Does This Happen To Anyone Else?

Started by slim, January 15, 2004, 03:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The other day when practicing I was finally able to pull off a piece that I have been working on for three weeks.  I turned the page and did the same with another piece.  I felt on top of the world, I had reached a new plateau.  

Well, a week has passed and I am now bumbling along like my former self.  Does this ever happen to anyone else?  :(  

Man, I'll say!  :huh:  
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

all the time.How about your playin along and you play something sogreat and you can't remember it
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Yes. It has happened to me.
My biggest problem for years was I would get to the same point and then quit.
I am doing my best to continue on these days. Although I tend to bore myself from time to time. I have been purchasing a new video or book, or tryed to play with someone new, or go to a jam, or just something to shake me up a bit.
I answered an ad in the paper a couple of months ago for a guitar instructor. It turns out that it is for the City Parks Department Recreation Program. I'm now teaching a Beginning Guitar Course. Now, that will shake a person up. I am having a blast, and am helping others to pursue this wonderful gift of playing guitar. Life is good.
Barry. B)  

How about this: you're working on a piece....sounds real nice as you're starting to improve, but by the time you have it down, you're sick of it, and will probably let it slip into obscurity. I've quit playing songs that I played for a long time, and it'd be almost like learning from scratch should I start again.

Two I can think of: Beatles' Yesterday, arranged in DADGAD, by Lawrence Juber

Solfigietto (spell?) Philip Manuel Bach, arranged for pick style in Dropped D. It took me about 2 months of nothing else but! That was back in 1995, I recall.
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

I'm having fun going back to songs I used to play, and using different techniques (finger picking, different strums, etc.) on them that I've learned since then. Dug out my old Gordon Lightfoot songbook and am loving it!

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

I was running into the same problem;  getting one of my pieces down really well, sounds great. "Now" I want to play something else for a while, then when I would want to come back to the piece I had settled, but I have forgotten the progressions/changes/tempo.  I said to myself,"self, this cant go on!"  Plus, I was really concentrating on putting together a set for open mike night.  
Get yourself some chord paper.  Then when you do get something down just right, write it out best you know how; strum pattern, chords, tabs, little notes on the side.  I dont really know music notation, but I have developed something I
understand.  And I can go back "next week" and it is right there.
Hope this makes sense.

naboz

The parallels between this phenomenon in playing guitar and playing golf are amazing!