White Bone Or "vintage" Bone

Started by 12barBill, January 05, 2005, 01:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm getting ready to order a bone saddle from Bob Colosi. Trying to decide between white bone and vintage bone. The only difference is color (not tonal). The vintage would be slightly off white or brownish.

I might like the aged look of the vintage but don't know how that will look on a fairly new LV03R with a white TUSQ nut.

Opinions?

Well knowing you, your background, and your tastes as well as I do, I would recommend...  Oh wait...  I don't know the first thing about you or what you would like  :P  
"Sometimes you wear stretchy pants, in your room...  Is for fun..."  Nacho

personally i like the unbleached bone since it has a vintage look.  my parlor still has a tusq nut with unbleached saddle and it doesn't look out of place to me since the difference isn't much.
if you get both versions you can't miss.

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

Here's a tip...get the white bone and if you decide to go vintage, soak in in cold coffee or coffee grounds. I did this with bone pins after someone recommended it and it works well.
Matt

Bourgeois Vintage OM

Better than any guitar... my two little daughters & my lovely wife

I'd go with the vintage.  White is usually too stark.

E. Shoaf

It's all about ACCESSORIZING!!! :o

But seriously...part of what looks nice is the match with your woods. Bleached bone might look good on a pale sitka top, whereas vintage might look better with a SB or cedar top.

I've heard the coffee ground idea works well--but I've never tried it. Yet another use for my favorite beverage!

"...when love comes to town gonna jump that train" --B. B. King

SD-50 Commemorative
Goodall walnut-engleman CJ
Charis madigascar-cedar SJ
Loriente Isabel pau ferro-german Classical

I've heard that the bleaching process can soften bone. Are either unbleached? I've been thinking of ordering a couple as well. Are they preshaped for the Parlor or L Series, etc...?

ken
Ken,

(It is so not about us...)

2002 Larrivee L-03 Rosewood/Sitka
1998 Larrivee Parlor Mahogany/Sitka (One of first 6 made)
1996 Breedlove Travel Mahogany/Cedar
1992 Taylor 710 Brazilian Rosewood/Red Spruce
1991 Gibson Star Maple/Sitka
1952 Levin Acoustic Mahogany/Red Spruce

I made a saddle out of black buffalo horn for my walnut parlor. I polished it on a buffing wheel and it matches the black Tusq bridge pins very nicely.  
Larrivee D-03 (1997 model)
Larrivee LS-05
Larrivee 00-05

QuoteI made a saddle out of black buffalo horn for my walnut parlor. I polished it on a buffing wheel and it matches the black Tusq bridge pins very nicely.
My Mossman 12 came with a buffalo horn nut. Seems to work well.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

No old cows please.  They barely make a good soup.  
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.