Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Barncaster  (Read 3363 times)
placoustic11

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2012, 01:57:53 AM »

Does anyone own a barncaster or tried one ,apparently they are the best tele type of guitar out there.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 03:34:16 AM »

Did you mean the Bakersfield?

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
CJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 03:46:38 AM »

http://www.barncaster.com/Barncaster/HOME.html
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 12:25:22 PM »

Does anyone own a barncaster or tried one ,apparently they are the best tele type of guitar out there.
these kinda things I find a little amusing. The builder of The Barncasters ALASTAIR MILLER learned his craft from Sergei DeJonge who was an apprentice of .... yep you guessed it JCL. MILLER hones his craft on a part times basis while playing in a band. Sure he builds a nice guitar.

JCL has been building electric guitars since 1982/83 his craft being honed in the guitar industry for almost 50 years. The area where JCL is weak is marketing. Any other builder would have media relations piping about their new 30th Anniversary Electric Guitar - what do we hear from Larrivee nothing except the production of the Bakersfield which I would faceoff against any Tele style out their including The Barncaster. Guess JCL does his talkin by building a guitar that is top shelf that can be put in the hands of many.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 12:42:07 PM »

these kinda things I find a little amusing. The builder of The Barncasters ALASTAIR MILLER learned his craft from Sergei DeJonge who was an apprentice of .... yep you guessed it JCL. MILLER hones his craft on a part times basis while playing in a band. Sure he builds a nice guitar.

JCL has been building electric guitars since 1982/83 his craft being honed in the guitar industry for almost 50 years. The area where JCL is weak is marketing. Any other builder would have media relations piping about their new 30th Anniversary Electric Guitar - what do we hear from Larrivee nothing except the production of the Bakersfield which I would faceoff against any Tele style out their including The Barncaster. Guess JCL does his talkin by building a guitar that is top shelf that can be put in the hands of many.

+1

Amen!

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 02:48:56 PM »

Well I checked out the site,neat idea recycling old barn wood.I didn't see any price's.What I did see is another relic guitar company with a few variation's on a theme.I've assembled 50 or so tele type guitar for a few store's,we bought new parts from a few different companies we priced them under $900 and they sold off rather fast {ok if it had a bigsby it was more} what I don't understand stand is paying 1400-1800 for a beat up one.Does this really matter?

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 03:20:50 PM »

Don't know about the barncaster but that guy who builds and plays teles made from crummy pine is the link I always send people to when they start waxing poetic about whether the swamp ash from one county sounds better than the swamp ash from the county adjacent.

It helps that he's a killer tele player.

Gotta take a minute to find the link.  Found it.  www.pinecaster.com

I'm pretty sure he has some reclaimed pine guitars in the portfolio from what I recall.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »

Amen end of story 
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 06:56:19 AM »

According to whom?

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

placoustic11

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 09:35:02 PM »

According to those who own telecasters and have taken the time to play and compare the two guitars,of course they may have biased opinions or they may be right.
I haven,t try one so I can,t speak on their behalf.
So,If anyone has one or tried one let,s hear from you.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 10:33:14 PM »

I've played pine body'ed tele's and I've played tele's made from 1949 fender prototype thru too today's.Own a few 50's and 60's tele also.Now I play the partscaster that I put together.This will p*ss a few off but its about the feel of the neck and the pu's body wood only ever came into play via its weight.Some of favorite tele's were made of basswood and poplar.BUT its all about the feel and the tone.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 01:15:13 AM »

I've played pine body'ed tele's and I've played tele's made from 1949 fender prototype thru too today's.Own a few 50's and 60's tele also.Now I play the partscaster that I put together.This will p*ss a few off but its about the feel of the neck and the pu's body wood only ever came into play via its weight.Some of favorite tele's were made of basswood and poplar.BUT its all about the feel and the tone.
A refreshing voice of reason.  Pickup placement along the strings has an awful lot to do with it as well.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 05:05:50 AM »

I don't have enough experience playing the same model of any electric guitar that is made of different woods to agree or disagree that the pups and their location have a lot more to do with that model's signature tone than the actual body wood.  That would infer that the body wood is more about aesthetics and maybe weight than actual sound of the guitar.  If that were true though, why aren't more strats, teles, LPs, etc. made of cheaper woods like pine of poplar?  Doesn't the wood affect sustain for example?  And what about body shape?  Would a strat shaped body made of pine sound like a telecaster as long as you put tele pups in it in the right location and a tele bridge, neck and tele electronics?  Or would a LP or RS-4 body made of pine sound like a strat if you put strat pups in it in the right location with a strat neck, wiring, bridge and controls?

Interestingly, Stewmac now offers strat bodies in Swamp Ash, Alder, and Mahogany!!  And they offer telecaster bodies in Clear Pine, Knotty Pine, and Swamp Ash.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 02:12:11 PM »

Wood does matter to a point all I was trying to say is there is a lot more too it then just would.The original body wood that Fender used was La. swamp ash {much lighter} which is different from swamp ash.Basswood has a closer weight to La. swamp ash.Poplar has more grain and appears to be closer to swamp ash.Dlder always seemed to be a denser heavier wood.I've played tele's made from mahogany which seems to have a darker effect on the tne but throw a maple cap and depending on the thickness seems to add stronger high's.I haven't played an all maple tele but I bet it would weigh a tone.A set neck verse a bolt on will effect the tone to a point and many say the fingerboard wood change's tone.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 02:21:49 AM »

Wood does matter, but take a listen to the sound bites of the pinecaster link I posted.  Crap pine being used.  Guess what it sounds like - a danged Tele because the pups and their placement and the hardware are Tele type hardware.  Move those pups just 1 inch towards the headstock and all of a sudden you have an entirely different kind of tone.  The pups themselves matter as well, but stick single-coils with the right pole spacing at those positions on an entirely different body style, but keep the bridge the same, and it's gonna sound a heckuva lot like a Tele.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfsa5VxJp58

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 06:56:38 PM »

...why aren't more strats, teles, LPs, etc. made of cheaper woods like pine of poplar?  Doesn't the wood affect sustain for example?  And what about body shape?  Would a strat shaped body made of pine sound like a telecaster as long as you put tele pups in it in the right location and a tele bridge, neck and tele electronics? 

I think the "bottom line" answer to this is simple: customer perception. If the "old" or "vintage" Teles and Strats were made from S. Ash and Alder, then that's what guitar players want. We're a very conservative and very superstitious lot, so you change the specs away from the original at your own peril! If it's not like the original, it reduces sales, and it's just not "the same guitar."

This guitar, made with a walnut body, mahogany neck and ebony board (both from Warmoth), sounds quite a bit like a Tele in the bridge position...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
placoustic11

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »

:thumbIt,s great to be on a forum with people like you who know so much about instruments and the like.
It,s a privelage to hear from you all.
Live, Love Larrivee
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: