Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RS-2 custom shop  (Read 2370 times)
placoustic11

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »

I,m thinking of buying a Larrivee RS-2 electric,that would be the older one with the gloss finish,but I don,t know much about the P-90,s and their output,from what I,ve read the solid mahogany body gives it a killer tone.If anyone has played or owns one, can you advise me on whether to pursue buying one.Also,can anyone give me comparisons to other great electrics,ex;Larrivee vs. PRS.Les Paul,Fender etc. Thanks very much.OH,and please mention what sort of amp you,re using I,ll be buying a Traynor YGM2 class A -all tube.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 02:31:50 PM »

I haven't played one but I can tell you that the P90 pu reacts more to you strum the any other pu on the market.Strum softly and they have a very smooth tone,without touching anything strum harder and the pu's will deliever a growl that would scare a lion.As for a comparison the best would be hearing a Les Paul Special which is a mahogany body with P90's they came as both a single cut and double cut.Fender does now have a P90 guitar now I think but the bolt on neck v a set neck which some say they can hear would be a difference.I have yet to play a PRS that I like the tone of.My favorite P90ed guitar is still the Gibson Les Pauls from 52 to 55 before the added the tun-a-matic but thats me.If it doesn't hurt the wallet I think you'd enjoy a P90ed guitar.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
brandon
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 03:35:00 AM »

It will probably compare mostly to the les paul as unclrob was stating. Fender is mostly known for their single coil strats and teles so those are probably not really comparable. I have a strat and love the sound of it but I would also love a P90 electric as well. PRS is also comparable....just not as much so as a gibson. If you can find a music store that has some gibsons in stock with P90's it'd be worth the trip just to see if you like the general sound.

in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 04:03:33 AM »

I love the P90's that were retrofited into my Gretch Electromatic Pro Jet (thanks to Rob) so much, that I ordered my Forum V RS4 with P90s.  The band I play rythym in plays lots of rock n roll, classic rock and rockabilly.  The Gretch is the only electric I use in the band and we all love the sound of it.  Uncle Rob's comments regarding their reponsiveness to touch are pretty accurate.  A while back, forumite Randmag sent me this link to a vintage Gibson with P90s.  This is the best demo of how they sound that I have found to date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ATolIMMqZM&feature=fvwrel

Hope this helps.

Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

johnny37

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:18:10 AM »

I've got a Les Paul Standard with the usual humbuckers and a RS-2 with P90's.  The Les Paul has that nice thick sound we all expect from one of those.  The P90's in the Larrivee are a leaner and meaner pickup that open up a whole new world.  You'll love em.

1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty 
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string
placoustic11

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »

Thanks very much to all who replied to the RS-2 ,P90,s quandrey,your advice was very helpful have a great day.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 02:34:04 PM »

vintage Gibson with P90s.  This is the best demo of how they sound that I have found to date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ATolIMMqZM&feature=fvwrel

Hope this helps.

Kurt

Somebody get a Larrivee RS-4 in that guys hands. Very nice Demo indeed

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
placoustic11

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 02:07:45 AM »

So I did buy an rs2 all mahogany electric and it sounded amazing but I found it a bit neck heavy and not very comfortable to play only for that reason .I traded it for a blueridge ooo model acoustic which I just love to play.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »

Hmmm...I've never had a problem with mine feeling neck heavy, and I use a cheap cloth strap (Orion brand) with it.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 05:17:13 PM »

Hmmm...I've never had a problem with mine feeling neck heavy,
Me either. The RS's have a very nice balance. Be interested to hear what electric you do find balanced, we are all a lil different.

So I did buy an rs2 all mahogany electric and it sounded amazing but I found it a bit neck heavy and not very comfortable to play only for that reason .I traded it for a blueridge ooo model acoustic which I just love to play.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Jagadis

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 09:59:08 PM »

One of the nice things about the RS-2 is that the neck is so similar to my Larrivee acoustic (Forum III LS-03) that switching back and forth between the two is effortless.  I will say the build quality of these guitars is superb and the P90s are spectacular.  Love this guitar.  My two Fender Tele's are getting no love anymore :)

Jordan

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: