Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The RS-4 - Some Thoughts  (Read 1551 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:46:16 AM »

I was just playing my RS-4 through my 4 watt Gem and have to say, "What a guitar!" Really, the nicest electric guitar I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I was noodling around in A, basic rock'n'roll riffs on the G and D strings between the 2nd and fourth fret, growlin' away and got a pinch harmonic, bending the G string up a semi-tone at the fourth fret, that was as nice as any note I've ever heard on any guitar, by any player. I wish I could put it all together but I've never ... oh forget that but ... wow. I love this guitar. By the way, there's nothing wrong with the Lollar Imperials. Magnificent instrument!

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 02:31:12 AM »

drool

I don't think ML chose the Lollars by accident. They are a top shelf PUP to match a top shelf guitar. Anybody saying there is

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 04:50:58 AM »

Duck,

Agreed. Any time I plug in the RS-4 I think the same thing - just the best quality instrument. I know the Collings are nice, and so are some others that I haven't played (like McInterff's, etc.), but there's no way they're any better in quality or tone than the RS-4.

( I need to take some better outside shots...this one doesn't do it justice.)

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »

drool

I don't think ML chose the Lollars by accident. They are a top shelf PUP to match a top shelf guitar. Anybody saying there is

Only by implication. While it makes perfect sense for Matthew to develop a proprietary pickup for Larrivée, and not having the opportunity to try one but judging by the one that his dad made that's in my old LT-1, they are likely fantastic, if you have one of the older ones with the Lollars, however, you don't have to feel you need to run out and buy a new one in order for it to sound its best. Whew, that's quite a sentence!    
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »

OK. I recall when Larrivee 1st changed  to in house I had the opportunity to pickup one unheard as only had the one with the Lollars. I got quite a deal ( unable to match since :-( BUT was prepared to take a step down as for anyone that knows anything about PUP's know that Lollars are as about a fine a PUP out there.

I was quite taken aback about how good the Larrivee PUP actually was.

Ferrari or  Lamborghini  - quite a decision

As you stated in your electric comparisons I have not played an electric better than an RS-4; whether it has the Lollars or the Larrivees

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
fritferret

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 08:41:44 PM »

everytime, and i mean every time, i play my rs-4 out, i get several question about what kind of guitar it is.  people say thins like the've never heard such a deep and vocal guitar that is also very lively.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »

everytime, and i mean every time, i play my rs-4 out, i get several question about what kind of guitar it is.  people say thins like the've never heard such a deep and vocal guitar that is also very lively.
And wow!!!! I didn't know Larrivee made electrics  wacko

LaminateBoy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »

I'm halfway to having enough money in my toy account for an RS-4. I will have me one.

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 02:08:08 PM »

I'm halfway to having enough money in my toy account for an RS-4. I will have me one.

You will not regret that choice, mon ami.  

On second thought, you might already have enough for a used one.   whistling
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 02:11:58 PM »

On second thought, you might already have enough for a used one.   whistling

Duck beat me to it - a used one is a great value. 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
LaminateBoy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 03:13:42 PM »

Hmmm...that's a thought.

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)