Larrivee Owner In Waiting

Started by Denis, January 06, 2005, 09:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I had been planning to purchase a particular guitar for some time but when I got Dave's message about his sale at guitaradoptions.com, I knew it was time. Time for an OM-03R.

I've been playing, and loving, my Martin OM-15 for a little over 2 years now.  Won't be getting rid of that one any time soon.  But about a year and a half ago, I had bought a La Patrie Motif.  It's a parlor sized, classical with a solid cedar top.  A sweet little guitar but I never played it much.  Just sat in the case, the OM-15 getting all the attention.  So I sold the Motif, saved a bit of money then I got the email from guitaradoptions.com...

Brown has it right now.  ETA is Monday, Jan 10...oh, I can't wait that long!!!  I am having it delivered at work.  Brown usually shows up around noon when they have a delivery here.

I have tried an L-03R and an OM-60 but not the OM-03R.  I had been looking for is a rosewood/spruce OM to contrast the OM-15.  Martin 's least expensive model with those specs is the OM-21.  While I'd love another Martin, Dave's selling me an OM-03R for less than half of what it would have cost me for an OM-21.  

That will make a lovely mix don't you think:  Martin OM-15 all mahogany and Larrivee OM-03R spruce top/rosewood b/s?  

Denis

Congrats and welcome to the family.Review required..... :)  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Yup...sounds like a match made in heaven.

My Lakewood is rosewood and thats why I'm waiting for a mahogany ForOM. I do love the sound of rosewood and spruce. Hope I like mahogany just as much!

Get a book to read over the weekend!  
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I'm in the same boat, doesn't the wait just kill you?  I went for weeks trying to decide what I wanted, and once I decided, I wanted it right then.

Mike
Mike,  Central Georgia, USA

Larrivee D60 Custom (D70)
Cort Classic Les Paul

Mike,

I've known for week/months maybe even years that I wanted an OM with rosewood b/s and spruce top...I even told Dave at guitaradoptions.com that I would be buying one...must have bugged him 3-4 times to find out if he had one in stock, double checking the price...just being a pain.  It was a question of finances.  And now, it's bought and paid for, being shipped as we speak.  My wife will be so pissed but it's going to be worth it.  Hey, at least I sold one off and paid about a third of the new one with the proceeds!  I will supply a review in the following days/weeks after having recieved my baby.

Denis

Hey Denis
Congrats, you made a great choice.  Look forward to heraing your review when it comes in.

I am also in the same boat, only paddeling the other direction.  I have a L-09 (rosewood) that I love.  Know I am looking for a mahogany guitar to compliment it.  Just might have found one.  I am going to check it out this weekend.

Hope you either have a office with really thick walls or you work in a guitar freindly environment.  I am guessing that thing is not going to be in its box when you leave work that afternoon. ;)
-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

Unclrob we are supposed to give reviews on our new Larrivees?... :huh:  
Dan
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Fender F 265-C
Larrivee OM-03
Gibson SG 62' Reissue
Washburn Rover
Late 60's Crestwood Astral II

QuoteUnclrob we are supposed to give reviews on our new Larrivees?... :huh:
Don't forget the pics and donuts/applefritters! :)

Congrats and welcome to the Larrivee family Denis!  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

QuoteI am also in the same boat, only paddeling the other direction. I have a L-09 (rosewood) that I love. Know I am looking for a mahogany guitar to compliment it.

My OM-15, like many of the Martin 15 Series guitars, is so nice.  There's something to be said for spruce tops but all-mahogany guitars have a sound all their own.  Maybe not as loud or pronounced as spruce but...like I said, all their own.  I would not give up a little brown guitar.  Suffice it to say, mahogany is sweet.  If there are any of the mahogany topped Martins or Larrivees at any of your local shops, I suggest you give one or two a whirl.   BTW, I've tried the L-09 too and that is a nice instrument.

Denis

Don't forget the pics and donuts/applefritters!

I'm not Dennis but where do I send these donuts to?... :blink:  
Dan
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Fender F 265-C
Larrivee OM-03
Gibson SG 62' Reissue
Washburn Rover

<My wife will be so pissed but it's going to be worth it.>

The way to get around that is to show her the list price, after she cools down somewhat, then show her what you relly had to pay for it.

Mike
Mike,  Central Georgia, USA

Larrivee D60 Custom (D70)
Cort Classic Les Paul

Congrats. You made a great choice. I would take the OM-03R over an OM-21 any day. And OM-21's are really nice.

Denis congrats! I'm also waiting for a Rosewood OMV-03 to arrive via Fedex. I sold a Martin SP000-16 to finance it. My wife wasn't thrilled but I got an extremely great deal from Jason at Notable Guitars. So the wait is on.

jc
jc

Dan1954 yes it's required to post a review. :)
As for the doughnuts,well I've got 35 lbs to loose so I'll pass but the rule is to contact all the members for an address. :D  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Ok Unclrob here is my review.

First off is Dave at Guitar Adoptions. If every place of business in this country would treat their customers the way Dave does, the BBB could close up shop. I can't say enough about him. Class act all the way!   :D

I love the guitar it's an OM-03. The sound is just incredible. It has so much sustain that it just sings. The workmanship is flawless. I didn't care for the Elixirs so I switched them and I am having the action lowered a bit by my guitar guy. But these are things that can be expected of any guitar.  :)

The only negative thing I can find with it is the tuners. It just seems like you crank forever just to get them to do anything. I have an Intellitouch tuner and just to get the meter to move you turn and turn. I think some better quality tuners could be used.  :unsure:

Anyway I think I will never part with this one...

Now....who wants donuts...
Dan
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Fender F 265-C
Larrivee OM-03
Gibson SG 62' Reissue
Washburn Rover