Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Owner & First Post: D-05  (Read 1151 times)
aceboympk

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2004, 07:19:35 PM »

Hello Everyone,

Thrilled to find this forum.  Wow, do I like the sound of my D-05!  I played a couple of other Larrivee's at a local shop, though they didn't have a D-05.  Then I came across a used one on another forum, UMGF, and jumped on the deal.

Although it doesn't have the same sound as my HD-28, I didn't want it to.  I wanted a sound that would be complimentary to my Martin, and the D-05 fit my requirements.  In fact, I won't even mention that the Larrivee blew just about every Taylor I played out of the water because that wouldn't be fair to Taylor. :rolleyes:

One problem that I do have is the bridge.  It is coming off, and its not due to the climate in our home.  We have a humidifier that I have set properly.  Is this a typical problem with Larrivee?

Can anyone suggest upgrades such as a bone saddle, and if so, please mention where and what cost.  I have to get the saddle re-attached, so I'd prefer to have anything done while they're going through the set-up.

Thanks,
Mark

2003 Larrivee D-05
2002 Martin HD-28

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 08:02:47 PM »

Howdy and welcome to the club.D05 nice guitars.As for the bridge coming up,it's not a regular problem.Where do you live maybe we can help you find a repair shop.$50.00 is what I charge to reglue a bridge and $25 to make a non comp saddle.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
NewStrings

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 08:16:17 PM »

Hi and welcome to the Larrivee forum!!!  Congrats as well on buying a wonderful guitar!!!  The Larrivee line is slowly but surely suprising a lot of people when they compare against the competition.  Like you, I own another dread (Collings D1) but find that they there is room in my life for both guitars.  They each have there own sound and character and serve me well.  As far as the upgrade bone sadddle thing, I have not changed my on either of my Larrivee only because I like the bright sound that the Tusq saddles provide.  But that is just personal choice and I may change and experiment one day.  

But the bridge lifting, that should not happen if you are properly humidfying like you say you are.  You might want to talk to the store where you purchased and see what can be done.  The problem may have started back at the store, (did they humidify the guitar?).  I know Larrivee is very good with warranty work so I doubt if you will have any problems.

Once again, welcome to this site, I'm sure you will finds lots of good info and a lot of nice people on this forum!

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
-CM-

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 08:40:54 PM »

You can get a compensated bone saddle from FQMS (fqms.com) for $5.98. (part #GA3WPC) They look exactly like the stock Tusq saddle, except for the color. It may take a minor bit of sanding to make it fit, plus whatever height adjustment you want.  
aceboympk

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 06:52:45 PM »

I live in Chicago.  I purchased the guitar used, so unfortunately there isn't a warranty.

I found a local shop to glue the saddle to the top, but they want $90.  The seller agreed to split the costs with me because I just received it and he's not sure if it was a problem prior to shipping it to me.

Regardless, I really enjoy the timbre sound and clarity I get from this guitar.  Trully amazing for the price I paid.

Thanks for the suggestions on the compensated bone saddle from FQMS.

Regards,
Mark
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 07:35:53 PM »

I also just (beginning of December) received my Larrivee OM-09. When I had strap buttons installed, the repair person noted that the bridge shows signs of beginning to lift, but not to the extent that he would recommend a re-glue at this time. I have humidified it faithfully since I received it, and promised him I would watch it, but that makes me a little nervous. I was hoping to switch to medium gauge strings, but I guess I won't now.

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 02:50:17 AM »

If you can fit a business card under the bridge more then just the edge get it fixed.If all you can get under the bridge is just the edge keep an eye on it.
Get the money now just in case.
I use med strings sort of I use a set of 13 to 58 then I change the high E to a 14 and the B to an 18.wonderful sound.I also use very low action.If I acn be of any help let me know.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: