Back in the day, I never paid much attention to the whole Indian music influence George brought to the Beatles. Though of it as an interesting diversion at best. But after watching Ravi Shankars daughters performance on the sitar at this concert I was totally blown away. She was amazing. And the sitar seems to me to be a very difficult instument to master. I think I counted 14 tuning keys. And I can't imagine the callouses needed to fret the thing.

Anybody ever played one or tried to? I'd be very interested in your experiences.

BTW - If you have not checked out this DVD it is a good one. Sometimes these all star tribute shows just don't work, but the performances in this one were all great. It also reminded me of what great songs George wrote. Most of which were overshadoed by his two friends.

Joe

Larrivee L03-R
Larrivee OM-09 12 Fret
Larrivee D02
Martin HD-28V
Martin D12X1
Fender Blacktop
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 02:47:13 PM »

jc,
I also watched it over the holidays.  Really well done tribute and performances.  It is amazing how much George's son looks like a 17 yr.old George!
My family has sat and talked to Ms. Shankar, a great musician for Peace.   I, have always wanted to try a sitar--I love the drone sounds.  :P  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: