Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bakersfield tele or not  (Read 3639 times)
placoustic11

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2012, 01:44:36 AM »

So how about these Bakerfields do they sound like teles or what?
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 03:32:17 AM »

Yes they do and the new Matthew made bridge pu sounds fantastic.I haven't heard his neck pu yet but I'm sure its just as fantastic.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 11:44:14 AM »

I pretty sure Matthew tried to get the Bakersfield to sound like a Tele from the 50's.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 12:27:18 PM »

The Bakersfield is more Tele than todays Tele's 

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »

Hmmmm. I guess. Except that mine says Fender Telecaster on it.   blush
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 05:09:14 PM »

Hmmmm. I guess. Except that mine says Fender Telecaster on it.   blush
Mine too, but if the house was afire I'd take the ones on the left   

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 05:13:35 PM »

It does bring up a good question.  What tele guitars sound closest to those teles from the past?  I guess in the end it does not matter if you get the sound you like :)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »

My tele sounds a lot like a tele. My Larrivée LT-1 is a great tele-ish looking thing and although it sounds fantastic, it doesn't really sound like what I would call a traditional telecaster. That being said, I'm just jealous that I don't have a Bakersfield.   
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 06:16:20 PM »

I also have to think the list price on the Bakersfield will go up in 2013.  It seems too low.
Matthew Larrivee
Admin

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 06:28:16 PM »

What tele guitars sound closest to those teles from the past?

THAT is a really good question, and has an answer that most probably wouldn't want to hear. In designing the bakersfield pickups, I purchased several very vintage pickups for comparison and played and examined serveral vintage tele's (luckily hollywood GC is close). I have a 1950 broadcaster bridge pup, a 1952 bridge pup, and a 1953 bridge pup in my collection. Also a Champ pickup from 1950 which was destroyed in testing. The 1950 broadcaster pickup is the best of them, and compares to the duncan that we used. The 1952 version outright sucks, horrible pickup. The 53 is somewhat ok but i would describe it as "blah".  The early pickups were "hand wound" which means they are totally inconsistant and vary completely tonewise one set to the next. I should mention that all testing was done in an authentic 1953 tele bridge with brass saddles.

That tele sound that we know today, i think comes from later teles or fluke great sets of pickups. The sound that people consider "tele" is not nessesarily what a vintage tele sounds like.

My favorite tele pickups came from Alan Hammel (who is out of the business), and they embody the image that I have in my head of what a tele should be. Duncan's "Real Broadcaster" pickup is very close. The design we ultimately chose was based up the hammel, but went a little further. At one point in the testing we have 18 bakersfields in the room (one with the duncan, one with the vintage 1950, one with the hammel, and 15 variations from Larrivee). It took something like 40 iterations to nail it
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »

At one point in the testing we have 18 bakersfields in the room (one with the duncan, one with the vintage 1950, one with the hammel, and 15 variations from Larrivee). It took something like 40 iterations to nail it

That's some serious R&D.  +1

Mine sound great!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
placoustic11

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »

My next question is,are there two" pickup configurated" models of bakerfield guits and which model would you suggest for that "chicken pickin"tele experience?
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 11:42:17 PM »

The PUP Options really create two different animals. For traditional I wouldn't go with the mini hummer tho it too is nice and gives you plenty of options. I'm a poor one to ask as I got them both couldn't decide  wacko.

The nice thing about the liberator system is you can get the other and easily swap it out for the other. Can't get more flexibility than that

placoustic11

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 12:00:16 AM »

Hello Mr.Larrivee,I had no Idea that you were on this forum,
I guess it stands to reason.
Hey,now that I know your here I have a thousand questions for you............mmmm let,s see now................. bigrin
eor

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »

Mine too, but if the house was afire I'd take the ones on the left   
what color is the one in the middle?  and where did the fancy pants necks come from?  i didn't know they were options.

does anyone have pics of a bakersfield in sonic blue or whatever the red is?  preferably with a maple board.  i've never seen actual photos of them before.  curious about just how "powdery" the sonic blue is.  the white is also a winner. 

since there isn't a dealer nearby (that i know of) could i just walk into larrivee and try some out, and possible spec one out there, or do i have to go through a dealer?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: